NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Richard Simon

Default Where are you going on vacation this year?

My wife and I love to travel and have seen a lot of the USA and a number of foreign countries.
One of our dream trips has been Alaska and that is where we are heading in July. 10 days to see Anchorage, Prince William Sound, Denali Natl Park and Seward where you venture out to see the Kenai Fjords National Park and take a number of boating trips and whale watching.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
$teve O.

We are going to the Jersy shore,Sea Isle.We'll also hit Ocean City and Wildwood.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

No money to travel far so we'll be spending time at our summer place just north of a little village in upstate NY named after Judge Cooper.
Hoping our boat will run this year. Love to get out on the lake.

Last edited by bigtrain; 06-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We are thinking about driving to New York from Texas. We enjoy the journey as much as the destination. I would like to see Burdick's collection at the Met. I know you have to have an appt but think it would be cool to see.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Jeff

Skipping a biggie this year bc I am going to Scotland for ten days to play golf next June. Am managing to work in the annual trip to the National.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Richard, you will love Alaska. I went there (in July as well) a few years ago. Make sure you take a jacket, you'll still need it even in July.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Honduras for a dive trip, counting the days.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Richard, you will love Alaska. I went there (in July as well) a few years ago. Make sure you take a jacket, you'll still need it even in July.

Thanks for the tip David, everything I have read on the internet says to dress in layers there, so I am prepared for a little cool weather.
But as long as I have my camera with me I am good to go.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Mikeknapp

Off to Cancun for 10 days in August followed by a 3 game series watching Los Dawyers before heading back home to the rain.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Skipping a biggie this year bc I am going to Scotland for ten days to play golf next June. Am managing to work in the annual trip to the National.
That's my dream trip. I would love to play St. Andrews.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I am not a golfer , I follow Mark Twain when it comes to golf (good walk spoiled) but Scotland is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. I was in London for a two week vacation about 10 years ago and my one regret was that I did not get over to Scotland.
--
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
My dream golf trip would be to Ireland and unfortunately missed out last June when my brother went for about 10 days and he was already planning his next trip there before he got back. He did share some photos and they were beautiful. Here is one of Royal County Down.

Jeff, you might look in to an Ireland trip some time.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 AM
$teve O.

I don't play golf,but that looks incredible!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Ball's Pyramid

Ball's Pyramid is on my bucket list. My favorite place is home sweet home, which is where I'll be this summer. Aloha, Dave.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Rawn Hill

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/1218011

Come on up to Maine. Cheap Lobster.

Rawn

Last edited by carrigansghost; 07-02-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

This year my son and daughter are running their first marathons, in Baltimore, and I'll be pacing them. Could be the greatest vacation ever.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM

We went to Tybee Island Georgia this year over Spring Break, and it was beautiful and fun.

http://tybeeisland.com/

Next year, I don't know, I was thinking of Door County, Wisconsin, has anybody been there in July?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post

Wow!! were you ever right.
What a great and beautiful place, I just loved it.
--
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
That's my dream trip. I would love to play St. Andrews.
I"m not a golfer either, but there are a couple of times I've been near golf courses that were so incredible I wished I did play. The first time was St. Andrews in Scotland, the 2nd time was Princeville in Kauai.

About 20 years ago I spent a good part of a summer photographing the Bel Air Country Club for a coffee table book. It ranks pretty highly up there as well, an incredible property in the midst of the city.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM

I may be going to Madrid this fall. I happen to know a couple that lives there and was invited. She's Spanish and he's British.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I may be going to Madrid this fall. I happen to know a couple that lives there and was invited. She's Spanish and he's British.
I am envious. I spent a couple of years there in boarding school while a teenager. I loved it. The Prado is amazing and Plaza de Toros is a must.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Just got back from a dive trip in Jamaica, it was gorgeous!!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
My wife and I have been there several times and really enjoy Spain. If you have time, a day trip to Segovia, Avila or Toledo would be worth it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Jon Canfield

Just booked Antarctica for December. I'm pretty excited as it completes the 7 continents for me. I also was able to get onto an expedition so I get to actually camp on the ice (as opposed to sleeping back on the ship).
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Just booked Antarctica for December. I'm pretty excited as it completes the 7 continents for me. I also was able to get onto an expedition so I get to actually camp on the ice (as opposed to sleeping back on the ship).
That's awesome. Is that one of those National Geographic trips?

I looked into those and it's sort of on my bucket list, but I don't think I'd survive the boat trip on that tiny ship. Sea sickness being a curse of mine.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Exotic!

Guys you've listed some awesome, exotic locations!
I hope this thread continues after your safe journeys home so you can all add a photo or two (Jon's shutter finger may be frozen)

My own vacation will start in in 8 days, going to the very exotic climes of northern Washington state.
Not too many miles since I live in SW Washington not far from Mt St Helens, but its always great to get more intimate with my adopted home state.

Be well...and safe

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

I looked into those and it's sort of on my bucket list, but I don't think I'd survive the boat trip on that tiny ship. Sea sickness being a curse of mine.
I'm actually going with Quark, but then got onto a Kazak research trip for the camping. Not looking forward to the 2-days across the Drake, but I usually do well with that sort of stuff (hopefully my bunk mate does as well).
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I'm actually going with Quark, but then got onto a Kazak research trip for the camping. Not looking forward to the 2-days across the Drake, but I usually do well with that sort of stuff (hopefully my bunk mate does as well).

Good luck. Sounds like a grand adventure. Are you going out of Argentina?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Good luck. Sounds like a grand adventure. Are you going out of Argentina?
You got it... Leaving out of Ushuaia. I'll do a quick stop over in BA to visit a friend, but don't plan on spending more than a day there as I've been there in the past.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Richard Simon

Alaska pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-Alaska Trip Seward 437.jpg (76.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 7-Alaska Trip Seward 226.jpg (77.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 7-Alaska Trip Seward 428.jpg (77.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 7-Alaska Trip Whale Watch Small Boat 255.jpg (76.9 KB, 35 views)
--
Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Sorta tying in with the traveling, I just started this project for the wall in my office. It's a good motivator when I'm buried in paperwork. 24"x 36" map, along with a few hundred pictures I've taken on various trips. Still a work in progress, have a hundred or so more images to trim and stick up there.

Last edited by Griffins; 08-19-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Jon Canfield

That's awesome!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Richard Simon

Very cool !!
--
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

You probably have tried this, but my wife used Bonine for her seasickness, and on this Alaska trip, which included being on the water 4 different times, she was ok.
--