NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default Why do Ebay sellers do this?

Posted By: Chuck Ross

I'm mainly a vintage nonsports collector but I'm sure this is also a problem for you baseball guys (and gal). Why do eBay sellers end their auctions early? Unless you get an outrageous offer for something on the side, why would a seller possibly want to avoid competitive bidding? When someone says "I'll give you X amount to stop this auction" shouldn't the seller's first thought be that this person is afraid that the final amount would actually end up higher if the auction ran its course? There are 2 or 3 collectors in my part of the hobby who are notorious for pulling off these low-ball schemes. I can understand a little bit when a neophyte seller falls for this, but even the big boys do it. Here are 2 examples from yesterday. This seller is, I think, a highly reputable seller used by folks on this board. This is no knock on the seller, its just that I find it very puzzling. When I sell on eBay, I would never end an auction early.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6103026001

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=6103030336

Old 06-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

The seller of the material you have listed is a very respected and trustworthy person. If Seth ended the auction early, I'm sure he had good reason. You could email him and ask him why. He' very approachable and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ernst

If you shaft the buyer by ending the auction early, he can't leave you negative feedback!

Old 06-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth Nagdeman

Sorry for the confusion. The reason for ending the 2 ebay auctions early was a request of my consignor. He notified me that his cost was much higher than he thought he would receive on ebay.

If there is someone that would pay a nice amount for either auction, please email me the offer and I will list the item on ebay with a buy it now at that price.

Sincerely,
Seth
seth@19thcenturyonly.com

Old 06-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Administrator

I gave it some thought... rather than anyone emailing me, I will check with my consignor on Monday to discuss the issue and see what he wants to do. If he decides to relist the lots, I will respond to this post.

Seth

Old 06-20-2004, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck

Seth: Thanks for clearing up this particular case. I know you are a first-class dealer and wasn't honing in on your auctions, but just puzzled by the phenomenon in general. I know from personal experience in selling on eBay, that when I post scarce items I am sure to get several emails within the first day asking how much it would take to pull the auction. As a friend of mine pointed out, the prevelance of ebay sellers posting "I will not end auctions early" reflects the degree to which this is going on. I am still just curious as to why sellers would ever do this (other than in legitimate cases like the one you have described).

Chuck

Old 06-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Sometimes you get an offer you can't refuse. Plus, ending it early means you get to duck the final selling fees, which in the case of rare and expensive items, can be quite hefty.

Jay

Old 06-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I have asked sellers several times what the cost would be to pull an auction. A lot will let the auction run its course, but I have also picked up a number of items for the price that the seller wanted to end the auction. A while back, I picked up a 1934 Yankees signed baseball for $1,300. The seller made the sell and forgot to pull the auction. He did sell the ball to me for the his price but the high bid ended at nearly $2,000. It never hurts to ask if it is an item that you really are interested in.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Administrator

As promised, here is notification that the Dick Tracy lot has been relisted at a higher opening bid. Thanks.

Link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6104341140