NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM
John

Default Modern Vintage Cards

I know the subject is a contradiction, but I was wondering if anyone dabbles in these at all? I actually put together the entire set of 2011 Topps 1950 Bowman. I thought it would be a cool tribute to a set I really like and it was really cheap - I bid on lots and then bought the last 10 or so from COMC to finish.

Here is a video of some 2009 National Chicle cards being opened. I thought the guys were pretty knowledgable and had fun with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwO-kUUP8E4

I would call this, the throwback/tribute genre. Another type is when cards of historic players are printed in modern times. I actually picked up an entire set of ENOR HOF cards in an album from eBay a while back - it was really cheap and the seller was friendly - included the album.

Here is one I really like as its up my ally (cards of forgotten or at least neglected stars):

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...e.aspx?sc=1014

Has anyone seen these? I have no idea what company even printed these and the collector who owns the set is the only collector on the registry.

Finally, I guess reprint sets would fall into this category, but those I don't like or at least I think they have to be done in a way that it would be completely obvious if someone tried to sell one as an original on eBay....

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-17-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Jeff P

Hey John,

Great thread idea! I'd throw into this category any card of a player that was produced after their playing days were over. 1955 Topps would probably be the exception as those cards are considered official rookie cards even if other cards from their playing days are available.

Re: Pottsville Cards. They were produced by Russ Zacko who was the son of the Sporting Goods Store owner (Joe Zacko) that outfitted the Maroons and was the driving force from the 1960s - 1970s to reinstate Pottsville's NFL Championship. They were produced and sold to help fund the on-going fight against the NFL.

The reason why you don't see more sets of these in the registry is not that they are rare but instead aren't worth much. The grading costs to grade this set are much higher than the value of the set. The set can be picked up for much less than $100. I picked up quite a bit of stuff from Zacko's estate and probably have 10 of these sets including some in their original envelope. Here is a photo of the envelope they came in originally.

Hope this helps.

jeff
Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM
John

Awesome! Thanks for the info on the Maroons cards - that makes sense about the grading cost - I figured cards from 1977 aren't valuable, but I think they're really cool. Beyond the players, I like the one with the offensive formations - single wing and short punt.

Good point about 55 AA - I think we may have discussed that before. I'm pretty sure some collectors don't like the idea of a rookie card issued after a player retired....
Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Jeff P

A definition for a rookie card you see thrown around a lot looks like:

"The first card produced of a player or athlete that is a part of a nationally distributed, fully licensed sports card set"

but that's where the debate begins. For pre-war sets, it's difficult to determine how widely they were distributed and officially licensed.

For the most part I believe the grading companies and card manufacturers try to designate cards that most benefit them as the "rookie" card of a player. That's probably why the Topps AA cards are designated as rookie cards when some of them are definitely not.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-18-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM
John

That makes sense - maybe we need another discussion... something like rookie cards that are "debatable"..... In the pre war thread we saw some nice options for Red Grange and Ken Strong, but I don't recall seeing other options for Don Hutson or Mel Hein......

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-18-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Jeff P

Some cards definitely don't have good alternatives before Topps AA. Others depend upon your definition of a "card". I personally consider anything made of cardboard to be relevant but others don't agree.

Hutson has a 1936 Wheaties box cut that is very popular (and expensive!)

Hein has a 1933 Diamond Matchbook cover that is also worth some $$$ and is very nice.

jeff
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM
John

Thanks Jeff - can you show the Hutson either here or in the pre war thread? The matchbooks had a lot of card-like characteristics. I would say the player bios are above average esp. for the time period which you wouldn't expect for that medium.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Jeff P

My bad. It's a 1935 Wheaties of Don Hutson, not 1936.

Picture1.jpg

jeff
Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I haven't bought any new cards since 1992 (put together a Topps baseball set from packs). For some weird reason I enjoy watching those videos of "box" and "case" breaks. Our local card shop holds "box" breaks too, but I've never participated.
Larry
Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 AM
John

Thanks Jeff, I've never seen that. Wow!

Larry, the only sets I ever put together from packs were 81 and 82 baseball and 84 football - I don't think I've bought a pack since the 80s. I like watching the case breaks too! I think it's one thing for 2009 cards though, spending money on something old/vintage to open it and risking not getting anything out of it, I don't think is for me.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Thanks Jeff, I've never seen that. Wow!

Larry, the only sets I ever put together from packs were 81 and 82 baseball and 84 football - I don't think I've bought a pack since the 80s. I like watching the case breaks too! I think it's one thing for 2009 cards though, spending money on something old/vintage to open it and risking not getting anything out of it, I don't think is for me.
There's an article coming out in the next issue of Gridiron Greats Magazine on the Wheaties cards so check it out! For anyone on here that doesn't subscribe, the magazine is definitely worth the price as its the go to magazine for info on football cards and memorabilia.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-22-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Very nice Jeff. Do you have any more information on this set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
My bad. It's a 1935 Wheaties of Don Hutson, not 1936.

Attachment 183345

jeff
Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Very nice Jeff. Do you have any more information on this set?
As eluded to above, Joe and I recently wrote an article on '30s Wheaties cards for Gridiron Greats Magazine. Please check it out and give us some feedback.

jeff
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I haven't bought any new cards since 1992 (put together a Topps baseball set from packs). For some weird reason I enjoy watching those videos of "box" and "case" breaks. Our local card shop holds "box" breaks too, but I've never participated.
Larry
I like watching these as well, Larry! Kinda like watching Lotto on TV. They used to show the drawing every night right at 7pm when I was a kid.

My point is that these are very entertaining to watch but I never participate in them. I despise the "gambling" aspect of our hobby ... box breaks, purchasing boxes in the hopes of getting a 1/1, etc. I do not believe this type of activity is in the best interest of our hobby as it attracts an element that is here only to gamble instead of collect. I've seen too many people come into card shops, plop down their pay check, open a lot of packs, and then sit there with their head in their hands because they got nothing of value. Exactly how does that help our hobby?

Call me crazy but I like collectors, not gamblers.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-22-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 PM
shawn

I dunno if these fit the category.. I can't remember how I ended up with these sets and the reprints back in the 80's. They may be pretty common. I used to get some variety packs I think may have had these in them or a mail in offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150410_225650.jpg (70.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150410_225714.jpg (72.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by sockwell123; 04-10-2015 at 10:27 PM.