NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default The Thread for Very Hungry New Yorkers

Posted By: George

Barry,

Count me in. Any restauarant that has been mentioned is OK. It would think a night other than Saturday might be better, because it will be less crowded, but any night is OK.

George

Old 11-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Great George, you're in. I know Saturday is crowded but it is also a night when people have to time to go into the city. We are having a hard enough time agreeing on a venue- if we keep changing dates too we'll never get this accomplished.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Okay- we just got off the phone with Benson's and we can only be taken 6:00 or earlier or 8:00 or later. The problem is the theatre crowd. I think neither time is great. I don't mind 6:00 but it might be difficult for people to get to the city that early. What does everyone want to do? Pick another place, go with Benson's? Please someone else make a suggestion here. Thank you.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Barry, I think that 8 pm is fine, probably more likely to get everyone in at that time. The Palm or Palm II has a private room as well and may be more flexible.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i spoke to my friend, who manages Duke's, we can have a huge table, no problem...it is a relaxed fun atmosphere, much cheaper than benson's, BUT as i mentioned before, I am in, and am flexible...a few more places to consider:

Angelo & Maxie's- fun steakhouse
Smith & Wolinsky- famous steakhouse
Maceleria- low-key steakhouse in the meatpacking dist.
El Quiote- famous Spanish steakhouse & seafood
PJ Clarke's- steak & seafood

Buddakhan- new upscale restaurant in MPD
TAO- asian fusion
Ruby Foo's- asian fusion

and i already mentioned Old Homestead, but that seems to have gotten shot down...

Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

I think 8:00 is a little late but that's me. But I'll go with the majority.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator

8pm is late? couldn't imagine eating out on a saturday night any earlier...but that's just me...i am good with any time...

if you guys really want to step it up, i have eaten many times at Mario Botali's "Del Posto"...and probably could work something out with them, but not sure if we want to spend that much...just a thought.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Has anyone tried digesting a big ole hunk of steer late at night?....not that great. I remember last time I ate a big steak at about 9pm it was very late before I could get to bed...but whatever is good for most people is ok with me...Saturday would be best as I would be flying in...Honestly, it might be difficult for me to make another night but if a lot of people couldn't make Saturday, and ya'll do Friday, I could politely bow out....As Edacra said, there has to be quite a few decent steak houses that would love to have a party of 15 middle aged guys at their establishment....with a place sectioned for us, or at least out of the aisle way......

Old 11-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I eat very early, but again I don't want to make the decision for 15 other people. I think I'm going to defer to the group- just pick a place, anytime anywhere, and if the majority goes with it, I'll be there. Unfortunately, we have too many choices and the only thing we've agreed on is the date and even that hasn't received unanimous approval. I don't know how to get everyone on the same page. I'm not upset, just can't come up with the right plan. Added to say I agree with Leon- if you sit at 8:00 we won't eat until close to 9:00, and we're not eating petit fours- we're talking about a heavy meal. Again, let the group decide.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

12/9 at Morton's. Meet at the bar at 6:00, dinner at 7:00. Reservations should be made ASAP.

And unfortunately I can't go, but I'm sensing some frustration and just wanna see a decision made so you guys can have a great time!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Sounds great Cobby. I know it's a long trip from California. Everybody agree with that? Morton's for early drinks and dinner at 7:00? I think we have to steer clear of the theatre district.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Morton's would allow us to avoid the theatre group for the most part. I'll call tonight and ask if they can do a dinner for 15 at 7 pm.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Honestly, I'm not sure you need more suggestions, there's an endless list of private rooms...but these are really safe choices where you could go with your hip friends or just your Grandparents and all would feel comfortable:

I think you guys were on to something with the MICHAEL JORDAN'S suggestion... and they have a private area for large parties.
http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=3125>

I also highly suggest SAN CUBANOS, a Cuban place in the meat packing district with amazing food, a festive atmosphere, and a strange mix of families amongst a J. Lo crowd. The food is like healthier upscale Cuban, so no rice and beans. Check the menu:
http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=3386>

WALKERS - has a back room you can reserve. It's superior to PJ Clarke's I feel, and has a great comfort food menu with some high end items too, so will fit every budget. I'm mentioning this a second time, just because it's a real classic New York spot and a bit of a secret.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid>
=4415&neighborhoodid=23&cuisineid=0

BLUE WATER GRILL - great steak, great fish, nice Union Sqr. location. Has a party room downstairs that seats 35.
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7087551/>

P.S. Barry, Wolfgang's does have a private room!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

OK, i'm in...12/9 @ Morton's...6pm drinks, 7pm dinner...fine with me. let me know if you get reservations...Morton's is good.

i have an idea...why don't we each bring ONE card for show & tell, maybe a favorite card, or one with a cool story...sounds corny, but might be fun...

Old 11-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Jeff- if you can get Morton's, just grab it. Please mention to them we don't have a final head count so how much flexibility would they have with that number. And if that's no good, a private room at Wolfgang's...think of it, that's porterhouse guys, porterhouse steak we are talking about. It doesn't get any better than that. And to add I thought about the same thing- everyone bringing one item for show and tell. But the table could get messy. Leon could use his Four Base Hit as a drink coaster, that would be cool!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I think that's a good idea. One card....that has special meaning.

Agreed on Wolfgang's or Morton's or MJ's, whichever will have us in a private room.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

Have a great time guys-- Barry, I'll be in Brooklyn near your digs, so if you can leave the door open and the key to your safe out, I'd appreciate it (insert smiley here)- funnier since you know what I do for a living...
Seriously, if this goes well, let's try again in the late winter/spring for a second go-round. Maybe I'll bring one of my Drums. And if I can, go with a Petite Sirah with the steak - better than Cab.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

A stupid question from someone that wishes he could be there:

What's the fascination with eatting steak when going out? I think being from a farm family that raised cattle and had steak on a regular basis makes cringe when thinking steak for a eatting an out experience. The fact I am also a pretty cook jades me as preparing a steak isn't particularly difficult or artful.

For me, when I go out to eat, I want to get something that I can't or won't make at home. This means I usually end up at Thai, Carribean, Indian or other exotic restaurant.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Jay, it's a city man thing. We go out in herds and drink and eat steaks. It's been going on since the invention of the cow, basically.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Jay- fair point but steak seems like something most people would like, and we have a large group. Me, I like sushi and grilled octopus, but I don't think an octopus house would go over so well.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

also one thing to keep in mind, one of my best friend's (you might have seen his name on eBay buying top quality T206 cards: Dar), is in a wheelchair, if he comes, we might want to ask if these places are accesable for him. i believe Morton's is, but please, if you don't mind, ask when making reservations anywhere...thanks!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I may be wrong but I think Wolfgang's is in a hotel, and hotels should be wheelchair accessible. I don't know about Morton's.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Lordy Cobby you just read my mind. I can't go either, but was about to do the same thing - just put a time and place out there and call it a decision. It started out as a nice steak and conversation about cards, and by the end pretty much every restaurant in New York was proposed by someone - from steak to fast food, niche to national chain.

Jay - you're right that steaks are almost a staple in the midwest. But I still love to go out for a good steak, and am always using those meals to try to cook them better at home.

Joann

(Not to thread hijack ... but after a great steak out, and lots of trial and error, I did finally figure out how to make a steak that is perfectly medium rare from edge to edge - the brown on the outside looks like it's painted on. There is no depth at all that's cooked beyond med-rare. Email me if you want to know - it's great.)

Old 11-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'd offer my BBQ sauce/marinade recipe, but I am hoping to take it commercial next grilling season.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

If all else fails, there's a MacDonald's near Grand Central Station with particularly nice ambience. With the money you save you could buy more cards.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

convention for card hosers to get together to plan their next
scheme on what they are going to do to all of us good guys.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Barry, if you are waiting for everyone to agree, well I will wait along with you. But lets make it interesting!

I got a buck that says agreement will occur after an even number of posts, in an even numbered year.

Gil

Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Barry, wish I could be there, have not been to New York since "Joey Dee and The Starlighters played at the Peppermint Lounge. I'm sure most Net54 lurkers or posters won't know who Joey Dee is?

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Well it's Sunday morning- have we made any progress?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Barry, I put a call into Morton's last night and was told I'd get a call back today. I'll call Jordan's tonight if I don't hear from Morton's.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the effort. Let us know when you hear back from them.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Let's make it simple. You can all come to my house in Wisconsin and my wife and I will cook for you.

Rick

Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the invite, you can't beat a home cooked meal. Does the subway go as far as Wisconsin?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

If we are able to catch a Packer game while we are there....

I like your idea best so far!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Rick, my wife is from Burlington. In homage to Joe Piscopo's character in "Johnny Dangerously," I visited there once.....once.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

I live in midtown, so anywhere in the city is fine. I sort of like the ESPNZone idea, but I am not picky. When is the date?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Administrator

just to remind everyone, we could get set-up nicely at Earl's, my best friend is the manager...cool crowd, fun sports bar, etc (if we want to go that route)...if we want to step it up, there's morton's, old homestead, jordon's...if we want to take it one more notch, there's del posto.

i too live in mid-town, and am up for anything, let's just make a decision and stick with it...

***Don't forget to bring ONE special card for show & tell...

Old 11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Administrator

This is what we've established so far: the date is Dec 9, I'm keeping a list of who is coming and you can email me at bsloate@att.net or just post on this thread, and Jeff Lichtman will get back to us re: the two restaurants he has contacted. I think we have too many chefs recommending too many places and it is making things more complicated. If Jeff is unsuccessful, then we can go to plan #2.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I like the "take-charge" attitute Barry- that is why YOU organize auctions...and I just buy from them...haha. i'll remain in the wings until plan # 2 is needed.

Best-
MS

Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

I'm generally not much of a social planner but we need some focus here for sure. If Jeff can't get us a room or at least a large table then you are definitely our plan #2 (It's Mike, right? I hope we all use our real names at the dinner!)

Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

sorry, some of us need to start using our REAL names...

Michael (Mike) it is...

Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I saw Frank Evanov said a weekday night was best and I agree.

I could make a weekday night but almost never a weekend night as we have things planned most weekends.

Can we take a vote?

Jim

Old 11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Jim- While I hoped you could join us we have been trying for two days just to pick a restaurant. The only thing we have agreed on is a date. If we change that, we will never work this out. Surely there is some way you can break away for a few hours on a Saturday- a quick drink and a meal won't take long. Well, the board is free to vote on anything, but do we even have a place to go? Jeff was going to get back to us but hasn't yet. Maybe by tomorrow we'll consider going to plan B. Michael, you may have to call your friend.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

If everyone still wants to vote on a date then let me get my vote in- Dec 9, 7:00 PM. And I like Bruce Babcock's idea of McDonald's- do they have imported beer?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

but if Morton's falls through, how about Italian? Surely, there must be a good Italian restaurant in midtown that offers a private or semi-private room, and that even those who prefer steaks over ethnic dining would find acceptable. Mark

Old 11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Administrator

The point person at Morton's is not in until tomorrow -- and I'll have this nailed down by tomorrow at this time one way or the other.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The Dallas get together had everything nailed down in five posts.

Are you telling me that those cowboys have way clearer heads than you Yanks?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I vote for December 6th--a Wednesday night--how does that fit--Saturday nights do not work.

Jim

Old 11-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

"The Dallas get together had everything nailed down in five posts.
Are you telling me that those cowboys have way clearer heads than you Yanks?"

Maybe because we have more options?

Anyways, why not a structured tally, like so:
===========================================
Name: Rob
Preferred Date(s): Dec. 6,7,8,9
Preferred Time: Any
Preferred Restaurant Type: Steak/Seafood
===========================================
And then maybe from these sets of data we can organize something.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

RobNYC,

Good idea.

NAME Jim Crandell
Preferred Date: December 6th or 7th(No weekends)
Preferred Time: 6-7PM
Preferred Restaurant: Manhattan steak/seafood