NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-31-2024, 07:31 PM

Default Basketball Hall of Fame inductions announced on April 6th

Who will make the make the Hall of Fame?

- Chauncey Billups

- Vince Carter

- Michael Cooper

- Walter Davis

- Charles Smith
Old 03-31-2024, 08:54 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
Who will make the make the Hall of Fame?

- Chauncey Billups

- Vince Carter

- Michael Cooper

- Walter Davis

- Charles Smith
Vince, maybe Davis, Chauncey and Michael Cooper. Note that the Charles Smith being voted on is not the player, but a High School coach out of Louisiana.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 04-01-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:12 PM
T0NY @

Vince Carter & Walter Davis should be shoe ins.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:22 AM
Dave

Vince Carter should be a lock, though I don't think he was quite as good as people remember him to be.

BTW, check out his wild trade history, before he even played a game in the NBA. I don't remember the circumstances surrounding the last one on the list below...but it strikes me as real strange that he got traded straight up as the 5th pick in the draft (with some cash thrown in), for the 4th pick in the draft (Antawn Jamison).

I mean, Toronto obviously knew that the Warriors wanted Antawn Jamison all along...and they probably wanted Vince all along, but somehow knew they could squeeze some extra cash out of the Warriors by taking Jamison 1st and still get the player they wanted.

Just really weird.

Quote:
June 30, 1993: Traded by the Golden State Warriors (as a future 1998 1st round draft pick) with Anfernee Hardaway, a 1996 1st round draft pick (Todd Fuller was later selected) and a 2000 1st round draft pick (Mike Miller was later selected) to the Orlando Magic for Chris Webber.

July 29, 1994: Traded by the Orlando Magic (as a future 1998 1st round draft pick) with Scott Skiles and a 1996 1st round draft pick (Todd Fuller was later selected) to the Washington Bullets for a 1996 2nd round draft pick (Randy Livingston was later selected) and a 1998 1st round draft pick (Keon Clark was later selected).

November 17, 1994: Traded by the Washington Bullets (as a future 1998 1st round draft pick) with Tom Gugliotta, a 1996 1st round draft pick (Todd Fuller was later selected) and a 2000 1st round draft pick (Chris Mihm was later selected) to the Golden State Warriors for Chris Webber.

June 24, 1998: Drafted by the Golden State Warriors in the 1st round (5th pick) of the 1998 NBA Draft.

June 24, 1998: Traded by the Golden State Warriors with cash to the Toronto Raptors for Antawn Jamison.

Chauncey Billups was a nice player and is probably due to get in this year, where there's not a particularly strong class for this year's inductions.

Walter Davis started his career with a bang and looked like he had the makings of a "Great", but after only a few years regressed to a "Very Good" player, and pretty much stayed there for the rest of his career.

Michael Cooper is not really the type of player who gets in the HOF. Defensive stopper yes, but only 1 DPOY award in a relatively short career, and didn't stuff the stat sheets in other areas that get players like him in, such as Rebounds and/or Blocks. If he played on any other team besides those Laker teams during that time period, he wouldn't even be close to being considered.

Can't really speak on any of the other nominees this year, other then Jerry West will likely get in a 2nd time as an executive.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:53 AM

Dave, that was a STRONG post (above). Much respect.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

The standards aren't that high for Springfield. If you were a star for a reasonable period of time, it seems you have a good chance. By that standard, I still don't see Michael Cooper, but Carter for sure, Davis probably, and Billups good chance.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:10 AM
Charles Jackson

Note that Basketball-Reference has HOF probabilities for each player:

Vince Carter: 94.5%
Billups: 84.4%
Walter Davis: 30.9%
Michael Cooper: .9%

I tend to agree with the probabilities, but think Cooper should be a bit higher given that he was key to 5 championships.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 04-01-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Note that Basketball-Reference has HOF probabilities for each player:

Vince Carter: 94.5%
Billups: 84.4%
Walter Davis: 30.9%
Michael Cooper: .9%

I tend to agree with the probabilities, but think Cooper should be a bit higher given that he was key to 5 championships.
He wasn't THAT key. They had two of the top 10 players of all time, and you could argue top 5, and another superstar/near superstar in Worthy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-01-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

Michael Cooper is not really the type of player who gets in the HOF. Defensive stopper yes, but only 1 DPOY award in a relatively short career, and didn't stuff the stat sheets in other areas that get players like him in, such as Rebounds and/or Blocks. If he played on any other team besides those Laker teams during that time period, he wouldn't even be close to being considered.
I loved Showtime but I did not think of Coop as a HOFer, so I'd be surprised to see him inducted.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-01-2024, 11:58 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He wasn't THAT key. They had two of the top 10 players of all time, and you could argue top 5, and another superstar/near superstar in Worthy.
I agree that Cooper was never one of the top 3 stars on the Lakers and belongs in the Hall of Very Good, not the HOF.

Just saying under 1% chance is a little low for a guy that averaged over 25 minutes a game on one of the games great dynasties. He is also just one of six guards in league history to be Defensive Player of the Year, along with Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson, Michael Jordan, Gary Payton, and Marcus Smart.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:29 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

The entire group is a bit of a collective yawn this year, seems like the hof vote was as weak as the draft.

Chauncey is good enough but just barely and that is coming from a diehard Detroit sports fan. He was honestly a journeyman until he arrived in Detroit and had the pieces around him to click. He was certainly a late bloomer.

Vince Carter had a 22 season career but honestly 10 of hall of fame level play. The last six seasons were awful due to his refusal to hang it up. If he had retired at 32 it would be an easy yes, unfortunately he retired at 43. I’ll give him a pass, but it really got ugly there.

I wouldn’t give a second thought to Cooper, Davis or Smith. If Cooper belongs in for his laker play then so does AC Green…and I don’t believe that for a second. They picked the only two possible.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-05-2024 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:26 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Not sure if it’s for real but I’ve seen articles claiming Magic Johnson and James Worthy as saying Michael Cooper is in
https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...l-hall-of-fame
Old 04-05-2024, 02:10 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
Not sure if it’s for real but I’ve seen articles claiming Magic Johnson and James Worthy as saying Michael Cooper is in
https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...l-hall-of-fame
Unless its a late April Fools' day joke, I think Cooper got in, even if it comes as a surprise to everyone else on this thread.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:29 PM
Dave

So the way I read it, basically everybody who was on the nominations list, got in.

Oh well. Guess this whole thread was an exercise in irrelevancy.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:02 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
So the way I read it, basically everybody who was on the nominations list, got in.

Oh well. Guess this whole thread was an exercise in irrelevancy.
Sometimes that seems like the standard, lol.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:18 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

duplicate.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-08-2024 at 08:19 AM.