NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM

Default BST gripe

I wish people did not feel the need to bump their posts solely to announce that the item is sold or no longer available. If that is the case, edit the original post to let people know it is sold and let it die.
Thanks,
JimB
Old 03-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Jim VB

We had a thread about BST etiquette about a month ago. Some people took offense. (Go figure, right?)

You are 100% correct. I suspect that most offenders do not understand the difference between an edit and a new post in the thread. They don't realize the subtle difference that results in a bump.

My pet peeve is the SmokeyBurgess type, who constantly list things and then deletes them leaving lots of blank messages. But that's just me.

Edited to show the thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=121294

Last edited by Jim VB; 03-31-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Rob Miller

Agree 100% Jim. It is common courtesy, and I wish everyone kept others in mind before they improperly bump.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default deleting

I have asked that folks not completely delete their posts. If anyone is continuing to do that please PM me. They can either get with the program or BST somewhere else. There aren't any steadfast rules over there but some regular courtesies are expected. Bumping "sold" item threads is really a no-no also. There is no reason to do it when you can just edit your post with the "SOLD" sign. I am giving some thought to having some guidelines for that area. That might help the situation. Caveat emptor as always.

One last thing. If you say you will take something and then leave and don't email or respond back for a whole day, into the next, don't always expect that item to still be sold to you. When you make a committment you need to follow up with the seller to get the transaction done in a timely manner. And yes, I understand folks have lives too but when you make a deal, get it done. thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I fully agree it, it makes no sense to announce that a card has sold, even announcing a card is being shipped or thank you and there is no longer any active BSTs. This stuff can all be handled through PM or emails. With so many BSTs active it is nice to keep non actives on the where they are.

The best way to handle the sold cards is to edit your title to SOLD and then it does not get bumped to the top and everyone is aware that your BST is no longer active.

The BST is a great place and common courtesy I think is all people are looking for.

Lee
Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
FredYoung

I think in most cases folks are just not sure what to do---Just a couple of basic guidelines in that area would probably be in order.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Scott

That doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. Ive been guilty of it at times , and will from now on consistently use the edit function only. I love rules to keep the ship sailing smoothly, but sometimes overreacting occurs. Just thoughts.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
We had a thread about BST etiquette about a month ago. Some people took offense. (Go figure, right?)
lol
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Seems trivial, 'til you're the bumpee... Put me down as one who gives a damn. I often want to flame away when it's done, then quickly count to ten.

Ive deleted threads when my item sold however. Didnt want to piss off someone reading too late, ie; "Damnit, wish I'd seen it earlier" -no need to ask why
Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default please

I will kindly reiterate that I would appreciate it if folks wouldn't delete their BST posts when they are no longer valid. Take some info out if you need to but deleting the whole thing just isn't good for the board, imo. Ya' know, if folks see they missed something good it might make them be more active and that is a good thing too. To take this a step further we could actually completely delete a post and then it would look like nothing ever goes on, which would assuredly make for less activity. Just consider it a favor to me for not deleting posts or bumping sold items to the top. Much appreciated!!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 PM

I undertand the concerns here, but I don't see enough offenders to make this a real issue. I checked the first 30 of the pre-war thread and the first 30 of the tobacco thread, and I only see one offense on each page...hardly an epidemic, right? I also don't see any deleted threads at all. So what section is this problem occuring in?

I also re-read the previous BST gripe thread and could not find a single example of anyone getting offended by having a few minor etiquette rules in place. What am I missing here?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default JP

Go to our Community area, go to the S's under members....go to Smokyburgess.....click on all posts by Smoky and then come back and let me know what you see. I don't think it's an epidemic but it's also something that does get done and really shouldn't. Not the end of the world but if we can make the place a little better then why not?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
D.B. Cooper

I have seen enough offenders over the years to make it a real issue. 30 posts is a very small sample. The posts at the very top of the page get far and away the most views. I know that I often glance at the BST front page and if I see the same first post in each category, I assume that nothing new has been listed. Many others do the exact same thing. The page view numbers (both on this site and on my imageevent site) bear that out. You knock a post off the top peg and you cut the potential page views, at a minimum, in half.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Go to our Community area, go to the S's under members....go to Smokyburgess.....click on all posts by Smoky and then come back and let me know what you see. I don't think it's an epidemic but it's also something that does get done and really shouldn't. Not the end of the world but if we can make the place a little better then why not?
Yikes....I see what you mean. I'm mental hand-slapping him right now.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Richard Cline

Just a reminder for some of us who didn't know how to change the title.
After hitting "edit", you have to hit "go advanced" to edit the title to "sold" rather than bumping the post.
Feel free to correct me if that's wrong.
RC