NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-08-2015, 07:15 AM
€d M!££w00D

Default Ultra Pro vs. BCW: which is better?

For you "binder guys", which sheet is better, Ultra Pro or BCW? I have only bought BCW and have been fairly pleased, but I have noticed that the cards (especially in the middle row) sometimes don't fit as well. As a result, the top of the card is sometimes exposed. Does this also happen with Ultra Pro? I have tried to put the cards in penny sleeves for extra protection, but the fit is a little snug and the sleeve "wrinkles".

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed

Last edited by Vintagevault13; 08-08-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Al Richter

Default Sheets

I use Ultra Pro, but can not offer any comparison
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

I'm an Ultra Pro guy.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:58 AM

Ultra Pro here as well. The ones I was using for my sets in binders is the Platinum kind, I was quite happy with them. If I had a high value, high grade card, I don't really trust them in pages.

But for "mid" grade, I don't have any issues with the "Platinum" brand

As for BCW, can't really comment, as I haven't tried them.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Eric Perry

Hi, Ed.

Ultra-Pro Platinum for me, too. I have found that BCW products leave much to be desired whereas it concerns size. Along with the pages (as you mentioned) their soft sleeves fit so tightly, I fear that a corner will get chipped every time I place a card in one of them.

Attached are a few images: the box; the product number; and a Topps Heritage set bindered with Ultra-Pro pages.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (72.3 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (66.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (77.6 KB, 227 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-08-2015, 04:39 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Hi, Ed.

Ultra-Pro Platinum for me, too. I have found that BCW products leave much to be desired whereas it concerns size. Along with the pages (as you mentioned) their soft sleeves fit so tightly, I fear that a corner will get chipped every time I place a card in one of them.

Attached are a few images: the box; the product number; and a Topps Heritage set bindered with Ultra-Pro pages.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the info and pics. Your Heritage set looks great in the binder BTW. I have just completed the 1965 Topps set and wanted to put the cards in penny sleeves before inserting into the pages. They don't fit well in the BCW pages. I definitely think I will give the Ultra Pro Platinum a try.

Ed
Old 08-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Dave

Angry

Ultra Pro for me. I used the BCW pages in the early 90's. I'll never be able to get the cards out of those pages now.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default pages

I recall back in the day..some plastic sheets had PVC..or no PVC ?...and they said it would ooze into the cards...recall seeing pics of an old set of card..in the pages...looking like someone had it on top of the back seat of the car in the summer heat !
Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM
€d M!££w00D

Thanks for the replies. I will be giving the Ultra Pro sheets a try. I must say, however, that I think the BCW binders are better quality than the Ultra Pro. They seem to be more sturdy and durable.

Ed
Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Ultra Pro for me. I used the BCW pages in the early 90's. I'll never be able to get the cards out of those pages now.
Have you tried putting them in the freezer for a while? Once they shrink and the seal between the card and sheet is disrupted they should be ok to remove.

Obviously try it with a sheet of inexpensive cards first.

I've also used a thin object like stamp tongs to get some gap between the card and sheet. But you have to be really careful.

Steve B
Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 AM
Jay Shelton

I prefer Ultra Pro Platinum pages in BCW binders. The BCW binders are awesome and have lasted 30+ years with no problems. The Ultra Pro binders after a while seem to either split at the seams or the metal posts don't line up exactly.