NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Dave

Default Mantle opinion please

thank you very much
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Fake.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Paulanthony

No good. 1 and 3 are good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle is this real.jpg (72.7 KB, 271 views)
Old 12-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I can give you one piece of advice. If you see a Petronella print stay far far away.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Dave

thanks to all--It came with a Goldin Scoreboard cert, which yeah I know. I am far far from an expert, and continue to learn from the board
thanks again
Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Richard Simon

The question is are there more fake Mantle autographs or more fake Scoreboard certs in the hobby?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I can give you one piece of advice. If you see a Petronella print stay far far away.
I've never seen a legit Ripken signature on a Petronella print
Old 12-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The question is are there more fake Mantle autographs or more fake Scoreboard certs in the hobby?
Even if it has a "real Scoreboard cert" it doesnt make it real. I know a large percentage of their stuff was real but I would not be surprised if they mixed some fakes in back in the day (maybe unintentionally).
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Don Hontz

Default Mantle Auto Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulanthony View Post
No good. 1 and 3 are good
You guys are really good---the 2nd Mantle looks close to the first Mantle--I know the last e is different and the 1st M is a bit different---but when Mantle was signing 500 autos a day, dont u think his signature would vary abit---plus he maybe he had a few sips on his break---but this forum is the right place to ask questions like this on signatures---Great Job guys.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
You guys are really good---the 2nd Mantle looks close to the first Mantle--I know the last e is different and the 1st M is a bit different...
You are just looking at "shape", which is relatively close. But on close exam, the second exemplar (a common forgery style) is slowly drawn, whereas the first is quickly and smoothly executed.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Richard Simon

The stupidest seller I ever met once offered me a Babe Ruth autograph that had a Scoreboard COA with it. The sellers don't get any dumber then that.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
You guys are really good---the 2nd Mantle looks close to the first Mantle--I know the last e is different and the 1st M is a bit different---but when Mantle was signing 500 autos a day, dont u think his signature would vary abit---plus he maybe he had a few sips on his break---but this forum is the right place to ask questions like this on signatures---Great Job guys.
I think it is also important to note that this print is a commonly forged medium as Shelly alluded too.
Always accepting quality consignments

Last edited by Wymers Auction; 12-28-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I think it is also important to note that this print is a commonly forged medium as Shelly eluded too.
James,

Do not want to be picayune, but the correct word is 'alluded' which means suggested or implied. Eluded means escaped or avoided such as 'The fact that this signature was a forgery eluded the experts at JSA and PSA/DNA.' I am married to an editor and I edit scholarly articles for a good friend.

The second part is just an example for humor. I have no dog in the TPA discussion. All of their employees combined don't have the knowledge I have in Olympic signatures which is my sole area of advanced knowledge or 'expertise' if you will. Not ego, just truth.

Cheers and Feliz Año Nuevo

Michael
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Perry Lin

Quote:
The "y" is the giveaway. It doesn't show the swiftness of a real Mantle.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Ken Goldin

Default Mantle auto

Hello All
Dave the OP from this board emailed me privately on Christmas and i replied. He asked if i would look at a Mantle AND a Dimaggio, BOTH with Score Board certs. I told him to scan the front and back of each photo, and front and back of each cert.
after reviewing the scans I told him both autographs were fake, AND both certificates were counterfeit. I have not posted in a long while, but if anyone ever has a question on an item purported to be from score board always feel free to email me images of the items, and images of the cert. if sending a photo show me front and back (yes the blankk back) and front and back (yes the blank back) of the cert so i can answer accurately. I will remind everyone as well as inform anyone new that Score Board certs have been counterfeited by several different sources since the company went out of business in 1998, and just because it comes with a SB cert, does NOT mean it is an SB item and does NOT mean it is even a real cert.
I will also state, my personal advice would be never buy a petronalla art item purported to be signed by a player. I forwarded the email thread to an EBAY 'patroller' as it was apparently purchased off a new site called 'LISTIA' which i can only assume will have to be looked at for fakes for now on.
good luck
Ken Goldin ken@goldinauctions.com
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Ken Goldin

BTW, while on the subject of Mantle. Mantle and Dimaggio were the BEST for me as far as consistency went. Dimaggio signed 1600 items a month, Mantle signed about 1500 a month. each for 2 or more years per the contract. If shown all 1500-1600 items they signed in any given monthly session, i truly would not be able to pick out the first signed, the 500th, or the 1600th. Both were the model of neatness, and consistency

Last edited by kengoldin; 12-26-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
Hello All
Dave the OP from this board emailed me privately on Christmas and i replied. He asked if i would look at a Mantle AND a Dimaggio, BOTH with Score Board certs. I told him to scan the front and back of each photo, and front and back of each cert.
after reviewing the scans I told him both autographs were fake, AND both certificates were counterfeit. I have not posted in a long while, but if anyone ever has a question on an item purported to be from score board always feel free to email me images of the items, and images of the cert. if sending a photo show me front and back (yes the blankk back) and front and back (yes the blank back) of the cert so i can answer accurately. I will remind everyone as well as inform anyone new that Score Board certs have been counterfeited by several different sources since the company went out of business in 1998, and just because it comes with a SB cert, does NOT mean it is an SB item and does NOT mean it is even a real cert.
I will also state, my personal advice would be never buy a petronalla art item purported to be signed by a player. I forwarded the email thread to an EBAY 'patroller' as it was apparently purchased off a new site called 'LISTIA' which i can only assume will have to be looked at for fakes for now on.
good luck
Ken Goldin ken@goldinauctions.com
Ken, I really appreciate your agreeing with what I said about the prints.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Ken Goldin

you are correct in your assessment Shelly, but i am sure you knew that!
and for the record, Mantle never signed a SINGLE (not one) Petronella print as part of his contract with Score Board.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
James,

Do not want to be picayune, but the correct word is 'alluded' which means suggested or implied. Eluded means escaped or avoided such as 'The fact that this signature was a forgery eluded the experts at JSA and PSA/DNA.' I am married to an editor and I edit scholarly articles for a good friend.

The second part is just an example for humor. I have no dog in the TPA discussion. All of their employees combined don't have the knowledge I have in Olympic signatures which is my sole area of advanced knowledge or 'expertise' if you will. Not ego, just truth.

Cheers and Feliz Año Nuevo

Michael
I stand corrected and I thank you for the help and I mean that.
Always accepting quality consignments