NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Default Tough Active MLB Players

Good morning and happy Labor Day to all. Does anyone know who are toughie autograph's to obtain of active duty players? I know from my own personal experience that Zach Greinke is very tough was wondering who is is difficult.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Jeff Lazarus

While some players may be harder to get in person, I am not sure anyone is rare. There are thousands of Greinke signed autograph cards out there from Topps, Upper Deck etc.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I agree there are, I was talking about in person or through the mail.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Brandon V.

Zack Greinke is actually a really reserved sort of person. I think a lot of fans think he's somewhat arrogant because of fan interaction but it seems like he just wants to go out and play baseball.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Thumbs up

I agree ! He is good guy just quiet
Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Dave

Doesn't Greinke also have a well documented case of Social Anxiety Disorder going all the way back to his minor league days? That would help explain his limited interactions.

Reminds me little bit of Jim Eisenreich back in the day, who was eventually diagnosed with Tourette's.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-05-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Greinke is a good egg. Seems to have managed his social anxiety very well and is thriving 10+ years in the league. Saw him when he was a rookie at Royals spring training and there were a bunch of us looking to get his autograph. He was shagging balls in the outfield and not really acknowledging the requests...those guys really changed tones and started giving him a rough time. They eventually left and I was the only guy left...the practice wound down and he came over near me in left field to retrieve a few stray balls. I called over to him and told him I was sorry folks were giving him a hard time and not to hold it against everyone looking for autographs. He called me over, said thanks for understanding and asked for my ball and pen...got a sweet spot ball for being patient and polite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Brandon V.

From what I've been told he's just kinda shy with people he doesn't know. By virtue of other players he's a hell of a great teammate.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:53 AM

Jurickson Profar had a horrible reputation when I was at Rangers camp a few years ago. He was still a top prospect then. I heard more than one fan describe him as human garbage. Not sorry his career is where it is.

I've always found Verlander to be impossible too. Even when he was a rookie he ignored people. Tigers camp has always been one of the most accessible and fan friendly camps and I have never seen Verlander sign one autograph.

Last edited by packs; 09-06-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Brandon V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I have never seen Verlander sign one autograph.
Aren't some players under contract to only sign autographs for a particular company? Maybe that is the case.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

That is no reason to turn down a little kid. It is their way of just shinning you off.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM

My understanding is that such an agreement would only limit the player from signing on the sweet spot or making inscriptions. For example, nearly every Yankee is under an agreement with Steiner. I would see Jeter turn baseballs and sign on the side panel when he signed in person.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeven View Post
Aren't some players under contract to only sign autographs for a particular company? Maybe that is the case.
Usually only applies to paid signings and inscriptions. Players can sign for free. Verlander was known in Detroit to sign:

1) at Tigerfest, last year left early before his assigned one hour was done
2) First day of Pitchers and Catchers in Spring Training

Other than that, he was TOUGH. I know first hand he turned all attempts at paid signings. DC had him at the beginning of his career and he hated it.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:40 AM

I've spent a lot of time at Cardinals camp too and have never seen Yadier Molina sign even one autograph.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Usually only applies to paid signings and inscriptions. Players can sign for free. Verlander was known in Detroit to sign:

1) at Tigerfest, last year left early before his assigned one hour was done
2) First day of Pitchers and Catchers in Spring Training

Other than that, he was TOUGH. I know first hand he turned all attempts at paid signings. DC had him at the beginning of his career and he hated it.
I couldn't agree with you more Taz.
BTW, the ONLY times that I was ever successful getting Verlander was at Tigersfest (in 2008) and at the DC Sports paid signing event when I brought my kids.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've spent a lot of time at Cardinals camp too and have never seen Yadier Molina sign even one autograph.
He has been pretty decent in the past in my experience when was in Kissimee to play the Braves. It's been several years since I have tried to get him.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-07-2017, 01:40 PM

I've never been to the games, only practice.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Ichiro has never signed for me in person. Always smiles and is polite but never signs..not in Florida or here in N.Y..
Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Ichiro was the best signer I saw all spring his first year with the Marlins. He signed by the fence around the players parking lot every day when he was leaving. He definitely had his routine down but if you were by the corner of the fence when he left and had good position you could get him multiple times. I'm sure in the overall scheme of things he's a fairly tough graph to get but he was a champ that spring.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:54 AM

Read this amusing article about Pat Neshek failing to get Zack Greinke's autograph and calling Greinke a "turd"

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...autograph-snub