NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Help identifying signatures on this 1934 Tour of Japan Baseball

Hey all,

I picked up this baseball at the last Heritage Auction. They labeled in the most comprehensive 1934 ball they have ever seen, so I guess it comes with the territory that I'm struggling to determine who some of the players are.

Here's what I think it is. Would really appreciate help filling in the ??'s.

Much thanks in advance!

Panel 1:

Sweet Spot
Babe Ruth
? (seems to be upside down but not sure...)

Panel 2:

"A.L. STARS Hololulu T.H. /34
Connie Mack
Lou Gehrig
Rabbit Warstler
Bing Miller
Lefty O'Doul
?

Panel 3:

Joe Cascarella
Jimmie Foxx
Earl Whitehill
?? (left side)
Charlie Gehringer
?? (Signature on bottom)
Edit: Hans Pung - Hawaii baseball player (Signature on right side)

Panel 4:

Doc Ebbing
Frank Hayes
Lefty Gomez
Clint Brown
Edit: Johnny Kerr (Hawaii baseball player)
??

Panel 5:

?? (left side)
Moe Berg
Eric McNair
Earl Averill
??
??

Panel 6:

??

Some names I thought I might see, but don't think are there:
John Quinn (umpire)
Robert J. Schroeder (A's traveling secretary who helped arrange the trip)
Sotaro Suzuki (translator)
F. T. Matsumato (friend of Moe Berg, translator)

I'm wondering if some of the signatures may be Japanese players (in english) or wives of players although I have not found matches just yet.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 09-23-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Arn't they all listed on the JSA?
Old 11-29-2015, 04:46 PM
d.ean

According to at least one source Lefty O'Doul was not a member of the team. Further research has O'Doul as the coach.

http://www.baberuthcentral.com/babes...trip-to-japan/

Only 15 players made the roster and you seem to have all but 2 identified.

http://www.baberuthcentral.com/wp-co...naturesopt.jpg

One of the signatures seems to read Johnny Kerr (panel 4 after Clint Brown). If it is Kerr, then things get interesting. The All-Stars stopped over in Hawaii and played a game in the islands.

https://books.google.com/books?id=V_...20kerr&f=false

So, the signatures could be from members of the Hawaii All-Stars or as you stated, wives and other dignitaries.

Good luck.

Last edited by Huck; 11-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Michael

doesn't look like Lefty O'Doul
Old 11-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Arn't they all listed on the JSA?
They only have the HOF'ers and Berg listed by name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
According to at least one source Lefty O'Doul was not a member of the team. Further research has O'Doul as the coach.

Only 15 players made the roster and you seem to have all but 2 identified.

http://www.baberuthcentral.com/wp-co...naturesopt.jpg

One of the signatures seems to read Johnny Kerr (panel 4 after Clint Brown). If it is Kerr, then things get interesting. The All-Stars stopped over in Hawaii and played a game in the islands.

https://books.google.com/books?id=V_...20kerr&f=false

So, the signatures could be from members of the Hawaii All-Stars or as you stated, wives and other dignitaries.

Good luck.
I think you may have nailed it with Kerr. I thought that was the name there but couldn't understand how it would be on the ball since he wasn't in Japan, but the trip back through Hawaii would make sense. Might provide direction to help find some of the other names as well. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Agreed, though that is what it seems to spell...
Old 12-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Jeff Lazarus

I think Hawaii may be the key here.

On the panel with Foxx, the signature on the right appears to be Hans Pung, who was a member who played in that game.

Curious to know what people's thoughts are on the fact that this appears to be a Hawaii ball and not a ball signed in Japan (albeit with many of the same players...) Does that detract from the history? Add something?

It is possible it was initially partially signed in Japan and then signed in Hawaii (it seems to this point that the American players all signed first based on the location on their signatures...)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Just curious but I thought that Moe Berg had been released by Cleavland during the tour so he ended up leaving and going across Asia on the trans Siberian railroad. I bring this up because he would not have been in Hawaii on the way back for the game being referenced. If this is true then maybe the ball traveled with the group and was signed along the way or maybe my facts are wrong and this is a wasted post.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?
Drew
Old 12-01-2015, 09:59 AM
d.ean

The game against the Hawaii All-Star team was played on the way to Japan not on the return trip. Purportedly, while the team was touring Japan, Berg was acting as a spy.

Hawaii is the key. In my opinion the Johnny Kerr signature solidifies the fact that the ball was signed at the game between the US All-Stars against the Hawaii All-Stars. I thought the same thing about the Pung signature, but with the scan and angle, it was hard to be sure.

I could find little information on the line up for the 1934 Hawaii All-Star team. The names I found are: Johnny Kerr, Ted Shaw, Ted Nobriga and Francis Goo.

Thinking there might be some holdovers on the 1935 Hawaii touring team, I found the line up.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln38a.html

There is a Rodrigues listed and but it is hard to tell if the name is a match for one of the two Rodrigues on the ball.

The last name for the signature under Gehringer (panel 3) looks to be Douglas. Which could be Lionel Douglas the Captain of the ship the Empress of Japan. It makes sense that the Captain would have attended the game.

(page 77) https://books.google.com/books?id=V_...hawaii&f=false

It is hard to tell with the quality of the scans but the last name on panel 5 could be Nobriga, but it also looks like the name Bridges.

Last edited by Huck; 12-01-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I think Hawaii may be the key here.

On the panel with Foxx, the signature on the right appears to be Hans Pung, who was a member who played in that game.

Curious to know what people's thoughts are on the fact that this appears to be a Hawaii ball and not a ball signed in Japan (albeit with many of the same players...) Does that detract from the history? Add something?

It is possible it was initially partially signed in Japan and then signed in Hawaii (it seems to this point that the American players all signed first based on the location on their signatures...)
Hawaii is the key. Again, the game in Hawaii was played on the way to Japan not on the return trip. In fact, after the games in Japan, Ruth went on an extended tour of Asia, and I don't think would have stopped over in Hawaii again.

I don't think it detracts from history at all. Most autograph collectors would kill for those signatures on a ball. I am a tad biased, since Hawaii is my home state! I feel that on the voyage to Hawaii the players signed quite a few balls that were to be presented as gifts of appreciation. The person who received this ball had members of the Hawaii squad add their signatures. What you have is a one of kind item with a great story.

From this thread http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=138604 - there appears to be an abundance of 1934 tour fakes out there. I think the Hawaii players signatures adds to the overall authenticity of the piece.

Last edited by Huck; 12-01-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
jdunevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post

Agreed, though that is what it seems to spell...
Looks like Lefty Gomez to me.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I don't see that this was answered, but above Connie Mack it says or appears to say
A.L. Stars
Honolulu T.H. /34

The T.H. being Territory of Hawai'i.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
The game against the Hawaii All-Star team was played on the way to Japan not on the return trip. Purportedly, while the team was touring Japan, Berg was acting as a spy.
Thank you for clearing that up.
Drew
Old 12-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I don't see that this was answered, but above Connie Mack it says or appears to say
A.L. Stars
Honolulu T.H. /34

The T.H. being Territory of Hawai'i.
Thanks for this. Pretty sure the A.L. Stars is right along with T.H. /34 (which in an inscription I've seen elsewhere, so it fits.

Looking under a strong light I don't think the word is Honolulu though. Not sure though...
Old 09-23-2017, 11:43 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Pretty cool. I just got a message from a family member of Hans Pung who informed me that one of the signatures on the ball appears to be Charles En Sue Pung, the "old man of Hawaii baseball" as he described him.

Nice to be able to identify another name.

Chris, if you are on the boards here, thanks for the assist. I'd love to be in touch regarding this item and Hawaii baseball if you have any other information you don't mind sharing. Thanks!

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 09-23-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:55 AM
edward

Default 1934 tour of japan

The upside down signature above Babe Ruth appears to end in Akita, with the first name looking something like Dorothy.--Ed Smith