NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Looking for 1991 Topps Oil Can Boyd

I am looking for the 1991 Oil Can Boyd card with the flag tip airbrushed over his hand WITH the added black border, if anyone has any information on that one.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Al Richter

Default Toppa # 48 Boyd

Joe--while I have read about a third version of this card, see link below, I only have two front versions. My guess is that there are actually more than 3 versions since almost all cards in the set have different backs as well. I think the 1991 Topps sets has more variant cards than any other Topps set

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/201...ing-checklist/

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-17-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Dylan

It definitely exists. I pulled one once (see scan in link) and have seen at least one other show up for sale on ebay.

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/200...-issue/#more-9
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Al Richter

Default 3d Boyd

Jackson---do you think the 3d one is a "creation" after the fact....like some of the Campos black and partial black stars. It would seem if Topps made that change to the printing process it would not be the rarest of the 3
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Jackson---do you think the 3d one is a "creation" after the fact....like some of the Campos black and partial black stars. It would seem if Topps made that change to the printing process it would not be the rarest of the 3
I know that I pulled the copy shown on my blog from a $0.99 priced cello box. I remember seeing the outlined flag tip version had a stray bit of black ink over his cap as well. I opened numerous $0.99 cellos after finding it and never found another. However, a copy popped up a while ago on ebay that did not have that stray black ink on his cap.

It could've been some kind of damage to the plate early on and Topps tried the pink flag tip/brown hand tip versions as "fixes.". It could be something Topps decided to correct late in the run...but it was, no doubt, printed on the copy I pulled.

Semi off-topic...If you are familiar with the Storm Davis variation (can be found with registration symbol above Topps logo on front) and you have a 1991 Tiffany set, you'll find a batch of cards also have the registration symbol above the Topps logo, including Storm Davis. It's possible that other 1991 Topps cards come in this variation as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 PM
J Ryan
Banned

went through one of my 1991 topps factory box sets and found these printing errors

theres a var with the tm erased and one with it....this looks half way erased

lots of spots and yellowing in the team/name

yellow in team name box, and white on the face
Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
I am looking for the 1991 Oil Can Boyd card with the flag tip airbrushed over his hand WITH the added black border, if anyone has any information on that one.

Thanks,
Sean
I just recently sold the 4th known copy of this card. It went very quickly. The last copy, the 1st known, that I owned was sold in 2007. Since then I have seen a number of Mark Whiten, Hoiles, Drabek and other variations from 1991 Topps show up with regularity but never this variation.

As it stands, this variation and the Joe Morgan with "87" hits on back variation are the two toughest 1991 Topps error cards where Topps actually made a change to the card during production.

For print mishaps, any non A* and B* cards with bold 40th logos and player cards with manager orientation on back seem to be the scarcest among the printing mistake variations.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
I just recently sold the 4th known copy of this card. It went very quickly. The last copy, the 1st known, that I owned was sold in 2007. Since then I have seen a number of Mark Whiten, Hoiles, Drabek and other variations from 1991 Topps show up with regularity but never this variation.

As it stands, this variation and the Joe Morgan with "87" hits on back variation are the two toughest 1991 Topps error cards where Topps actually made a change to the card during production.

For print mishaps, any non A* and B* cards with bold 40th logos and player cards with manager orientation on back seem to be the scarcest among the printing mistake variations.
Any chance you could post a picture of the Boyd you just sold? Thank you
Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Any chance you could post a picture of the Boyd you just sold? Thank you
Sure! It was nice copy too:

Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Ben North

Thanks for the picture Dylan. Does it have the bold logo back?
Old 09-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Thanks for the picture Dylan. Does it have the bold logo back?
No, it was the regular back.