NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-11-2017, 03:21 AM

Default Where are the 1000s of Vintage Card Reprints on ebay coming from??

Hi Everyone,

I've been out of the hobby for 20+years and have a partial set of 53 Topps and 54 Bowman in VG or worse that I would like to get closer to finishing. Strictly raw cards that I keep in a binder and look through it from time to time. I haven't been on ebay in quite a while and what I saw was shocking. Many, many sellers have 100s of cards in their inventory and they are all what look like high quality reprints. All years even into the 1990s. All the big name players but also many semi-stars and high #s. A 1963 Topps #496 Steve Dalkowski reprint?? That was listed by seller jackscollectibles2 in New Jersey. He has 428 listings and everyone is a vintage card reprint. They sell for $2-3 each and he and many other sellers have sold 1000s upon 1000s. Now they are all out there in the public with more being sold everyday. Some sellers plead ignorance and state they found them in an attic and don't know what they are, while others simple describe them as great looking reprints. Some look NM while some are beat up and aged. The feedback I see from customers is mostly very positive. I remember years ago when someone was caught printing Rose rookies, the card community was very upset, people went to jail and cards were stamped forgery. Now there are quality Rose rookies on ebay 24/7.
My questions; whos printing all these reprints-commercial printing facilities in the US? or overseas? How are these small time ebay sellers getting their hands on bulk vintage card reprints? why is nothing being done to stop it? and finally how does this affect the vintage raw card market in the future?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Dave
Old 05-11-2017, 06:11 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default reprint

Yea, its getting worse and worse...and most ebay sellers don't use the word - reprint in the heading..they make you drill down to finally a comment about " I was told the might not be real......
Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I think most of them come from estate sales...... or grandpa.......but more likely they come from laser printers.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

The quality of home printers are making presentable copies easily made at home. The purchase of a good printer, the right paper stock and good guillotine cutter makes this an easy start.

As for the raw market, its already drastically affected due to the mistrust people have for the forgers and doctors. The sale prices of raw vs. a similar graded version will often sell for far less. This is not always the case as battlefield has shown by busting mid-grade and doctoring scans to get the gamblers to feel they will get a high grade, but that is an exercise in dishonesty.

I am not a fan of graded as I am a little old-school as I started in the early eighties as a collector and still love the smell of the cardboard. However, I always tell new collectors to stick to graded as it is a good (albeit imperfect) helping hand to avoid getting ripped off.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Patrick N.

Default Concerning

Yes, it is getting very bad, all of my searches are littered with this crap.

I'm afraid in the long run it will really hurt the market and I think investing in cardboard might be a bad idea as the technology improves and can recreate the original or damn near close. Even if it can't reproduce exact matches the perception that these printers can, will drag prices too new historic lows. JMO
Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 PM

Either it's the same few sellers selling under hundreds of names, or they copy each other, because if I had a nickel for every time I saw a seller use the not-as-clever-as-they-think-they-are phrase "Per eBay rules I'm listing this as a reprint," I'd be a very rich man.

All these claims of ignorance and just trying to follow the rules are insulting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

After seeing so many of the homemade reprints on eBay over the years, I decided to buy a few of them for a few bucks each to see them in person. I wanted to educate myself on what the actual fakes looked like and felt like in person. Some of these fakes look pretty good in a scan on eBay, but in person are easily identified as fake. I've put some real cards next to some fakes here. Which ones are real and which ones are fake? Can you tell from the scans?

AndyH

Attached Images
File Type: jpg real or fake.jpg (72.5 KB, 209 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

The most obvious to me is the '63 Mantle.

...hope I'm right. The corner wear looks too uniform as does the paper lose on the bottom two corners,

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Any more guesses on these guys? If you post your thoughts I'll send you a PM letting you know if you're right or not. Then I'll post after a few days which are real and which are fake.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Ben North

Like you say they are easy to spot in hand and hard from a picture.

My guess is the 56 Clemente, Aaron, and Koufax are bad.

Last edited by bnorth; 05-21-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

I honestly don't know, but I am going to guess the Mantle's?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Looks to me like both Mantle's the 67 Aaron and the 56 Clemente...
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

My guess would be the Aaron, the 63 Mantle and the 56 Clemente. Usually the reprints that I have seen have outstanding centering.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
My guess would be the Aaron, the 63 Mantle and the 56 Clemente. Usually the reprints that I have seen have outstanding centering.
You nailed them. I was hoping to just show how people can create fakes at home that are pretty hard to tell from a scan if they are real or fake.

When you have them in hand you can see the damaged corners are actually printed that way and cut by hand to round them. But the cutting still leaves raw card around the printed damage. Easily seen as fake in person. The cardboard is way to smooth too. Overall, I think they are neat for comparison value to real cards and for educating people who are just getting back into the hobby.

Thanks for your responses and for guessing guys.

AndyH

Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 AM

My guess: 63, 67 and 56.