NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Early Ted Williams Signature....???

Hey guys,

I recently picked up this Red Sox signed album page from 1947-48 season...The Ted Williams signature looks very nice and was wondering if you guys could help me identify if it is in fact, an early (47-48) Ted signature or was signed at a later time....Below are the photos, along with the comparison of the Ted Williams signatures from Ron's book...It has minor characteristics of nearly all of the examples Ron used....

Thanks again,

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soxalbum.JPG (21.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg soxalbum1.JPG (29.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg ted1.jpg (75.0 KB, 178 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would say not authentic.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Looks like a rubber stamp on an album page which is weird, can you post a better picture of the Williams from a scanner? Sometimes kids would give the entire album to a player or clubhouse attendant and they would take it into the clubhouse and get the signatures then bring it back so someone could have borrowed Ted's stamp I guess.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Looks like a rubber stamp on an album page which is weird, can you post a better picture of the Williams from a scanner? Sometimes kids would give the entire album to a player or clubhouse attendant and they would take it into the clubhouse and get the signatures then bring it back so someone could have borrowed Ted's stamp I guess.
I initially thought a stamp too, but it looks like a fountain pen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ted1.jpg (35.8 KB, 173 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Last edited by jgmp123; 01-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default better photo.....

a better photo of the signature up close...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teddd.jpg (5.2 KB, 172 views)

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
David Linardy

Default Teddy ballgame

I had this one on watch on ebay but passed on it. The fact that all other sigs were in the same ink and the Williams looked to be stamped...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

I would also concur that it looks like a stamp. The letter size related to others throws me a off a little as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Stinson is the man for early Teddy autographs. Looks like a stamp to me but what do I know. I'm sure Jim will chime in...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Here are two early signatures on the same item (photo and folder), photo dated 1946 on the back.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Here is an early photo from Hunt Auction

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...=505&lot_qual=

I am still saying no. The other autograph or stamp is just to neat.

Last edited by shelly; 01-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Richard Simon

The Williams appears to have multiple breaks in the ink, a sign of a rubber stamp.
If you could look at it under a loop you can tell for sure.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Thanks guys...still a nice item, but I emailed the seller And he has agreed to refund my purchase. He is a power seller with over 2400 positive feedback and a 100% rating...so I'd hope it won't be relisted without the stamp details.

Once again, this showcases the class and knowledge that the contributors to the forum offer.

Thanks again guys!!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Anyone know of any value for this sheet with the stamp? He's offered it to me at a reduced price of $35? It does have Cronin which is a plus...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

If the other autographs are genuine, $35 sounds like a decent price.