NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Dave Fa*st

Default Ebay sellers - high shipping cost even after eBay took part of pie?

I browsed through an auction listing tonight that had a buy it now on eBay and thought about pulling the trigger. It's a $70 buy it now - and while I usually don't even pay much attention I luckily caught the shipping price. $45.50 for priority shipping in the U.S. Am I missing something? Can a seller actually profit off the shipping like that? (I thought ebay basically was taking such a percentage of shipping that you have a problem making anything off of it to begin with). There may be a good reason for this i'm missing - but would sure advice folks to make sure to look at shipping costs before pulling the trigger...I'll definitely start being more aware.

***Didn't want to provide a link as the seller has a few live auctions up. But looking through most all the auctions are $40-50 shipping.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default shipping

Wow, for $45.50 you could ship a live donkey to Afghanistan!

I wonder if it is a typo. Probably meant $5.50. The $ sign is on the 4 key so he probably made a mistake. Once you set it in your auctions it stays that way for future auctions unless you manually change it.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM
KWT

Without knowing what item your talking about I would say he really wants more money for his item. At a quick glance you might think your getting a good deal and that's generally what a seller wants. Instead of asking an obviously higher buy it now price he charges higher shipping prices.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I'm assuming this was for a card or something light that the usual shipping cost wouldn't approach that?

If so, I can think of a couple of reasons, but not any good ones.

1) They're hoping that someone would be just a little quicker on the trigger than you were and go ahead and click BIN before looking at the shipping price. They also aren't concerned about repeat customers, and are looking to get their maximum return on the single transaction they will have with you before you discover the inflated shipping price.

2) They take consignments and pay their consignors based on the selling price alone. In this case, the item price itself might actually be a really good deal, and with the shipping factored in may still be a decent price, so you go ahead and buy. Since the consignor's payout is based on the selling price alone, they get less, but the seller makes his money on the shipping. In this case, they aren't concerned about repeat consignors.

So there's a couple of possible scenarios, but to answer your original question, I've never heard a GOOD reason for grossly overinflated shipping costs.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
I browsed through an auction listing tonight that had a buy it now on eBay and thought about pulling the trigger. It's a $70 buy it now - and while I usually don't even pay much attention I luckily caught the shipping price. $45.50 for priority shipping in the U.S. Am I missing something? Can a seller actually profit off the shipping like that? (I thought ebay basically was taking such a percentage of shipping that you have a problem making anything off of it to begin with). There may be a good reason for this i'm missing - but would sure advice folks to make sure to look at shipping costs before pulling the trigger...I'll definitely start being more aware.

***Didn't want to provide a link as the seller has a few live auctions up. But looking through most all the auctions are $40-50 shipping.
Depends on the item, for example it cost me $39 to ship a motorcycle
helmet priority mail and only $16 for similar item parcel post.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Wow, for $45.50 you could ship a live donkey to Afghanistan!

I wonder if it is a typo. Probably meant $5.50. The $ sign is on the 4 key so he probably made a mistake. Once you set it in your auctions it stays that way for future auctions unless you manually change it.

Rick
That's a great deal I can ship my jackass sister-in-law there. I would pay triple for a one way trip to the tribal region.
Mike
Old 11-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Dave Fa*st

These were specifically for cards - I was looking at a Joss T206, he has others. He has buy it nows as well as bids which it doesn't seem like most have hit his reserve yet. But surprisingly they are getting some pretty decent bidding action early on, just wondering how many of those bidders noticed the shipping cost.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Before you crucify the seller why not send him a message and ask?

Jason
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Dave Fa*st

What do you want to ask? He specified his shipping, it's not a mistake...all of his items are $40+ and they aren't all the same amount...so it wasn't a typo. I chose not to bid. I wasn't sure if there was some benefit to him doing this where he would make a few more dollars that ebay wouldn't collect, but figured I'd point it out to others to pay attention to shipping costs.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Maybe e-bay is not following their policies anymore. A few years ago, there was a clause in their rules not to overcharge on shipping & insurance costs. If caught, e-bay has the right to remove the sellers items & the buyer would be credited back his listing fees. However, in the past I know may buyers e-mailed & called e-bay on these complaints & e-bay did nothing about it.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsports View Post
Maybe e-bay is not following their policies anymore. A few years ago, there was a clause in their rules not to overcharge on shipping & insurance costs. If caught, e-bay has the right to remove the sellers items & the buyer would be credited back his listing fees. However, in the past I know may buyers e-mailed & called e-bay on these complaints & e-bay did nothing about it.
What little enforcement they did on that pretty much went out the window when they started charging the same fees on shipping as they do on the item price itself. Before they changed, sellers would use high shipping / low item prices to try and skirt paying fees, so eBay had some incentive to put a stop to such things. Now that they just charge a fee on everything, the monetary incentive to enforce isn't there.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
What do you want to ask? He specified his shipping, it's not a mistake...all of his items are $40+ and they aren't all the same amount...so it wasn't a typo.
Again, as someone else said, I would ask. It very well could be a typo, and even more so possible if he is selling similar items. His original "template" could have been a typo and just got carried over to subsequent listings. It's happened to me (but not with stratospheric shipping though). Personally, I don't think it's a typo but trying to give benefit of the doubt.

My bigger concern/question is, for a card, how did he get a way with this through ebay's policies? That would be my bigger question/concern.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
What little enforcement they did on that pretty much went out the window when they started charging the same fees on shipping as they do on the item price itself. Before they changed, sellers would use high shipping / low item prices to try and skirt paying fees, so eBay had some incentive to put a stop to such things. Now that they just charge a fee on everything, the monetary incentive to enforce isn't there.
Lance,

There still is some form of automated enforcement in place. I know that not too long ago I was automagically denied a listing because of the shipping cost I had put it place. It was an over sized paper item that I was NOT about to fold and put the details regarding the shipping cost and why I was doing this in the details (mailing flat in a large, reinforced, cardboard flat). I couldn't get around ebay's automatic rejection from this so I just upped the initial bid with free shipping.

But I totally understand and agree with what you are saying regarding ebay's reason and relaxation of any enforcement on this. Yet if you go through their shipping process for paying for shipping they still take out their % on this even though they control it???
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 PM

IMHO, eBay is a joke.

First, when a seller was charging too much for postage, eBay said for buyers to just leave a Negative in the seller's Feed back.

Next, eBay changed the rules and added the five star system specifically for problems with postage. SO if a buyer had a problem with the postage they could leave positive Feed Back but ding the seller on the five star system.

Next, eBay said screw it and just started charging fees on the postage.

To me, there had to be some law/s that eBay is breaking by doing this. Also, eBay gets an automatic fee increase every year when the USPS raises their rates. This is wrong and there has to be something that can be done about it.

David
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

It is pretty simple. If you do not like the sellers terms......then just move on. I am not defending someone with outrageous shipping, but just saying. Why frustrate yourself over it. It is not like he is doing anything illegal. Just my 2 cents.

Jason
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post

It's funny, Ebay's fees on Shipping are actually a higher % for many sellers then it is for the actual item they are selling, add to that Paypal also gets a piece of shipping which most people take for granted. Makes it hard to break even on S&H costs without feeling like you're gouging people.

Ebay claimed they did this to keep shipping prices down. All it did was make people up their BIN prices on Free Shipping items, and charge more for S&H in auctions so they could recoup the difference.

There really is no reason to charge $40 shipping on a card unless it's super expensive and it's going towards insurance. As a seller you may end up paying more in fees then you would with a higher price and lower shipping cost.

Either it's a typo, or they're trying to get unsuspecting people to pull the trigger on a lower priced item. Not many people left who aren't savvy enough to at least check the shipping cost before they pull the trigger on an item nowadays.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:14 AM

Have no idea about the specific item but will tell you that Ebay has recently made some very confusing changes regarding listing of items and the associated shipping policies (they converted all existing listings into very confusing templates). Unfortunately they strive to fix things that are not broken and subsequently causing issues with listings. I can only imagine that attempting to create a new template (which I have not done yet) is probably equally as confusing/frustrating.

Last edited by cb7171; 11-08-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD08 View Post
It is pretty simple. If you do not like the sellers terms......then just move on. I am not defending someone with outrageous shipping, but just saying. Why frustrate yourself over it. It is not like he is doing anything illegal. Just my 2 cents.

Jason
+1
Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

In the link below is an article about eBay sellers being suspended for having low DSR scores. Charge excessive S&H and for sure you will get dinged on your DSR's and it could lead to being kicked off eBay.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y13/m11/i06/s01

Jeff
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

When I was selling regularly I had a few bike parts that sold well and I had a lot of them. Not expensive, something like $15 plus $2 shipping. I've always done a set price in the US and international at cost.

That made it odd, because I was sending them to Canada and I think a couple other countries for less than $2.

When Ebay changed to pushing free shipping with DSRs, I did a small experiment. I listed some at $20 with free shipping anywhere. That Just barely covered a couple countries, but none I'd ever actually sold to. It also gave me a bit more profit. I figured sales would be less. Wrong I sold about 3x as many, even with the old $15 listing still up.

So I switched everything to free shipping and added a little to the price.
That actually worked too.

Steve B