NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Jamie

Does anyone know if anything of his still exists? I have been to his grave with a small tombstone in on a Penobscot reservation in Maine, but that's all that I know of that remains from Sockalexis. Does anyone else know of any Sockalexis memorabilia?

He is my all-time favorite, and I studied him at the Worcester Historical Museum.

Cheers,

Jamie

Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim sexton

If you are looking for more information about him, there are several biographies available. Check Amazon.com

Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Jamie, as we grew up in the Old Town/Orono area of Maine my brother Rhys & I are both big fans of his. I still remember being in 6th grade and first learning about him while living in Old Town, Maine.

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there. The holy grail of Sockalexis items is his 1898 Cameo Pepsin pinback while he was with the Cleveland "Indians". Around 1912 a local postcard producer made postcards of Sockalexis (last name was Orr -- a pretty prominent last name in the Bangor area) that are seldom seen. They picture an aged Sockalexis in his Cleveland uniform.

Other than that there isn't much in the way of "mass-produced" items to collect. My brother Rhys was fortunate enough to aquire an extremely large (Imperial Cabinet sized) photo of the Holy Cross baseball team with him in it. It should also be noted also playing for that team were Doc Powers and Jack Pappalau--both would play in the major leagues. The Coach of the team was no other than Hall of Famer Jesse Burkett (a Worchester native--I'm sure you are already aware of that though.) This large photo was from the estate of one of the players on the team, and it is likely it was only produced for the actual memebers of the team

Anyways, hope this helps and feel free to email me privately if you need any further information.

-Rhett
rhettyeakley@netzero.com

Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

I just figured I would add that Rhys used the image from his Holy Cross photo to fabricate a fantasy card of Sockalexis that is featured on the back of his business card. They turned out amazing, I aged mine a little to make it "look right".

Business card:
[linked image]

-Rhett

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Rhett,

That's really interesting that you grew up in Old Town. That part of Maine is so beautiful. If you ever have a scan of that photo, I'd love to see it.

I had forgotten about Jesse Burkett, mainly because I did the research ten years ago, a couple years before the height of the name controversy. I had known about the editorial saying the team was named after Sock because I had been reading papers at the Holy Cross library. That article was unknown of at the time of the controversy, around 1999.

But I was in college at the time, away from Worcester. Finally I made a stop back there on my way back from Boston and found it again, and called the Indians. Fortunately, a journalist from the Plain-Dealer had found it a few weeks later.

At astounds me that after the discovery of the editorial, there are still some activists claiming the team wasn't named in honor of him. Weird. While I am not keen on teams being named after ethnic groups, that is a totally different argument than the argument that the team was not named in honor of Sockalexis. In all, I believe denying that the team was named after Sock is more defamatory towards Sock than helping a cause.

I do have the N28 of Charles Bennett, the "plucky yet reliable" catcher from the Worcester Brownstockings. And what do you know, that team is now the Oakland A's!!!

Jamie

Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Awesome, thanks Rhett! VERY cool pic.

Jamie

Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Jamie,
I believe that Sockalexis has a Notre Dame Connection. I remember reading in a book called Notre Dame Baseball Greats, that Sockalexis followed his good friend and mentor, Michael Powers from Holy Cross to Notre Dame to play baseball. Supposedly he had great spring workouts and was to be the star of their 1897 season. Unfortunatly, he never played a varsity game because he and another student were sent packing from the university for disorderly conduct and drunkeness.

OH, I just found my book and it has about 4 pages on Sockalexis. The book is by a gentleman by the name of Cappy Gagnon. The South Bend Tribune of March 18, 1897 has the article where Sockalexis is mentioned as being "released" for his conduct from Notre Dame. Wouldn't it be cool to find a copy of that paper!

It is a really great book, even if you aren't a Notre Dame Fan. It has much information about major leaguers who are connected to the university's baseball program such as the "Father of Notre Dame Baseball" Cap Anson.

It also states that Sockalexis wasn't the only tragic figure from the 1897 team. John Henry Shillington was the shortstop for the team until he was expelled for missing curfew. He joined the Navy instead and was on the USS MAINE when it exploded in Havana in 1898.

Good luck with your search. I forget which auction house I saw the Cameo Pepsin pin of Sockalexis, but it was a beauty!

Great to be talking and reading about baseball on the board!
Tim Kindler

Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Tim, I think you are thinking of Stephen Wong's Smithsonian Baseball book, not an auction catalog. He is pictured in that along with several of the Hall of Famers found in the Cameo Pepsin Pins.
-Rhett

Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Rhett,
You are probably correct. I just remember that I have seen it in a larger book with very colorful and clear photos. I checked out Stephan Wong's book once from the library, so that is probably where I have seen it. I wonder how many exist? Or is that the only one in existance? I can't remember if everything in his book belonged to a museum or private collections? I wonder if any board members own one?
TK

Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Tim,

Yeah, I am/was so passionate about Sock. I have heard of Cappy Gagnon, second-hand, through a fellow who wrote a book (fiction) that was modeled after the life of Sockalexis. I believe it was the first book ever written on Sock - now it seems like there are two more!

Well, it's shameful, but I forget his name. About eight years ago, we met up in Chelsea, MA, where he lives, and had lunch. Turned out we went to the same high school down in NJ! Maybe "Luke" something or other...

But yeah, Sock got thrown out of Holy Cross and then I believe followed Doc out to Notre Dame. Interestingly, the name "Sockalexis" is a actually corruption of the french name "Jacques-Alexis". I suppose Gagnon went to Notre Dame and that is how he studied him, but I wonder if Cappy is Quebecois as I have a personal friend named Gagnon with the same last same up in Sherbrooke.

Another guy from Worcester history would be John Lee Richmond, who pitched the first perfect game. What a story! Well, I doubt there is much left from him, though one never knows. If I ever found anything, I'd probably wind up donating it to the museum.

Cheers,

Jamie

Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

I've enjoyed reading this thread as well as the Close Candy building one because Massachusetts is the only place I've ever lived and it's cool that there is so much early baseball stuff in the area. Unfortunately I don't know much about anything in regards to the Massachusetts baseball heritage that doesn't involve the Red Sox. Does anyone know of any other early baseball sites in this area? I'm in Boston/Newton right now, rather than Worcester which is a bit of a trek. Does anyone know if the Goudey building/factory is still up? Also, if anyone has of any book recommendations about baseball in Massachusetts I would greatly appreciate them. I've never heard of the Worcester Brownstockings, and I believe there were some early teams in the factory towns like Lowell and Lawrence but I know absolutely nothing about them. (Shoot me an email unless you think everyone could benefit, don't want to clutter up the Socalexis thread).

Getting back on topic... I had never heard of this player so I did some reading. What an interesting and tragic story. He seems kind of like the Jackie Robinson of the tobacco era. Does anyone know if later players like Bender and Meyers faced less racism-charged anger? Also, as far as memorabilia goes, did colleges produce yearbooks back then? If so, there might be a team picture or drawing in it.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

My contribution...

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I have done extensive research on Sockalexis over the last 5 years and I dont think there is a more interesting story in All of Sports than his. From his early days on the reservation to his exploits in college etc. Ed Barrow who used to spend some time around a couple of guys name Ruth and Gehrig said Sockalexis was the most talented Baseball player he had ever seen in his lifetime.

Here is what I know about photos and autographs of Lou. A small church in Bangor has some signatures from when Louis used to help out as a witness to some things in the 1880's. They will never be released. The Archives at Holy Cross University has one autographed cabinet card which also will never be made available to the public but is pictured in some of the Sockalexis Biographies. There is one other example of my photo known to exist in the same Archives at Holy Cross. There are only 2-3 other original photographs of Sockalexis which are owned by the Hall of Fame. Some of the other photos which appear from time to time in books were lost to history and only copies survive in the Hall. EVERYTHING owned by the Sockalexis family inlcuding his uniform he wore in the Orr postcard and scrapbooks were destroyed in a house fire on Indian Island before World War 2.

Basically, there is nothing out there. I would imagine that a few other photos exist from his Holy Cross days but have never surfaced and someday an autograph will surface and I will probably need to pay 5 figures for it.

[linked image]

Rhys

Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

What a great post, just wanted to add a related piece to this thread. His cousin Andrew Sockalexis was a great marathon runner. Just missed a medal in the 1912 Olympics by finishing fourth and was the runner-up in the 1912 and 1913 Boston Marathon.

http://tinyurl.com/b5rge9

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

The sad thing about Andrew Sockalexis is that he avoided all of the mistakes that Louis did and was an amazingly disciplined athlete who was a married Family man and was a real credit to his tribe and all who knew him. He was in his prime and the favorite to win a medal in the next Olympics before he was stricken with illness and died way too young.

Rhys

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Dan McCarthy,

I have been researching "Base Ball" in Massachusetts for sometime now. I think you, as well as others will enjoy this web-site pertaining to South Coast baseball in Mass. Below is the link, just scroll down and read. Also, on the right side of the page you will see many more articles and links in reference to Mass. ball...

http://scvbb.wordpress.com/

Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

To illustrate that Louis Sockalexis was held in high esteem long ago, the 1930s Draper-Maynard's company stationary listed along the side greats who used their equipment. Listed with folks like King Kelly, Buck Ewing, Babe Ruth and Jimmie Foxx was Sockalexis.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

The town of Holliston's team was, by most accounts, the inspiration for the "Mudville" team in "Casey at the Bat."

Old 03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

TRIVIA QUESTION

In 1897 there were two prominant Rookies playing in the National League. Both were hitting in the high .300's and were regarded as some of the best players to come along in years. BOTH had problems with alcohol during the year and both were disciplined for their problems. It was written about often that these players had a tremendous amount of potential but would need to stay away from the Bottle. One managed to get his life in order and one did not. The one who was unanimously chosen as the better of the two players is the one who couldn't abstain, Sockalexis.

Who was the other player?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Wagner?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the contibutions, Rhys and Paul, those are incredible! Especially the card. What a collectible!

Dan, I live in Newton, and I don't know of any real baseball sites, tbh. I only know of the Worcester stuff really since I researched at the Historical Museum there.

It's great to see that I'm not the only one with a longtime interest in "Sock". He was definitely a great player and an absolute legend. In 1998, I wrote a letter to each member of the HOF Veterans Committee, calling for his inclusion to the Hall. No response.

It's so tragic to hear that both Louis and Andrew struggled with disease, in spite of the tremendous courage the showed to bring their elite athleticism to "white" society. These types of stories are all too common in Native-American history.

For those who feel compelled to learn more about life on the res and Indian integration into modern times, I really enjoyed the fiction book "Winter in the Blood" by James Welch, and it is now a Penguin classic. It's very authentic and a quite engaging read - alternately sad and astounding - and very fulfilling in its depth.

Cheers,

Jamie