NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default TTM newbie question

I am just starting to do through the mail autos for fun. I have gotten back a few so far and have enjoyed it. So far the majority of what I have sent have been cards but I have done a couple of baseballs and gotten them back (Bobby Doerr and Minie Minoso).

My question is does any one have any good advice on how the best way to send a ball with a SASE? I mean in the area of packaging expecially without have to make a special trip to the post office and stand in line. That is what I've done so far but it is not convienient considering the distance from my home and work.

Any tips or advice on this or anything else on TTM auto would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I use paypal to print my own labels to send it to the player. Use a small box, figure out the weight, buy some prepaid stamps (our PO has a "mail-it-yourself" machine that'll print out whatever denomination), enclose a name tag with my return address on it, and put it in my box for the mailman.

The one I just sent needed $2.80 for return, that depends on the size of the box. I include a pen, which is a problem if you use a 4x4x4 box, the best small size, because I have to snip off the back end of the pen. (put the pen and ball in separate baggies, one pen let loose on me once.)

I used to use a bubble mailer, and never had a problem with that method, either, except you can't re-use them. That way you can use a larger one to ship to the player, and have the ball ready in a pre-addressed, pre-stamped smaller one for return.

Often, since so many of the players I've written to have signed for free, I'll make a donation to a worthy cause, photo-copy the check, and send it as a thank you to the players.

Ken

PS: Warning: once you start this, you cannot stop. The thrill of going to the mailbox is highly addictive. I like the more obscure players, the ones with really cool stories, so I started reading more about baseball history and sending out tons of auto requests (I'd send a request first, with a return postcard.) If you don't have Jack Smalling's address book, it'd make a great after-Christmas present to yourself. I'd estimate about 400 of my baseballs are through the mail.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Drew! Had that same question when I first started out and without a doubt the easiest way for both you and the athlete is BUBBLE MAILERS. Enclose a bubble mailer where all they have to do is peel the flap and seal it. Just got Josh Hamilton back on Saturday!

Best of luck with your TTM endeavors!

Take care,
Matt
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
PS: Warning: once you start this, you cannot stop. The thrill of going to the mailbox is highly addictive.
Thanks Ken! I just read this to my wife and now she thinks you and I are the only crazy people in this world
Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Thanks Ken! I just read this to my wife and now she thinks you and I are the only crazy people in this world
Assure her, that this is not the case.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

My wife keeps looking at me oddly and saying "You told me you're not an autograph collector". I keep telling her I'm not this is just a samll thing but my obsession is slowly taking over.
I start to panic if the mailman is 10 minutes later than normal.
Drew
Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Shale Levine

Default Where can I get players addresses

I have never asked for an autograph in the mail. Where can I get a list of players who sign and their addresses.

Happy Holidays to all,
I love this site.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
I have never asked for an autograph in the mail. Where can I get a list of players who sign and their addresses.

Happy Holidays to all,
I love this site.
I have been using sportscardforum.com Go to the TTM Manager tab and you should be able to navigate from there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Drew