NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default What's Your Good Advice for Collectors

Posted By: hankron

This is a companion thread to "Common Hobby Assumptions that Are Wrong"

Give a piece of practical advice (big or small, general about buying or specfic to a card) that the collector who has been collecting a while can use. Not total beginner stuff ("Buy an SCD," "Topps was sold with gum"), but for readers of this board.

An example advice would be, "When in doubt, assume a card is not a proof. Most printing errors, blank backs and strange variations are scrapps or errors, and are not proofs."

Old 12-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The obvious one, buy the card, not the holder, when it comes to graded cards.

Jay

The difference be genius and insanity is acceptance.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In my opinion, baseball card collecting is for the fun. Yes, we are serious collectors = serious about the fun.

Baseball card investors may also share in much of this fun, since it seems more enjoyable to me to hold a group of Mayos than shares of stock.

Its only cards.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

seems elementary, but so many miss it. A dealer or fellow collector may have something you really need but may not go to the trouble of helping you out if you are a jerk.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Collect what YOU want to collect. Don't collect what others tell you to collect or is the trendy new thing collect. You'll be happier in the long run.

Jay

The difference between genius and insanity is acceptance.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

I would say do as much research as possible regardings prices before you go to a show. This will help tremendously!
Also, along the lines as the previous poster, "Love what you collect, and collect what you love."

"I'm thinking about getting a plasma T.V., in case I need a transfusion."- Steven Wright

Old 12-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Administrator

I agree with Adam 100%. If only for your own benefit, you should always be polite and friendly to people from who you want help. If you're rude or curt, many will ignore you when they are ordinarilly helpful ... And always say thank you.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Whatever it is you collect, study, study, study and i don't mean only price guides. Go to shows, go to more shows, handle cards, talk to dealers, etc. Knowledge is always power and thorough knowledge takes lots of work.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Don’t be intimidated; Barry Halpers of the world and many board members here may have staggering collections. Just remember they all started somewhere too, don’t be afraid to talk or ask questions. Be proud of what you have most all of the people who “collect” cards would love to hear about you’re dog eared Cobb bat off how you obtained it, and how excited it made you feel.Your story might just inspire the next generation of collectors.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

It's lots of fun, and may even bring some great stuff your way.

I've met two of you in person; one hates me, the other doesn't...yet!

About the National: I suppose it is silly to go if you don't have at least a K to spend, but I think most board members go to meet other board members as much as for the cards.

If you have a modest income, or live on a modest budget, I think it's safe to say the further back in time your collecting goes, the slower it gets!

Old 12-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

If I have the choice between two good cards and one very good card, I'll take the very good card--all other things being equal. I don't have nearly as many cards as I could have, but I'm happy with the ones I have. I will also almost always choose quality over rarity--but there are exceptions. A wretched Boston Garter is still a Boston Garter.

Don't acquire just to acquire. Hold off until you can get what you really want. Most of us are regular Joes (and a Jane) with limited incomes, but we can still have that 33 Goudey Ruth or a nice OJ Cabinet if we're willing to save and wait. Sometimes it's discouraging because prices rise as I save, but it usually works out.

If I'm no longer having fun or become obsessed, I back off for awhile. I always come back with a greater respect for the hobby and a deeper appreciation for the cards.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Administrator

If you're investing in cards or memorabilia, remember that cards aren't like internet stocks in that you have to find a real person to buy. Realize that there are very few people who can afford that single $20,000 card, but there are tons of average collectors who afford $100, $500 and $1,000 cards.

Also, even if the book value goes up, many investments are ruined by the investor overpaying from the start. I knew of a woman who wanted to invest in diamonds, so she went to the jewelry store and a diamond. She had no idea how much the store marked up the diamonds (aka 'retail') and that a normal person, like herself, could never sell a diamond at store price.

If you are an active buyer and seller (whether by yourself on eBay or consigning), you will be a better investor, as you know what people really pay for memorabilia, what actually sells versus what is tough to push and what it's really like to sell items for when you wish to cash in on your investment. There's a big difference between selling yourself and browsing the MastroNet and Robert Edwards 'prices realized' sheet.

Long term experience is important, as you will see how fashion changes, fads appear and dissapear, and, most important, what is of essential quality. For example, beginning modern card collectors are inevitably shocked to find the cards they pulled from packs and won on eBay fall drastically in price over the next couple of years. Their first investing lesson is, that with modern cards, collectors are excited about this year's cards, and in a year this year's cards are last year's cards.

The best thing that can happen to a Donald Trump wannabe is for his first stock to tank in days (assuming the investment was of affordable $), because he'll realize he doesn't know what he's doing. The worst thing that can happen is for his first sale to be a quick & easy profit, because he'll think he knows what he's doing.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

When I was nearing college graduation a professor said to me "lots of people are going to have lots of (sometimes opposing) suggestions for you. I recommend that you look carefully at the people making the suggestion to help in judging which to value most highly. Those who are successful in the area of the suggestion are clearly more likely to provide greater insight than those who have ancilliary experiences. And sometimes those who have tried and failed have the most to offer"

Sounds a bit like wisdom from the mountaintop, but I found it helpful from time to time.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

The best collections in the world are bought, not earned through love of the hobby or education. Many people that collect baseball cards have "little mans complex" and must have the biggest and the best of everything, and then show it off to the world. Hence the PSA set registry, and the staggering prices at auction.

If you are a collector on a limited budget, as most are, try to not get overwhealmed by others purchasing $50,000 a month on cards and then showing everybody. The happiest you will ever be as a collector is by finding something that you want for yourself and not comparing your collection to other people's.

Rhys

Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Rhys, I agree with you.

A collector with a modest collecting allowence but a knowledge and love of the material can have a far superior and more interesting collection than the multi millionaire with little knowledge and who is trying to show off.

Some of my favorite items cost me under $10 each, and likely would resell for about the same.
If it's for your personal collection, all that really matters is what you think of it. If others don't see what you see in it, that doesn't matter because it's part of your collection. They are free to have their own collections of things you don't get.