NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Shale Levine

Default Is this a fake Walter Johnson.

coa by Authentic Autographs Unlimited signed by Drew Max of Pawn Stars.
I have to believe it is not real, whats your opinion on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter johonson.jpg (78.5 KB, 274 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Scott

That actually looks pretty solid to me. Does Dru get every one wrong?
Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 AM

Shale,
Do you have any clue as to when this postcard was allegedly signed?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Shale Levine

The seller shows the postcard dated and stamped on the back at 1909 but that doesn't mean that was signed then. I have doubts this is real.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
The seller shows the postcard dated and stamped on the back at 1909 but that doesn't mean that was signed then. I have doubts this is real.
I have doubts about it being real as well. There are some inconsistentcies in this sig that I do not see in my exemplars. It should also be noted that vintage postcards seem to be the common medium being used by forgers these days. This is absolutely not Walter's signature from 1909, FWIW.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Richard Simon

I usually have differing opinions with the TV star and I have a differing opinion on this one too.
The upward tilting of the Johnson () is harsh and obvious. The slow handwriting is obvious.
Hank Thomas are you there?
Shame to ruin a nice picture on a vintage postcard.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-20-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Be afraid...

....be very afraid. Here's another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walter-Johns...item53ece62168

It didn't sell, so of course he did what anyone would do with an item that didn't attract a bid, he relisted it with a doubled minimum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=251063342854

You'd think they'd at least be smart enough to float one of these at a time, but then who said crooks are smart?

The autographs themselves are scary good, all the more reason to be really careful who you buy from. Few collectors are in a position to try to decide whether these are genuine Johnsons or not. That's why you want a Keating (my pal, for full disclosure), Simon, Corcoran, Albersheim, etc, to give their blessing first. The two big guys know their stuff, too, but I'd feel better knowing that one of the well-regarded "little guys" has actually judged it for himself rather than an employee. One big red flag for me is always a generic item from the right time period, like these, instead of a baseball item. I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I have doubts about it being real as well. There are some inconsistentcies in this sig that I do not see in my exemplars. It should also be noted that vintage postcards seem to be the common medium being used by forgers these days. This is absolutely not Walter's signature from 1909, FWIW.
As Dave would say from Storage Wars on if he thinks this is NOT real, the answer in "YUUUUUUUP"
Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Shale Levine

Default someone got taken

Here is the final sale of this item, It sold for $487.00. To bad, someone got taken.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251061505314...ht_2143wt_1271
Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

My general rule of thumb regarding postcards and GPC's - If they are unused other than the autograph, or (if they are a picture postcard) have the sig on the front with either no writing on the back or unrelated writing from someone else, then the chances are good that the sig is bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

You know, it's really a shame that Drew Max is touted as an expert on a popular show like 'Pawn Stars' and that fact can be used in these types of listings. I would imagine the uneducated buyer recognizing his name and thinking the auto's good.

Has anyone ever reached out to Pawn Stars regarding Drew's shaky 'opinions'?

I have seen him say items were no good on the show once in a while (IIRC it was a Steve McQueen signed poster). Does he do a 'better' job on TV and a shoddy one off?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
You know, it's really a shame that Drew Max is touted as an expert on a popular show like 'Pawn Stars' and that fact can be used in these types of listings. I would imagine the uneducated buyer recognizing his name and thinking the auto's good.

Has anyone ever reached out to Pawn Stars regarding Drew's shaky 'opinions'?

I have seen him say items were no good on the show once in a while (IIRC it was a Steve McQueen signed poster). Does he do a 'better' job on TV and a shoddy one off?
Below is a link to my Drew Max Letter To Clergy blog that I wrote last October.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/pr...to-clergy-pawn
Old 05-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Shale Levine

Default ebay pulled the item after it was sold.

So I see ebay wised up and pulled this item off the sold and sent emails to anyone who bid not to buy off ebay on this.