NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Richard Simon

Default March pickups

Just got these two. One signed on the front and another one on the back with her address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sam_0087.jpg (71.0 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0083.jpg (71.5 KB, 646 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Mike Navarro

Got 6 George W. Bush signed books earlier today. (All have already sold though) Fun times, he was cool as usual.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Got 6 George W. Bush signed books earlier today. (All have already sold though) Fun times, he was cool as usual.

Very cool, Mike.

I watched Hannity last night and his interview with George Bush and was very impressed with his paintings.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 03-04-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Andy Sargent

Default Don Mattingly

My favorite player growing up. Finally got him through the mail. This one took 9 months to get back and I wasn't expecting it at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170303_085248-1494x1097.jpg (78.4 KB, 617 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Terry Lake

Default March Pickups

Very happy to add these to my stash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170305_094835.jpg (75.7 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg 20170305_094946.jpg (74.1 KB, 576 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Richard Simon

Default Billy Sunday signed photo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunday.jpg (14.9 KB, 530 views)
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Picked up this Negro League signed baseball with Jackie on it. It's not from before his MLB days (which is #1 on my wantlist) but I haven't been able to find too many options, so definitely pleased to have found this one.

Ball displays as a a single but there's an interesting mix of signers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Robinson, Jackie Negro League.jpeg (16.2 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson, Jackie Negro League 2.jpg (5.0 KB, 462 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Jeffrey

Sold the Walter Johnson magazine page I bought in January, and picked up a better looking cut as replacement. Can't wait to get this into a custom.

Last edited by alifaxwa2; 03-08-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Richard Simon

Just bought a new collection.
These are the best pieces.
The Mantle is a GPC cut with a 1951 postmark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb.jpg (77.1 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg mantle51.jpg (60.8 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg mantle51-2.jpg (60.3 KB, 456 views)
--
Old 03-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Thank you to Quan for the Trout rookie:

Old 03-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Just bought a new collection.
These are the best pieces.
The Mantle is a GPC cut with a 1951 postmark.

Love that piece.
Good luck with the collection
Old 03-11-2017, 05:31 AM
Jeff

Here's a cool one! A 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Parade Snapshot
of Jackie Robinson & Carl Furillo (Signed by Carl Furillo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Parade Photo.jpg (75.6 KB, 437 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Here's a cool one! A 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Parade Snapshot
of Jackie Robinson & Carl Furillo (Signed by Carl Furillo)
Great photo!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
Great photo!!!!
+1
Awesome signed snapper, JB!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Richard Simon

I just made a deal for this one, it is on the way to me.
I liked it when I first saw the picture and just to be certain I had picture sent to Roger Epperson of REAL who liked it and complimented the quality of the item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sinatrapic.jpg (33.2 KB, 344 views)
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-14-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Won this last night at the Hake's auction.

Comes from Dihigo's personal collection and he signed his last name.
Picture is obviously fairly damaged. Trying to decide whether to leave it as is, or try to do something with it (restore it? Trim it?)

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dihigo Picture.jpg (20.0 KB, 328 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Won this last night at the Hake's auction.

Comes from Dihigo's personal collection and he signed his last name.
Picture is obviously fairly damaged. Trying to decide whether to leave it as is, or try to do something with it (restore it? Trim it?)

Any thoughts?
You bought it in this condition so I personally would keep it as is. I believe it adds to the historical value of the piece and the overall picture is in fair condition anyway so why change it . Also restoring or trimming it IMO will not increase the value but only hurt the value.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
You bought it in this condition so I personally would keep it as is. I believe it adds to the historical value of the piece and the overall picture is in fair condition anyway so why change it . Also restoring or trimming it IMO will not increase the value but only hurt the value.
Thanks for the response. You are probably right, particularly as Oscar Charleston is one of the players in the section that is fairly obscured.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Richard Simon

I just made a deal for these two and should have them in about a week.
Laurel checks are not rare but Oliver Hardy checks are extremely rare with only five known in the hobby and no sales that I can find on the web. I found two pictures of Hardy checks but they were in personal collections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laurel-hardy.jpg (27.0 KB, 278 views)
--
Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Mike Navarro

I came to terms on this one last night. While Taft is not a hard autograph by any stretch of the imagination, this is a special piece. (Sorry for the all caps, it's a cut and paste from the listing)

WILLIAM H. TAFT 1921 TYPED LETTER SIGNED – INCREDIBLE CONTENT CONCERNING PRESIDENT WARREN G. HARDING & THE SUPREME COURT

** TAFT PREPARES TO BE OFFERED THE POSITION OF CHIEF JUSTICE **

27th President. Two-page typed letter signed (TLS) “Wm H. Taft”, March 26, 1921, personal stationery from New Haven, Connecticut, 8×11, to Gus Karger at the Post Building in Washington, D.C., in full:

I enclose herewith a check for $5, to pay that loan I negotiated with you when Misch declared himself bankrupt this morning. I enclose herewith a copy of the interview which I had with President Harding at Marion in December last, for your files. As I was taken aback with Senator Harding’s frankness in this interview, I had a similar sensation when yesterday he told me that he intended to make me Chief Justice when the vacancy occurred. He said he was on good terms with the Chief Justice, and he hoped that there might be two vacancies when the Chief Justice retired, in order that he might put Sutherland on at the same time. Of course I cannot foresee when the vacancies will take place, or how many there are likely to be during the present Administration, but the condition of health of the Chief Justice would seem to indicate that he was more likely to retire than any of the others, and that Harding’s hope to have two places at the same time may not be realized. But there was nothing in what he said that qualified in any way his statement that he intended to make me Chief Justice; and in view of the letter which I wrote him, in which I said I could not accept anything but the Chief Justiceship, I think I must consider the matter closed, so far as a personal statement by the President in advance can close it.

I called on the Chief Justice yesterday afternoon. He said nothing to me about retiring. He spoke of his illness. He said he could still read, though he had a cataract, and he complained of the burden of work that he had, or rather that the Court had to get through, and he bemoaned the critical nature of that work and the dangers that might arise from wrong decision.

I came up with Senator Colt. Colt told me that McReynolds had told him that the Chief Justice was certainly the first man to go. I hope that you will soon see Dr. Richardson, and tell him that I wish to withdraw the suggestion I made to him and think it wiser for him to just keep to himself what I told him, without letting it go further. I don’t think that any intervention of mine will hasten matters.

I greatly enjoyed seeing you, and much enjoyed the trip to Washington. That first afternoon with the new Attorney General was a pleasant experience, and it was good to have his assurance of friendship.

Karger was the press chief of William Howard Taft’s 1908 presidential campaign and director of the Republican Party’s press bureau in the 1912 presidential election.

This very letter has been cited and referenced in many books concerning both Taft and the Supreme Court.

The letter is not without faults as there is staining, heavy in some areas, but has a large, dark signature. Amazing content letter.

During the 1920 election campaign, Taft supported the Republican ticket, Warren G. Harding (by then a senator) and Massachusetts Governor Calvin Coolidge; they were elected. Taft was among those asked to come to the president-elect’s home in Marion, Ohio to advise him on appointments, and the two men conferred there on December 24, 1920. By Taft’s later account, after some conversation, Harding casually asked if Taft would accept appointment to the Supreme Court, for if Taft would, Harding would put him there. Taft had a condition for Harding: that having been president, and having appointed two of the present associate justices and opposed Brandeis, he could only accept the chief justiceship. Harding made no response, and Taft in a thank-you note reiterated the condition and stated that Chief Justice White had often told him he was keeping the position for Taft until a Republican held the White House. In January 1921, Taft heard through intermediaries that Harding planned to appoint him, if given the chance.

White by then was in failing health, but made no move to resign when Harding was sworn in on March 4, 1921. Taft called on the chief justice on March 25, and found White ill, but still carrying on his work and not talking of retiring. White did not retire, dying in office on May 19, 1921. Taft issued a tribute to the man he had appointed to the center seat, and waited and worried if he would be White’s successor. Despite widespread speculation Taft would be the pick, Harding made no quick announcement. Taft was lobbying for himself behind the scenes, especially with the Ohio politicians who formed Harding’s inner circle.

It later emerged that Harding had also promised former Utah senator George Sutherland a seat on the Supreme Court, and was waiting in the expectation that another place would become vacant. Harding was also considering a proposal by Justice William R. Day to crown his career by being chief justice for six months before retiring. Taft felt, when he learned of this plan, that a short-term appointment would not serve the office well, and that once confirmed by the Senate, the memory of Day would grow dim. After Harding rejected Day’s plan, Attorney General Harry Daugherty, who supported Taft’s candidacy, urged him to fill the vacancy, and he named Taft on June 30, 1921. The Senate confirmed Taft the same day, 61–4, without any committee hearings and after a brief debate in executive session. Taft drew the objections of three progressive Republicans and one southern Democrat. When he was sworn in on July 11, he became the first and to date only person to serve both as president and chief justice.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Cool piece for my WWII collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0371.jpg (70.5 KB, 337 views)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Richard Simon

GPC's four different and one great golfer on an album page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb-gpc .jpg (17.5 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg gordon-gpc.jpg (18.7 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg hornsby-gpc.jpg (18.5 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg stengel-gpc.jpg (20.4 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg hsmith-ap.jpg (37.6 KB, 331 views)
--
Old 03-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Mike Navarro

Rich,

Nice looking Peach
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Rich,

Nice looking Peach
Yes that is a sweet one. These and the other items I have recently posted will be on my next list, probably coming out this week.
--
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

A item I just found but forgot to post. It's mini bat 16in, I think, with 23 sigs.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-21-2017, 11:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default WooHoo

My newest Pickup. Finally was able to complete this deal. Big Thanks to Jon for working with me. I am so excited to finally get Walter.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
My newest Pickup. Finally was able to complete this deal. Big Thanks to Jon for working with me. I am so excited to finally get Walter.

Great pickup Mark!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post

the check is made out to his Daughter too, pretty cool.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Michael

campanella.jpg
Contrast makes it less than ideal but less than 2 years to get a pre accident signature
Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Attachment 267030
Contrast makes it less than ideal but less than 2 years to get a pre accident signature
Awesome!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Yeah so I just picked this up and um...well...yeah...

Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

A couple of other recent pickups...

Perez Steele Celebration album signed by 43 Hall of Famers including Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio...

And a neat multi signed Giles ONL ball with some high level HOFers including Rogers Hornsby, Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays + 6 other HOFers and 3 non-HOFers. Not sure I have ever seen a panel of a ball signed only by Musial and Hornsby before.

Tom C
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Yeah so I just picked this up and um...well...yeah...
I saw that in the Hunt auction, understand the rarity, but never really understood the fascination. Regardless, congrats on picking up one of the toughest ballplayers to live in the 21st century.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I saw that in the Hunt auction, understand the rarity, but never really understood the fascination. Regardless, congrats on picking up one of the toughest ballplayers to live in the 21st century.
Imagine a person collecting every Brooklyn Dodger autograph or every 20th century autograph. That one hole in the collection just gnaws at you most likely.

Tom C
Old 03-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Hope you catch that guy and his rival on a day when they feel like spending cash.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Hope you catch that guy and his rival on a day when they feel like spending cash.
I don't intend to part with it for quite some time unless I get bowled over. And there are people (more than two) who have been looking for one for decades without any luck. Right now my biggest dilemma is to slab or not to slab? I hate the thought of entombing something like this, but I am interested in keeping it safe and protected as well. I slabbed my signed M101-2 Honus Wagner for that reason.

Tom C