NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default To Restore, or not to Restore.. that is the question

I have a Babe Ruth Pro Model Hanna Batrite Circa 1930-1934. Has a Crack running from 12 inches above the handle to under the bat logo. When squeezed, the crack nearly disappears.

I've heard about restoration of bats both professionally and non. Just curious to get collectors takes on this.. how expensive if done professionally? Should I attempt on my own? Does this diminish value?

Weight is at Ruth's specs, so should I just leave it?

I'm a newby here and hoping for some advice!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM

I don't know what there is to gain from restoring it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM
T0dd M@rcum

If you're going to use it, I would definitely restore it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:29 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyscards View Post
I have a Babe Ruth Pro Model Hanna Batrite Circa 1930-1934. Has a Crack running from 12 inches above the handle to under the bat logo. When squeezed, the crack nearly disappears.

I've heard about restoration of bats both professionally and non. Just curious to get collectors takes on this.. how expensive if done professionally? Should I attempt on my own? Does this diminish value?

Weight is at Ruth's specs, so should I just leave it?

I'm a newby here and hoping for some advice!
These are very reasonable questions. I hope that someone who knows about restorations will respond to them.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

If you decide you want to repair it, let me know - as long as you don't have to remove wood (cracks where one piece is popped out over another) to get it back together, repair is simple. Cylindrical wooden objects like bats lend themselves well to zip-tie repairs, because you can clamp, then slide the zip-ties up to thicker areas to get them super-tight.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:42 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here is my personal opinion (on whether or not to do it...)

If the Bat is purportedly game-used, leave it alone. You want it to be just as it was when it left Ruth's hands. If The Babe potentially cracked it, leave it alone! The Bat has tremendous significance and tells a story.

If the Bat is more for show (and is a "game model" as opposed to game-used) then I would repair it. It will look a lot nicer, and will be more presentable. It should turn out to a near "invisible" repair. If Scott doesn't do the work, then I can provide the name of another fellow who is nothing short of a magician. Not positive whether he has retired, but if still active, I believe he's the best.

Good luck either way!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Matt

Are you referring to the bat that was recently on eBay ?

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Default bat restoration

If you plan on keeping it and are happy with it as is....leave it alone......if you plan on selling it sometime in the future, John Taube has a person who is unbelievable......but there is probably a wait time but worth it.....I once had a Tony Lazzeri game bat that was found in a downstairs basement where water had leaked on it for years and a 10 inch piece of wood missing off the backside.....the bat was restored (took one year start to finish to dry out to the proper weight/ad a matching piece to the backside even matching the grain lines of the bat) and it turned out beautiful! I think this person probably restores antique furniture or something..In my mind, he is the best.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here is my personal opinion (on whether or not to do it...)

If the Bat is purportedly game-used, leave it alone. You want it to be just as it was when it left Ruth's hands. If The Babe potentially cracked it, leave it alone! The Bat has tremendous significance and tells a story.

If the Bat is more for show (and is a "game model" as opposed to game-used) then I would repair it. It will look a lot nicer, and will be more presentable. It should turn out to a near "invisible" repair. If Scott doesn't do the work, then I can provide the name of another fellow who is nothing short of a magician. Not positive whether he has retired, but if still active, I believe he's the best.

Good luck either way!
Mark, I do not do bat repair, but I personally can't afford to pay someone to make a simple repair that I can do myself, so I am offering repair advice.

Some people cannot do simple repairs, but hopefully they are self-aware enough to know that. The way the OP describes it, sending it off to a professional to repair would be akin to sending a photo to someone to glue it into a scrapbook. This sounds very elementary.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Brad Pencil

Here is the listing from eBay that was referenced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pat-1930-BA...8AAOSwCtJaEJ7t
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks for posting that link - it changes things considerably. The only bats I have repaired were in the 'less than $500' value range and were store models.

Advice I have received in this forum has been to not repair cracked gamers. I have three cracked gamers and have gotten used to looking at the nasty cracks. I almost always repair store model bats that are trashed, but I also only buy them because they are trashed and I enjoy doing the repair work.

Yours has been cracked for 90 years presumably, so what's the hurry unless you feel it is unsightly? If repairing to increase value, you probably won't be. If you plan on it being a permanent part of your collection, then do whatever you want, but if I thought Ruth cracked a bat, I would prefer to keep the crack.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Bry@n

Huge +1 to that Scott. Unless there is some danger that it will fall apart I would leave it as it is.

I was watching this bat too. I don't own any bats and don't know much about them but want a single Batrite with the bat logo for my collection. What are people's thoughts on the bat itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
... if I thought Ruth cracked a bat, I would prefer to keep the crack.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Thank you

great insight!!! It will never be proven that Ruth used this bat.. Hanna bats are the same in both the Pro Model and Store model...

But the bat has value to it.. I plan to keep it unless some crazy offer comes up. This will be a showcase piece in my basement with my other Ruth stuff. I bought it with the purpose to display.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

In that case I would recommend gluing it. But at that value I would send it out unless you are sure you could do a perfect job.