NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-11-2018, 12:51 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default Anyone store sets in penny sleeves?

I am in a constant dilemma about how to store my Topps sets (binders vs. toploaders). I currently have them in binders and like the ease of looking through them. The part I don’t like about binders in that they make it difficult to read the backs, which I enjoy. Toploaders work well for this, but a full set is heavy and and I find myself not looking at the cards as often. I received a shipment of 71 Topps today from COMC and spent some time looking at the individual cards in the penny sleeves that they were in when shipped. I realized that this may be a good alternative (relatively lightweight and easy to read each individual card). Three sets could fit into a 3,000 card box. I have never keep cards in penny sleeves long-term. Does anyone do this? Would love to hear thoughts on protection, concerns, etc. BTW, my sets are VG - EX, so not particularly high-grade but not beaters either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Ed, I suspect many collectors use penny sleeves for storage. I recently purchased a 1954 Topps partial. The prior owner had most of the partial in sleeves in the box in which they were stored. I personally like a little more protection than that. I suppose if the cards were 70s cards in the vgex range, I probably could live with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default penny sleeves

For 1970's sets, I like to use penny sleeves. I put the stars, minor stars, hi #'s, etc., in a penny sleeve and then in a top load and the commons just have the sleeve. I can get a full set of 750 or cards in a two row shoebox.

In the future, I am thinking about switching to card savers in a two row shoebox. For larger cards, I may put them in Card Saver I's and put them into a graded card two row shoebox.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 08-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:05 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

^^^^This...I meant to add in my earlier post that I use Cardsaver Is in the white two row storage boxes. They are a happy medium for me. I like the idea of binders, but I am ultimately more comfortable with Cardsaver Is in white storage boxes ( with some graded cards).

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 08-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Paul K

Default sleeves vs binders

In response to you question about binders versus penny sleeves; I have completed the 1956, 57, 58, and almost 1960 Topps and stored them all in penny sleeves & top loaders. I tried binders, but over the years they tend to curl at the bottom from the weight in the binder. Yes, the boxes are heavy, but I am more comfortable knowing they will not curl / bend. Hope this helps?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Too slippery
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Ed Jensen

I keep all my cards in Card Saver 1's and 2's and store them in old library card files (the ones that used to hold the index cards for every book in the library in the pre-digital age) that I have found at various antique sales over the years. They are the perfect size and make it easy to look at - just pull out a drawer and flip through! I find binders to be unwieldy and for a collection of my size they would take up too much space.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:54 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I use penny slaves for almost everything. I collect low grade, and so honestly do not care much about condition, but I have never had a card damaged in a penny sleeve. I don't think you really need a top loader to protect from handling wear, unless you're prone to dropping cards or have kids in the house

I much prefer the ability to read the backs easily. Also, finding a new card needed for a master set that I hadn't identified before and having to move 500 cards one slot over in a binder got really annoying.

Last edited by G1911; 08-13-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
For 1970's sets, I like to use penny sleeves. I put the stars, minor stars, hi #'s, etc., in a penny sleeve and then in a top load and the commons just have the sleeve. I can get a full set of 750 or cards in a two row shoebox.
Hey, that's exactly how I stored my '71s
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Ed I store most of my cards either raw or in Mylar Sleeves. More protection than a penny sleeve, these Mylar Sleeves do not take up as much room Card Saver I/II. I buy mine from this guy and if you fill out his contact form he will mail you a free sample.

https://tcverify.com
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I have one set in a Penny sleeves 1984 Topps football. I bought the card that looked pack fresh in the early 90s. I had it stored for years without anything. Then I wanted to keep them looking nice so I put ever signal one in a penny sleeve.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 09-29-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Todd Schultz

Reviving this thread to ask of anyone has experienced some of their cards in pocket sheets being damaged by the "curl" or other mis-shape of those sheets.

I just decided to remove my 1961s from their toploaders, place them in penny sleeves, then place the sleeves in 8 pocket sheets. I like the look so far, but I noticed that some of the sheets had slight corner curls coming right out of the box. I figure the sleeves will offer a bit more protection, but will they will prevent any curl? At present I plan on storing the binder and any others flat as opposed to standing. Does this help, hurt or make any difference?

Finally, please let me know if anyone makes mylar pocket sheets. I love the mylar sleeves (thanks for the source tip Larry), and would think a sheet would be firmer.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:10 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I understand the dilemma. A lot of collectors have struggled with this. Here's what I have come up with. While it is involved, it works quite well. I put my cards in Card Saver 1s, and I then place the Card Savers in these Perfect Fit sleeves specifically made for Card Saver 1s. perfectfitsleeves.com

Then I use 4 pocket Ultra-Pro pages and slide it into the pocket and fold the adhesive piece of the Perfect Fit sleeve down over the front of the pocket. This holds the Card Saver and the card perfectly in place... no slipping around. Get yourself a nice D ring binder, and you are in business! I know it sounds involved, but it really isn't bad at all.

I use this system with vintage football and will be switching over my early 50s baseball sets to this method. I understand that it would take multiple binders with larger 60s and 70s baseball sets. But if your set is manageable in size, this is a good way to go. You get accessibility with a binder and an extra layer of protection. I attached a few pics. Sorry they are a bit blurry. Ignore any white labels you might see on the backs of some of the Card Savers, they are just price tags from a dealer that I need to remove.

I realize all of this contradicts what I said in this thread a while back, but I just had another collector turn me on to the Perfect Fit sleeves this week. They changed everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Reviving this thread to ask of anyone has experienced some of their cards in pocket sheets being damaged by the "curl" or other mis-shape of those sheets.

I just decided to remove my 1961s from their toploaders, place them in penny sleeves, then place the sleeves in 8 pocket sheets. I like the look so far, but I noticed that some of the sheets had slight corner curls coming right out of the box. I figure the sleeves will offer a bit more protection, but will they will prevent any curl? At present I plan on storing the binder and any others flat as opposed to standing. Does this help, hurt or make any difference?

Finally, please let me know if anyone makes mylar pocket sheets. I love the mylar sleeves (thanks for the source tip Larry), and would think a sheet would be firmer.
20180928_195609.jpg20180928_195547.jpg20180928_195523.jpg

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 09-29-2018 at 09:20 PM.