NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Default Who the hell is Joseph Sperling/East Coast Authenticators?

Is this a real person who was or is involved in the hobby? Never heard of him and can't find any proof he exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Coach's Corner Sports Auctions (http://www.myccsa.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=sperling) has 133 signed baseballs this month and the are the typical comical fodder and look like they haven't aged a day!

Looks like Halper stuff (and Doherty, Mel Allen, Case etc.).

Don't they look so pretty all lined up as such? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 506474.jpg (43.4 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg 506465.jpg (44.6 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg 506461.jpg (48.7 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg 506460.jpg (45.3 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg 506459.jpg (44.6 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 506457.jpg (46.3 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg 506456.jpg (48.6 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg 506447.jpg (52.1 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg 506441.jpg (45.4 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg 506424.jpg (46.7 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg 506374.jpg (52.5 KB, 769 views)
Old 09-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Richard Simon

OMG,,,,, this is the bestest auction yet. The bestest and the huuuuugist auction yet. It is better then any other auction ever,,, bestest and huuuuugist.

I never heard of this latest CC name. There is no business website listed on Google for that business name and the Joseph Sperling name has some interesting results .
Could be they put a bunch of first names in one hat and a bunch of last names in another hat and poof,,, a new authenticator is born.
Those baseballs are just disgusting, just disgusting. It is amazing how snow white balls have survived 100 years and are still snow white and signed in the same flair tip pen. OMG.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-02-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Steve Zarelli

Are they even trying anymore? What's up with the odd scuffing on all the blazing white balls?

Maybe they are setting the stage for a defense that it was all satirical and any reasonable consumer would not take it seriously.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Looks like they sanded off modern logos from cheap balls and covered the scratch out with whiteout.

It's almost nice seeing autographs even I can tell at a glance are fake. Almost.......

Steve B
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 PM
ThreadKiller

Default sticker shock...

LOA fine print =

DS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullshit.jpg (52.8 KB, 744 views)

Last edited by FourStrikes; 09-02-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Scott Malack Lee Trythall Coach's Corner Auction Forgeries

The only people who bid on that crap are morons and scammers.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:25 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Even the forgers that try to do a good job should be upset with these amateurish and horrific examples. These examples give forgery a bad name .
Old 09-02-2016, 04:38 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Wow,

They really aren't even trying to make anything seem legit. The absurdity of these fakes has reached a new peak!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

This is too much now. How can they let this crap be sold on a legit site?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
This is too much now. How can they let this crap be sold on a legit site?

I didnt see that its NOT on ebay. They have their own crap website I guess. They are so bad its comical
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBaseballCollector View Post
Is this a real person who was or is involved in the hobby? Never heard of him and can't find any proof he exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Coach's Corner Sports Auctions (http://www.myccsa.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=sperling) has 133 signed baseballs this month and the are the typical comical fodder and look like they haven't aged a day!

Looks like Halper stuff (and Doherty, Mel Allen, Case etc.).

Don't they look so pretty all lined up as such? :-)

Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
I didnt see that its NOT on ebay. They have their own crap website I guess. They are so bad its comical

Coach's Corner Auctions (Scott Malack & Lee Trythall) have sold millions in forgeries over the past twenty-plus years.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:46 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Think of how much money they have made peddling this garbage . It is
obscene !!!.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM
keith janosky

I always figured coachs corner was like ebay in the same way ebay never gets sued or busted by the feds cause ebay is like the middle man between the buyer and seller and if something is fake they aren't responsible otherwise with all the fake stuff on ebay they would be shut down. Coachs Corner does the same they play stupid like ebay and claim if something is fake it's not there fault it's between the consignor and buyer and don't take responsibility like ebay. Why do you think they have last 20 years or more with absolutely never being in trouble or shut down. Other people get busted for fake stuff and go to jail and these clowns keep right on making money.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Are they even trying anymore? What's up with the odd scuffing on all the blazing white balls?

Maybe they are setting the stage for a defense that it was all satirical and any reasonable consumer would not take it seriously.
The Tony defense,,, it is all decorative. Throw the authenticator out with the bath water.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I always figured coachs corner was like ebay in the same way ebay never gets sued or busted by the feds cause ebay is like the middle man between the buyer and seller and if something is fake they aren't responsible otherwise with all the fake stuff on ebay they would be shut down. Coachs Corner does the same they play stupid like ebay and claim if something is fake it's not there fault it's between the consignor and buyer and don't take responsibility like ebay. Why do you think they have last 20 years or more with absolutely never being in trouble or shut down. Other people get busted for fake stuff and go to jail and these clowns keep right on making money.
But if you could only see the books of CC, that would show the same 2 or 3 consignors being paid over and over. It is not like the forgers grow on trees, though sometimes it does seem that way. The same forgers are supplying CC for years.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-03-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsimon View Post
but if you could only see the books of cc, that would show the same 2 or 3 consignors being paid over and over. It is not like the forgers grow on trees, though sometimes it does seem that way. The same forgers are supplying cc for years.
+1000
Old 09-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
But if you could only see the books of CC, that would show the same 2 or 3 consignors being paid over and over. It is not like the forgers grow on trees, though sometimes it does seem that way. The same forgers are supplying CC for years.
Agree.

I am not an attorney, but I'm pretty sure the "opinion or unknowing middleman defense" doesn't work when the result is a very long track record of counterfeit goods being trafficked nearly 100% of the time. If someone was completely incompetent and just tossing a coin or carelessly accepting of any consignment, they'd be right at least some of the time.

When you are wrong almost all the time, it's called "willful ignorance" and/or criminal conspiracy.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:23 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

John McGraw and Teddy Roosevelt died years before white out was invented
Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Paul

I'm not even a collector of autographs, but those definitely look fake to me. Worse than that, people are actually bidding on the listed items..
Old 09-04-2016, 10:31 AM
keith janosky

When you think about it these two clowns that own Coach's Corner have been running auctions for over 20 some years know full well what is fake and real with an autograph since there business is strickley sports auctions and they continue to rip off customers every auction without even putting a stop to it or cleaning there image and auctions up with real stuff. What is even more baffling is it continues to happen every month for years without even an investigation of some sort. When you see the great pictures of all these baseballs on here from the original post one right after another it's mind blowing that they don't get shut down. Even a person that doesn't collect autographs would question it by the way they all look the same.

Last edited by keithsky; 09-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Agree.

I am not an attorney, but I'm pretty sure the "opinion or unknowing middleman defense" doesn't work when the result is a very long track record of counterfeit goods being trafficked nearly 100% of the time. If someone was completely incompetent and just tossing a coin or carelessly accepting of any consignment, they'd be right at least some of the time.

When you are wrong almost all the time, it's called "willful ignorance" and/or criminal conspiracy.
substitute "HOF autos" with "statues of Mary made of cocaine" and I bet suddenly all would become clear for the Feds..... It's a damned tragedy and a shame these guys aren't in jail.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 09-04-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:26 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
substitute "HOF autos" with "statues of Mary made of cocaine" and I bet suddenly all would become clear for the Feds..... It's a damned tragedy and a shame these guys aren't in jail.
absurdly poetic...but undoubtedly true!

DS
Old 09-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
absurdly poetic...but undoubtedly true!

DS
well yeah it's a tad hyperbolic, but I don't see why selling illegal things suddenly becomes ok because it's fake autographs instead of gucci bags, ipads or religious figurines made of narcotics....
Old 09-04-2016, 01:46 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
well yeah it's a tad hyperbolic, but I don't see why selling illegal things suddenly becomes ok because it's fake autographs instead of gucci bags, ipads or religious figurines made of narcotics....
agreed...good point - well-stated, and also true re: the arbitrary nature of "importance"
Old 09-04-2016, 04:30 PM
keith janosky

I can't believe in 20 plus years in business that something hasn't triggered an investigation into these guys. Hell if they can shut down and investigate Mastro and Legendary auctions they surely can investigate and shut down Coaches Corner. Unbelievable that these guys are still around. Its pathetic
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I can't believe in 20 plus years in business that something hasn't triggered an investigation into these guys. Hell if they can shut down and investigate Mastro and Legendary auctions they surely can investigate and shut down Coaches Corner. Unbelievable that these guys are still around. Its pathetic
There has been. For whatever reason the one I am aware of was dropped.
Maybe there will be another one or two or three or four.
--
Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM

Default Holy S&&T!

I remember the one inch black and white scans in Sports Collectors Digest, but seeing this me sick to my stomach! I am a collector of Black Sox memorabilia and I actually hoped to buy Barry's lot of eight signed baseballs offered my Sotheby's (Mrs. Joe Jackson, Weaver, Gandil, Cicotte, Williams, Risberg, Felsch and McMillan) as they had a $15,000-20,000 estimate. I was hoping to get it for around $24,000 but the eight balls sold for over $54,000!Scan below from catalog. Knowing what we know now whether it was a great choice having been outbid and not gotten involved in the bidding frenzy I am not sure.

So I clicked at the link above and they actually had 10 single signed baseballs from that 1919 Blacksox team and I was stunned. Gandil sold for $25. Felsch for $100, Jackson sold for a whopping $316! I could have had all ten signed balls for under $1000! That's probably, what...$100,000-120,000 worth of autographs...for $1,000?

I checked this morning and they have more signed Blacksox balls with another Gandil and a Gleason signed softball and another Joe Jackson, all with LOA's from Joseph Sperling.

And to think people are in jail for shill bidding and this is allowed to continue for 20+ years...

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halper.jpg (27.3 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg BWeaver.jpg (14.5 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg Chic-Gandil-25.jpg (18.6 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg Eddie_Cicotte-50.jpg (19.3 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Eddie_Collins-48.jpg (19.9 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Fred_McMullin-34.jpg (20.9 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Hap_Felsch-100.jpg (19.5 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg Joe_Jackson-316.jpg (20.8 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Kid_Gleason-162.jpg (18.1 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Lefty_Williams-203.jpg (20.4 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Swede_Risberg-50.jpg (18.8 KB, 411 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Default Two more things...

Oh, in the new auction they included a scan of the LOA from Sperling and I found this amazing baseball glove signed my Presidents, all in two pens including JFK. Note the final price it sold for. Yup, nothing fishy about that either.

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WShang.jpg (37.3 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg glove.jpg (56.7 KB, 415 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Richard Simon

Wow!!! on that glove,,
I can tell you one thing,, those Black Sox balls,, you did not want to win them.
Johnny Fang specials, I am sure of that.
Much better quality forgeries though than CC crap. Johnny was/is an artist.
You were outbid by Charlie Sheen,,, I have no idea what happened to them after he won them.
He had just come off acting in Eight Men Out and was jazzed up about the Black Sox. Bad luck for him.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-07-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Kevin

I'll give them two bucks each so I have something for my dog to chase in the backyard
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
I'll give them two bucks each so I have something for my dog to chase in the backyard
You are overpaying.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-07-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Default New Jersey New Jersey New Jersey

Sperling seems to be 69 years old and lives in New Jersey which is where "these consignors" (ball artists?) live. I believe (thanks to one Net54 person sharing with me) that some of the letters were purchased on ebay to make some of these LOA's. Some of us know who these artists are. I have known for years. These guys want to get caught so whoever has authoritative power on this board to begin an investigation (or jump start it if there was one) because it's been going on for over 25 years (hasn't it been long enough?) How about you contact me?

If shill bidders get 20 months...these guys should get life.

Paul
Old 09-08-2016, 11:30 AM
keith janosky

They should bust them for mail fraud if not anything else for selling and shipping fake items across the country. Since they are fake it should be illegal Not sure if that is considered mail fraud but it sounds good and nothing else seems to work to bring them down.

Last edited by keithsky; 09-08-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscolgrafs View Post
Sperling seems to be 69 years old and lives in New Jersey which is where "these consignors" (ball artists?) live. I believe (thanks to one Net54 person sharing with me) that some of the letters were purchased on ebay to make some of these LOA's. Some of us know who these artists are. I have known for years. These guys want to get caught so whoever has authoritative power on this board to begin an investigation (or jump start it if there was one) because it's been going on for over 25 years (hasn't it been long enough?) How about you contact me?

If shill bidders get 20 months...these guys should get life.

Paul
Paul is right. Some of us know who these guys are. An investigation was begun. A knowledgeable US Atty was involved. A postal inspector was involved. Then it just ended. Leaving those involved very frustrated.
I keep hoping that another Fed investigation would get started. I keep hoping.
It is like hoping they would kill Osama Bin Laden, eventually it did happen.
--
Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Paul is right. Some of us know who these guys are. An investigation was begun. A knowledgeable US Atty was involved. A postal inspector was involved. Then it just ended. Leaving those involved very frustrated.
I keep hoping that another Fed investigation would get started. I keep hoping.
It is like hoping they would kill Osama Bin Laden, eventually it did happen.
I'm "hoping" that Santa Claus comes down the Chimney on Dec 25th
Old 09-09-2016, 08:05 AM
octavio ranzola

Smile

I know a joseph sperling he works at isle eight at home depot ,,,

Last edited by rjackson44; 09-09-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Was amused by the gall of these people... If all these players, presidents, dignitaries etc all actually touched the same marker these auto's were done with, what would that go for?

Also the address on the "cert" is a strip mall in South Jersey and the zip code is wrong...FWIW..
Old 03-01-2021, 09:50 PM

Guess they’re still up to it, OR some poor sap is trying to unload a bad decision

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christy-Mat....m46890.l49292

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 12:11 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

My favorite quote from CC

"Lee can see its real from a mile away"

Maybe that could be their excuse.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:58 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

He is a rube.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post
Guess they’re still up to it, OR some poor sap is trying to unload a bad decision

A couple months back I told that guy that there was no way the Marty was authentic.
I started with the authentication and went from there. He had wanted 10k and keeps dropping. Hoping for one sap to go for the piece.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:49 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post

A couple months back I told that guy that there was no way the Marty was authentic.
I started with the authentication and went from there. He had wanted 10k and keeps dropping. Hoping for one sap to go for the piece.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Brad Jerome

Must be related to Sy Sperling. That guy made a boat load of money in the fake hair market. He wasn't just the President, he was also a client!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjerome View Post
Must be related to Sy Sperling. That guy made a boat load of money in the fake hair market. He wasn't just the President, he was also a client!
"I'm Thigh Thperling, prethident of Hair Club for Men..."

Hadn't thought about that in years!