NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM
J@RR0D

Default Check out this scammer!

Read the fine print in yellow waaaaaaaay down below the description. And bidding is already at $2750.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Micke...item4aa9f04a64
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
John Hanssen

now up to 4500 - I did turn it in to E-Bay
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Dave

I also did when I saw it yesterday
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

WOW! That's really all I can say. What a douche.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM
J@RR0D

I guess what's also disturbing is someone who would drop $5k on a card without even fully reading the description.

I reported it after I posted it as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Patrick N.

Default wording

Umm, in the yellow I think he is trying to say that the card you are bidding on is the card pictured, right? Poorly worded
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Umm, in the yellow I think he is trying to say that the card you are bidding on is the card pictured, right? Poorly worded
I really don't think so, Pat. Look at his feedback. 66%?? And all he has sold are a few video games?? He gives no real information that someone that owns a '52 Mantle in PSA 9 would give. No back scan, nothing. I think he's simply saying he will mail you a piece of paper with a picture of that card on it, plain & simple. He's trying to make a fortune on the hopes no one will read the fine print and then they can't open a case against him because he stated what the item was... 30 lines down and in a two point font.

EDIT: If you look even further down, he posted this: "This is not the actual card, you are bidding on the picture of this card."

Last edited by scmavl; 03-31-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I really don't think so, Pat. Look at his feedback. 66%?? And all he has sold are a few video games?? He gives no real information that someone that owns a '52 Mantle in PSA 9 would give. No back scan, nothing. I think he's simply saying he will mail you a piece of paper with a picture of that card on it, plain & simple. He's trying to make a fortune on the hopes no one will read the fine print and then they can't open a case against him because he stated what the item was... 30 lines down and in a two point font.

EDIT: If you look even further down, he posted this: "This is not the actual card, you are bidding on the picture of this card."
this is exactly how I also took it, only receiving a picture of the card, sent message and never responded
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Reminds me of this Judge Judy episode where an eBay scammer sold pictures of cell phones rather than the actual phones the purchaser thought they were bidding on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii4Cjm6skxc
Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I am the current high bidder at $88,675. I hope I win so I can blast this douche bag with a negative!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I am the current high bidder at $88,675. I hope I win so I can blast this douche bag with a negative!
Ha! Go David!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Travis W.

you know the TRULY sad part of this whole farce is that the seller is probably watching this thing and chuckling quietly to himself while rubbing his hands together saying "exxxxcellent" and patting himself on the back thinking he is terribly clever to have come up with this brilliant little scheme. Dude's prolly about 12...kinda hilarious and pathetic at the same time
Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

What happens if he gets hung with no buyer at $750K?

It's got to be more trouble than it's worth to untangle the mess from someone with a dummy ebay account running the price up with no intent to pay.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Any chance this is SteaknChop's new ebay account? This sounds like the kind of silly crap that kid would pull. Maybe buy a few pictures of some corned beef hash while you're getting ripped on the Mantle.

Last edited by novakjr; 03-31-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
David McDonald

There was a thread on Net54 a couple of years back concerning a husband and wife who pulled the same stunt on eBay (sold a xerox picture of a card) and were given jail time. I think it was in Pennsylvania and I think it was six months but can't remember. This dirtbag would probably look good in an orange jumpsuit.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Steve Birmingham

That one ended as no longer available, and there's a PSA8 up. He says his account had been hacked and the pic and tiny print added.

It's possible I guess. My account was compromised last week, and Ebay shut it down before I could find out.

The feedback looks pretty poor, but his one negative is also from a new user. He described the videogame as "new" but stated in his description that he played it once. Doesn't sound new to me, but it was in the description....

Ebay just seems to get weirder all the time.

Steve B
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That one ended as no longer available, and there's a PSA8 up. He says his account had been hacked and the pic and tiny print added.

It's possible I guess. My account was compromised last week, and Ebay shut it down before I could find out.

The feedback looks pretty poor, but his one negative is also from a new user. He described the videogame as "new" but stated in his description that he played it once. Doesn't sound new to me, but it was in the description....

Steve B
Odd that someone would hack an account with a 10 feedback and 67 percent feedback--judging by his feedback he had a problem with nearly every person. They all left positive but stated very slow ship
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Steve B
I was high bidder when he ended the auction. He emailed me and told me his account was hijacked as well. I did not repsond.

No chance his account was hijacked. Makes no sense. Somebody hijacked his account to list a '52 Topps Mantle PSA 9, but today he happens to list the same card in a PSa 8??? Yes, that happens to me all the time. He is a BS scammer.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Greg

I cannot believe that ebay allows this to go on. For the PSA 9 he had up, the specifics of the item stated an original 1952 card in PSA 9 ( not a reprint, not a photo etc ) and the title says nothing about it being a photo. Then the seller adds text in dull yellow about the photo way below. I would think he would get serious jail time for a scam like this.

To the extent his account was hacked, how did the card change from a PSA 9to a PSA 8 ? with different serial numbers. The second auction is still up.
Buyer beware.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Jim D

after watching the Judge Judy video, i was so irate with the smugness of the seller of the picture.. It is hard to believe there are people like this out there!

Sometimes you wish you could reach through the tv and smack someone!

wow....no wonder i try to stay away from feebay/ fleabay!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Chris

This guy is about to get $20,000+ in his paypal account. I hope paypal makes him mail the card out first before it clears or else I think this dude is going to mexico.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdutchess View Post
This guy is about to get $20,000+ in his paypal account. I hope paypal makes him mail the card out first before it clears or else I think this dude is going to mexico.
Ummmm, no he's not. I am the high bidder with a proxy of nearly a million dollars to make sure I win. The only thing this idiot will get is a negative.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Greg

Where do you think he got the scan? from someone's registry or from the internet? I found the actual photo he is using on google in about 30 seconds on my 2nd search for "PSA 8 mantle"

see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsc...ly/3317791747/

He clearly ripped off the photo from that story. Make sure you don't pay him !
The photo belongs to From SportsCollectorsDaily.com - same serial number

So, he can also be sued for copyright infringement in addition to you sticking it to him !

Greg
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The Mantle that this scammer has listed is the same one that sold in the Heritage October 2009 auction: http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...No=81030#Photo

I am still high bidder on this card at $600K+

The seller emailed me this morning and said, "With only 15 hours left, I hope you are legit and really have this 600,000 plus. I will not ship until that money has cleared into my bank account just to make sure that it all goes smoothly."

My reply was, "I hope you are legit as well. I have twice asked you for scans of the back, but my requests have been ignored. If you're selling a $600K card, you would think you could post a scan of the back. We'll find out who is and isn't legit very soon."

He replied asking me for my email address and said that he would send me a scan of the back. He did so and this is what I received:

As I first stated, this Mantle was sold by Heritage about 18 months ago. However, here is the problem. These are the scans from Heritage:

The back scan of the Heritage auction looks nothing like the scan of the back that the seller provided.

I can't wait to win this card and blast this douche with a negative.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Dave

I dont see the auction anymore//edit, found it, silly I thought he would have put PSA 8 in the title

Last edited by dherm360; 04-07-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Good idea to try to give him a negative, but if he files a non paying bidder complaint - And he will so he won't have to pay the fees - The negative gets removed.

Steve B
Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Even if the neg doesn't last, it's was nice to see it. I got a good laugh out of your use of TOOL...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

haha you guys are funny

I used to do the same thing a few years back....
Id say (after auction ends) that I would like to fly out and pick up the card in person, meet him at his bank or the police station, or where ever he wanted where I would pay for the card with a Cashiers Check... Love to watch them squirm and make up all kinds of excuses where they have to do the transaction only through the mail, etc.

Sometimes Id even look up thier location and find some small town next to theirs, and say Im going to visit my parents in a few day in so and so town and would like to do the transaction in person , etc. fun stuff.

Ive been suspended a couple times too by eBay for auction interference, so have cut back a bit on messing w/scammers.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
David Str@@te

Well, I'm sure he can start rehabilitating his feedback rating on that authentic Nolan Ryan Autograph he's selling right now.

Can I get an update? Did he actually try to send you a card, or did he just fold after you blew his cover.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
Can I get an update? Did he actually try to send you a card, or did he just fold after you blew his cover.
I posted negative feedback soon after the item ended. I also sent him an email letting him know I knew the auction was a scam and that the image was stolen. He replied back that he had another buyer anyway. Yeah, right. A lot of people have read his feedback though because I have had numerous emails from other eBayers wanting more details.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
J@RR0D

You're awesome, David.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
You're awesome, David.
Second that!

Larry
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Greg

Glad you gave him the negative, the ebay system is much better now that the seller cannot retaliate against the buyer in these instances. In the past, they would slam you with a negative too ( for you giving them the negative ), which was absurd and forced buyers to be diplomatic and not completely honest.
In cases of high dollar items, ebay should really be reporting these people to the FBI since it is mail fraud. There seems to be no punishment and they go create new accounts.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Chris Wassmuth

You should have gotten his address and mailed him a copy of a Cashier's Check in the amount of the winning bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckydent View Post
Glad you gave him the negative, the ebay system is much better now that the seller cannot retaliate against the buyer in these instances. In the past, they would slam you with a negative too ( for you giving them the negative ), which was absurd and forced buyers to be diplomatic and not completely honest.
In cases of high dollar items, ebay should really be reporting these people to the FBI since it is mail fraud. There seems to be no punishment and they go create new accounts.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM

I think its great that you left a negative on this scam artist. The only thing that I would be scared if he retaliates and bids on your auctions.
I'm sure you blocked him but lots of people have multiple ebay accounts. If he bids on your item and pays he can leave negative without it being removed. Just seems it can get real nasty. This is something that Ebay should of removed with all of the emails they recieved in regards to his auction being a scam.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM

People are so stupid on Ebay. That site is filled with so many speculators that most seem clueless. I've seen time and time again people recklessly bid on an item and then complain they were taking. Many times, you can read into the posting and tell it's a scam.