NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Chris Wood

Default Toronto Baseball Fans - Need Help Indentifying a Possible Jays Minors Affiliate Logo

Picked up a small 1960's-1970's game worn baseball cap collection and this one has me stumped. I collect Jays and Toronto baseball items so I feel that I should recognize the logo.......

Thanks for your kind assistance!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Were there any clues with the rest of the collection?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Were there any clues with the rest of the collection?
Hi Leon. The rest of the caps were from the '60's and '70's, but all from other teams (no other Jays items). I checked all the 1977-1989 Jays affiliate logo sites and don't see anything like this. Perhaps it was a possible logo prototype?

Last edited by baseball tourist; 03-17-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If it's a prototype, they should've run with it IMHO.

Looks a lot more attractive than the caps they've had for all these years. Great looking logo!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Marty H.

Email New Era.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
If it's a prototype, they should've run with it IMHO.

Looks a lot more attractive than the caps they've had for all these years. Great looking logo!
The "T" reminds me of the Toronto Maple Leaf AAA (now Intercounty) ball club of years ago, but with a bird instead of a leaf. I like this logo but the bird looks too googly eyed and primitive for me to prefer it to the classic Jays logo that I am used to after all these years. I hated the black and silver cursive "T" logo and colour scheme the Jays employed prior to 2012.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM
P.hil €lli$

My guess is that it is totally fictional. My theory is that it was probably used during a "throwback" weekend when the Blue Jays were playing a team that was wearing a really old uniform. For example, maybe they were playing the Red Sox that were wearing a 1918 uniform and New Era made this up to look like a 1918 Blue Jays cap would look like.

I think I remember seeing some teams use fictional uniforms if they were a relatively new team to the league.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:37 PM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Picked up a small 1960's-1970's game worn baseball cap collection and this one has me stumped. I collect Jays and Toronto baseball items so I feel that I should recognize the logo.......

Thanks for your kind assistance!
You might want to ask on Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.com forum...they're an encyclopedia of knowledge for obscure logo related stuff.

Last edited by JMEnglish27; 03-16-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFromCANADA View Post
Email New Era.
Thanks Marty. Any direct links to a contact at NE?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post
You might want to ask on Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.com forum...they're an encyclopedia of knowledge for obscure logo related stuff.
Thanks John....I did reach out last night on their Facebook site.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:09 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
My guess is that it is totally fictional. My theory is that it was probably used during a "throwback" weekend when the Blue Jays were playing a team that was wearing a really old uniform. For example, maybe they were playing the Red Sox that were wearing a 1918 uniform and New Era made this up to look like a 1918 Blue Jays cap would look like.

I think I remember seeing some teams use fictional uniforms if they were a relatively new team to the league.
Thanks Phil. Your theory is quite possible, but I think that the cap manufacturing (tagging) era may predate the throwback game era in MLB, no? Did they have these sorts of games in the 1970's?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:17 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post

Good possibility, given that it has a sewn-on felt patch. I believe every other team in this recent era has their insignias embroidered directly into the cap. So the cap in question is indeed more in line with a throwback or a fictitious/contrived piece. Good theory!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Skip

Default New Era

One of the clues is the square visor stitching, which says this is a New Era 900 or 911 model, a step down from the on-field model 5950 (Don't be confused by "Pro Model" in the label). 5950s have a "round" visor; the visor stitching is round as well.

Years ago "5950" designated New Era's best cap and was made from 100% wool. If teams wanted knit fabric on the same style cap, New Era designated that as style "5300".

Today, 5950 is a crown style (Brooklyn mushroom crown, round pro visor), but several materials may be used: knit or polyester, for example. Recently "Diamond Era" fabric that has a pattern to it has been introduced.

Over the years the same cap styles were/are available to youth, amateur, high school, college and pro teams. The cap pictured could be any of these unless the logo can be identified. However, plain 900s and 911s were available to sporting goods team dealers for many years until about 10 years ago.

When New Era decorates caps, the front panels are sewn together then embroidered "flat"; then the cap is built. That's why the enpmbroidery does not come through the crown reinforcement on the inside.

In this instance, if stitching shows through the crown it is unlikely that New Era decorated it and an appliqué or embroidered design was sewn on it by a local sporting goods dealer.

That being said, major and minor league teams also had access to purchasing 900 (regular crown)/911 (low crown) styles since they were less expensive styles than the best styles. For spring training, for example, some clubs would buy a mesh-back cap in style 900 (actually called 991-OB "open back" with plastic snaps or 891-OB if the front panels were knit).

More recently the 5950 has been designated as the official "On-Field" cap and other models are not used on the field of play.

Any additional images might be helpful in narrowing this cap down to a specific year. I do not recall the stamping inside the sweatband being use, although it certainly could have been a requirement for exporting to another country, i. e. Canada.

Sorry for the long dissertation.

Skip

Last edited by Nashvol; 03-19-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 03-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
One of the clues is the square visor stitching, which says this is a New Era 900 or 911 model, a step down from the on-field model 5950 (Don't be confused by "Pro Model" in the label). 5950s have a "round" visor; the visor stitching is round as well.

Years ago "5950" designated New Era's best cap and was made from 100% wool. If teams wanted knit fabric on the same style cap, New Era designated that as style "5300".

Today, 5950 is a crown style (Brooklyn mushroom crown, round pro visor), but several materials may be used: knit or polyester, for example. Recently "Diamond Era" fabric that has a pattern to it has been introduced

When New Era decorates caps, the front panels are sewn together then embroidered "flat"; then the cap is built. That's why the enpmbroidery does not come through the crown reinforcement on the inside.

In this instance, if stitching shows through the crown it is unlikely that New Era decorated it and an appliqué or embroidered design was sewn on it by a local sporting goods dealer.

Any additional images might be helpful in narrowing this cap down to a specific year. I do not recall the stamping inside the sweatband being use, although it certainly could have been a requirement for exporting to another country, i. e. Canada

Skip
Wow! Amazing information Skip. Thank you!

I took another pic, this time of the inside of the cap. The logo stitching does show through to the underside. There are no other stampings etc (other than the "MFG USA" stamp). Of the collection, this is indeed the only cap with square visor stitching. The items came from a long time Blue Jays executive and as such, I really feel that there must be a Jays connection to this cap. I don't think I will have access to the original owner unfort as he is firmly in retirement and has ignored my friend's (the owner of the caps before me) request for more info.

On the plus side, it is a great cap and it fits my melon! At 7 5/8 it is the only cap from the group that comes close.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 04-11-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Skip

Chris,

The image shows stitching in the reinforcement, which means the logo is a patch sewn on a blank cap. I cannot place the logo as having a connection to the Blue Jays, but it certainly could be. I'll check around and see what else I can find out for you.

Skip
Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Chris Wood

Friendly bump. Any Jays fans they could shed some light?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:22 PM

It's not from a Toronto minor-league affiliate. Toronto's only association with a minor pro organization having
the initial "T" was their 2000-2002 working agreement with the Tennessee Smokies of the AA Southern League.
There are or have been several colleges and high schools with the initial "T" whose teams are Blue Jays, although
none we see currently has a blue jay logo matching that on your cap. You might want to look into Tabor College
[ http://www.taborbluejays.com/sport/0/1.php ], Triad High School [ http://triadhomeschoolbaseball.org/ ],
and others, and ask them if in previous years they used the logo you have.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 07-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
It's not from a Toronto minor-league affiliate. Toronto's only association with a minor pro organization having
the initial "T" was their 2000-2002 working agreement with the Tennessee Smokies of the AA Southern League.
There are or have been several colleges and high schools with the initial "T" whose teams are Blue Jays, although
none we see currently has a blue jay logo matching that on your cap. You might want to look into Tabor College
[ http://www.taborbluejays.com/sport/0/1.php ], Triad High School [ http://triadhomeschoolbaseball.org/ ],
and others, and ask them if in previous years they used the logo you have.
Thanks Butch! I just can't get past that this came from a retired Jays executive who resides in Toronto. I believe it to be a team prototype or fantasy piece.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 AM
Chris Wood

Default Jays fans.....

Redirecting an older mystery.