NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Default Mainstream vs. Scarce Rookie Cards

Posted By: Phil Garry

How do you feel about Rookie Cards that were mainstream issues such as Goudey, Play Ball, T206, etc. as compared to the scarcer regional or low-production issues such as Worch Cigar, Boston Store, E103, etc. Which Rookie Cards would you prefer to own?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

honestly, I would prefer to own mainstream rookie cards over the regional or odd-issue counterparts, (in any year, pre or post-war)

Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris bland

I prefer the scarcer cards - makes it even more exciting when you land one of them.

Speaking of scarce rookie cards Phil - let me know when you want to sell that 1946 Red Schoendienst card!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Phil ,

Personally I don't like mainstream cards, Why? Because every Tom, Dick and Harry has one! What's the point collecting rare prewar cards if there so easy to obtain? ~ you might as well collect upperdeck cards!

Regarding Rookie cards: Obviously I'd want the scarcer regional or low-production issues, "that's Collecting in my eyes!".

Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Chris:

I don't think an earlier issue than the 1946 Sears will ever turn up picturing Schoendienst so I will not be selling that one unless I sell my whole collection one day...........

Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Brad, Chris:

I tend to agree with you guys that the scarcer issues are more interesting but do you think that future values will be ehanced by replacing cards like a 1951 Bowman Whitey Ford with a 1951 Berk Ross Ford? I realize that this example is post-war but you get the general idea.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

For me it's an easy choice. I enjoy scarcer items so the less populated the better...When I was a rookie collector I would always count the regionals too....Or you can be like Beckett and say the '33 Goudey is Ruth's rookie ...As for collecting rookies "to each their own" is the perfect saying on this one....regards

Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Even more perfect would be "to each his own"

Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris bland

I dont think rookie collectors looking for the more obscure version of a rookie card will have much of an influence on the value of the more mainstream cards - there are always going to be enough collectors of sets like the 33 goudey and 51 bowman to keep those "rookies" in high demand. Just my .02...

Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Prewar, I'll take the regional/scarcer card every time. Postwar, sometimes the regionals are better. Shown: 1928 Zeenuts Ernie Lombardi, 1961 Morrell Meats Maury Wills

Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Although, I don't collect rookies as a goal, I do usually prefer a player's earlier card, if its affordable. But as far as this topic goes, I ALWAYS will go after the oddball types, given the choice. Just find them more interesting. Plus, they create an eclectic mix alongside the more mainstream issues. Makes for a very cool display, which is important to me.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McHugh IV

Hi Phil,
Personally I love the scarcer Rookies compared to the more common ones as I have found out over the past year or so as I have some money problems and basically that is caused from an addiction to HOF Rookie Cards and Auto's. I have sold about 80% of my collection which included Rookies of Mays,Ryan,Schmidt,Mathews and auto's of Paul Waner,Speaker,Frisch + others but no matter how broke I am I still can't turn down a 1916 Urban Faber R.C for $300 nor can I even ponder of getting rid of my Cobb R.C's,Lazzeri,Lyons,Ruffing,Vance,Maranville,Rousc h,Alexander+ other R.C's. There is always a price for something but with these harder-to-get Rookies that price is so high for a reason.....I don't want to lose them!The joy of the chase and when you finally do find a scarce R.C is priceless which is why I sold all of my more common R.C's,
Dan

Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dan,

An addiction to HOF Rookies and autographs, I know your pain. However, you've come to the wrong place to shake your addiction. If anything we are only going to feed it.

I like the mainstream rookies that I have, but that is only because I can't find the scarcer ones people have been mentioning. But when I do I'll buy those up, also. LOL.

Peter C.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

No contest...while I own a few classics that I love esthetically...I'll take the rarity most any day! But not this day...the cobb is gone...good riddance!

pete ullman

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

If I was to collect rookies, I would employ these two criteria:
1 - get his earliest US major league card.
2 - if more than one is available, select the cheapest.

The following type of card issuers have a lower acceptability in my preference scheme: Foreign manufacturers.
The following type of card issuers have an even lower acceptability in my preference scheme: TCMA, Conlon, Target Dodgers, Larry Fritsch, etc.
The following type of card issuers have an even lower acceptability in my preference scheme: Reprints.
In the event that no major league card is available for the player, a minor league card would next be chosen from major US sets; followed in preference by any minor league set. Failing this, any card representing the player is preferable (for example: the Graham Scholarship Fund's Moonlight Graham card - not for HOF sets, but for player sets).

But I don't collect these.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

gil...so right you are!

pete ullman