NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Ed McCollum

Default OT – Hope our friends in California are safe from the fires

With my narrow scope of collecting, I know of only a few of the collectors in California, but as I see reports of the fires out of control and just getting worse, I hope all are safe. You are definitely in our thoughts...
Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Todd C

I am about 30 minutes from the fires in Auburn.

Definitely very scary for those in the immediate area. The fire has taken about 60 homes already. Possible cause was a cigarette thrown out.

It's really bad that something so stupid that could have been prevented like that can cause so much damage and life changing for those in the line of the fire.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Default Whoa

I'm 10 miles from the fire and no, if does not look like a carless act but a power line problem. At least that was the report 40 minutes ago.

sealmark
Old 08-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Chris Counts

I've lived in California most of my life, and at various times, I lived in some of its most fire-prone areas, like Big Sur. We've had some fires this year, but it's still nothing like what we experienced last summer, which was the worst on record. In response to the fire risk, I've gotten in the habit of putting most of my baseball memorabilia in safe deposit boxes. As for preventing wildfires, I've never seen that as an option. I agree that tossing a cigarette is a really dumb thing to do under any circumstances, but the landscape is genetically engineered to burn. Ask any California firefighter. If a human doesn't start a fire, eventually nature will with a lightning strike (which is how most of last year's fires started). To the contrary, I'm a big advocate of controlled burns. Either we burn the landscape when it's reasonably safe to burn it (in the winter or spring) or nature WILL burn it in the summer and fall, when it's far less safe to burn and many homes will be destroyed ...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We're smokin' here in Burbank, and I mean that literally. I happen to be in a safe area in the flatlands but the big fire is one mountain range over and the whole area is blanketed in smoke most of the day. From a distance the tower of ash looks like a volcano's spew. You know how it feels to be downwind of a beach bonfire? That about sums it up. The stink is everywhere and some parts of the day even have ash fallout. It is worst in the morning when the wind blows the smoke over the area instead of to the north and east. I have the A/C on and a fan blowing too and I've been sneezing and watery eyed all day. My daughter has been having some asthma issues as well. It looks to be about a week before they can hope to have it under control, so for now all anyone can do is hope that pray that the wall of flame doesn't push hard down the range and into densely populated areas.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM

I grew up on View Drive in Burbank , California which was right at the foothills . I can remember as a little kid holding the hose as we sprinkled the roof to reduce the chance of the house catching on fire from a stray spark. Hope eveyone pulls through this.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I am over the hill from Adam and we are getting a lot of the smoke. The massive Station Fire crested the ridge last night about 15 miles from where I live. The good news is that it will not reach me this time. The smoke is unreal. Nearly two years ago, I had the fires within 300 yards of my front door and was evacuated twice.

If you want to see what Adam and I are dealing with, this is a great time lapse of the Station Fire taken this Sunday. Five days after the fire started it is still only 5% contained this morning.

http://www.brandonriza.com/Video/HTM...Contained.html

Joshua
Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
David McDonald

Holy Shee-yit!
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._californ.html
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Well, it has been absolutely awful here the last few days. I live about a mile from one of the large command posts for the Station Fire. The park is a tent city of fire, ranger, and police personnel. The air quality has gotten worse over the last three days with yesterday and today raining ash. Two firefighters have perished during this fire defending another camp that was overrun by flames. They now say full containment might (might?!?) happen by Sept. 15. It is awful. My class spent the day writing to the firefighters and I dropped them off at the command center. I was surprised to see other community members there dropping off water, homemade food, letters, clothes, and gifts. Very nice to see some outreach here in Los Angeles.

Joshua
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Barry Arnold

Default fires

was thinking about you Adam and Joshua, as i sit here in Florida a bit past midnight.
you and your families and others are in my thoughts and prayers during these most difficult times

all the best,
barry
Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Default I live in Pasadena and face the foothills & mountains...

And I've never seen anything quite like it as over a four day period I watched helplessly as fire consumed a whole mountain and went on to the next one. Looked as if someone was photoshopping it. Absolutely surreal. The smoke and ash made it pretty much impossible to stay outside for more than a few minutes. And even inside my closed up apartment, the smell of smoke was pretty strong at times.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 09-03-2009 at 04:01 PM.