NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Todd Tobias

Default Please help the Chiefs' Johnny Robinson

Hey All,

As many of you know, I am an AFL historian. I am now working on a campaign to get former Chiefs safety, Johnny Robinson, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Johnny is very deserving of the honor, and it is long overdue.

I have placed a petition on my website, and am gathering online signatures from fans who support Johnny Robinson. Rob Borges and Rick Gosselin, two members of the HoF Senior Committee have agreed to take the results of the petition into their next voting session in August. They have challenged me with obtaining as many signatures as possible between now and then.

In addition to being a worthy player, Johnny Robinson has also been a huge friend to our hobby, signing TTM for YEARS. Please take a moment to do something nice for him in return. Click on the link below and sign the petition supporting Johnny Robinson for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If you are willing, please share the link with others as well. Let's help Johnny get the honor he deserves!

JOHNNY ROBINSON PETITION
Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Default done

did it.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Rob

One more here.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM
John

Todd, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the 60s, but I thought you may find it interesting that Robinson appears on this list - might be another avenue for you to pursue: http://www.profootballresearchers.co...php?f=8&t=4747
Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Todd Tobias

Thank you, John!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:49 AM
Jeff P

A very worthy cause. As you know I signed it last week and hope he gets in.

I really feel like the old timers group is out of touch with the *real* old timers. Sorry but players that played in the 70s and 80s shouldn't be considered until the handful of deserving players from the 20s-70s get one more look. There are very deserving players that have been completely forgotten about at this point.

jeff
Old 03-01-2018, 01:09 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I really feel like the old timers group is out of touch with the *real* old timers. Sorry but players that played in the 70s and 80s shouldn't be considered until the handful of deserving players from the 20s-70s get one more look. There are very deserving players that have been completely forgotten about at this point.
jeff
+1

I don't even think there are enough players from the 20s to field a team of 11! And in reality since it's the pro football HOF, players who had their best seasons pre-NFL (Pete Calac) should be considered, but I don't think there is any hope of that.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Jeff P

Thought you might enjoy this photo of Pete Calac giving Jim Thorpe's Pro Football HOF speech since Thorpe was dead when the HOF opened in 1963. This photo was taking by Joe Zacko of the Pottsville Maroons who attended the ceremony and took lots of photos of those inducted. I picked up a whole bunch of them in an auction lots many years ago.

Unfortunately the closest Mr. Calac is likely to get to the HOF ...

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-01-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM
John

Thanks Jeff. Very cool. I read Thorpe's bio last summer, but it didn't dawn on me he wouldn't have been there for his HOF induction. For the 20s, I think Friedman and Pollard actually make 11 - two good choices by the senior committee, but like you said it would seem kind of obvious to focus most or at least some attention on the under represented time periods. The only argument I can see against it is it would be taking a spot from a player who is alive to enjoy it, but I remember reading there was a family member of Lavie Dilweg very interested in the HOF, sad to me that it couldn't happen in a case where it seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-01-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Jeff P

Sorry we hijacked your thread, Todd. Back to Mr. Robinson who is VERY worthy.

Vote, vote, vote for Johnny!

jeff
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Bob Andrews

Done and shared
Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default moved to front page for more exposure

This was put in the correct forum, the football one, and thanks to the original poster for that. However, it seems like such a worthy cause it was moved to the front page for more eyes to see it.I will be happy to sign it too. He seems deserving. Good luck in the quest.

Last edited by Leon; 03-02-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Jeff P

Thanks for doing this Leon! Yes, Johnny Robinson deserves to be in the Pro Football HOF. It is a worthy cause and hope people participate.

jeff
Old 03-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Dave_Berg

I'm in! Those late 60s, early 70s Chiefs were a big part of my childhood
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Todd Tobias

Thank you, Leon!

In addition to being a phenomenal player, Johnny has run Johnny Robinson's Boys Home for the past 40 years. It is a place where troubled boys can live for a while, and get the counseling/tutoring they need to help get them back on their feet.

Johnny is a champ both on and off the field!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Signed. good luck!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Done
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 AM

Life-long Chiefs fan. He was one of my favorites. Count me in. Way to go Todd.

Rob M.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Todd Tobias

Thanks, everyone! Keep the signatures coming! Let's get Johnny in the HoF while he can still enjoy it.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 AM

There are a ton of deserving afl/nfl players who are not in the hof and one said players is ken "the rattler" reilly who is top 5 in interceptions all time and should get in before johnny robinson
Old 03-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLfan View Post
Hey All,

As many of you know, I am an AFL historian. I am now working on a campaign to get former Chiefs safety, Johnny Robinson, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Johnny is very deserving of the honor, and it is long overdue.

I have placed a petition on my website, and am gathering online signatures from fans who support Johnny Robinson. Rob Borges and Rick Gosselin, two members of the HoF Senior Committee have agreed to take the results of the petition into their next voting session in August. They have challenged me with obtaining as many signatures as possible between now and then.

In addition to being a worthy player, Johnny Robinson has also been a huge friend to our hobby, signing TTM for YEARS. Please take a moment to do something nice for him in return. Click on the link below and sign the petition supporting Johnny Robinson for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If you are willing, please share the link with others as well. Let's help Johnny get the honor he deserves!

JOHNNY ROBINSON PETITION

Todd- anyway you could add Tommy Nobis to the petition?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Todd Tobias

Tommy is another very worthy candidate, and sadly, now that he has died, he will probably get in. However, as my efforts and interest are pretty much strictly AFL, I am going to leave that battle to someone else.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:52 PM
John

Todd, Congrats on the good news http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/joh...class-of-2019/

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 08-17-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:01 PM

What's a thread without pics! Fairmont Dairy 1966(single) and the group which has 1964, 1967, two different 1968's and 1969.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairmont 1966 Johnny Robinson.JPG (48.1 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg img155.jpg (77.5 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by sb1; 08-17-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Jeff P

A huge congratulations to Johnny Robinson and a big shout out to Net54 football's own Todd Tobias for helping to make this happen!

Who are you gonna steer into the Oval Office in 2020, Todd?

jeff
Old 08-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Todd Tobias

Hey All,

I just got around to seeing this thread again. Thank you for the kind words. I am really excited about this opportunity for Johnny. I don't want to get too anxious, but it looks like this could be his year!

@Scott - DROOL!!!! Wow, those are nice. I am building an autographed Johnny Robinson master collection and I have damn-near everything that I know of, but none of the Fairmont Dairy cards.

To continue your dairy theme, this is currently the cream of my JR collection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 7-11 Texans.jpg (76.6 KB, 177 views)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 AM
Dave Foster

DONE! For the past few years, it seems so many players have gotten in that their only ability was to sneeze, fart and chew gum at the same time. That said, JR is much more deserving. Great luck with this effort!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Dave_Berg

Congratulations Johnny Robinson!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Johnny R.

Well deserved Johnny!!