NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:36 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecksims View Post
Completely agree with the easy to upload pictures.
Its not. Everything is too large. I can literally post to every other site but here. If its me thats fine but thought I would bring it up anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170528-233534.jpg (5.8 KB, 436 views)
Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
I am serious and would prefer a no cost/free option, too. There would be development costs for Leon unless each AH pitches in to cover the nut, which would be like herding cats. Maybe a gofundme approach would get it done. I dunno but there would be at least 150 hours of programming work that would need to be done to tap into each AH's API (if they have one) and present the data in a meaningful and accurate way. Each AH would be a mini project in itself because they are all different and this assumes they want to provide the data feed in the first place. Love the idea but needs funding as nobody programs for free unless Leon is a closet coder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How would "an only Net54 auction houses feature" be an improvement on the variety of wishlist/aggregator tools that have been out there for years?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecksims View Post
Kind of combining a few ideas. Tiered memberships. Bronze ($10 a year) gives you access to autograph/grade opinions from Leon and other trusted members. Silver ($25 a year) gives you bronze access plus group grading specials. Gold ($50 a year) gives you bronze, silver, and VCP. Maybe throw in one of the levels the ability for a couple of mods to be intermediates in highend trades where the members do not feel comfortable shipping directly to each other.
Don't get tiered menberships, never one to pay for supposed value. Probably because memberships, to me, detract from value.

Besides, decided I was not the joiner type of guy since country club memberships and the 1971 draft taught me otherwise.
...whatever I want
Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
How would "an only Net54 auction houses feature" be an improvement on the variety of wishlist/aggregator tools that have been out there for years?

I would love an aggregate search of all open auctions minus eBay. It there is one please post a link. I have a VCP subscription, btw. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Rob G.

1) is it possible to search for posts which contain two words? Lets say, for example, T206 Cobb. If I type T206 Cobb in the net54 search, I get all posts with EITHER "T206" or "Cobb". Can I finds all posts that have BOTH T206 and Cobb in them?

2) I guess I'm in the minority who finds the picture upload very easy. Click "manage attachments", select picture, click upload. What could be easier? I guess drag n drop could be easier? If its a size issue, I guess two options are for the user to save the picture in a smaller size, or for net54 to reduce the size on upload. I never upload pics from a cellphone (don't own one) so perhaps that's a different process?

3) Bring back Wonka and Dewolf. Lifetime bans should only be for scammers.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:02 AM
D@V!D

1. Maybe it is the OCD in me or maybe I just enjoy browsing through every catalogue, but I wouldn't use an aggregate search function of all auctions.

2. If the goal is to grow membership, I think a paid subscription model is not the best idea. There has been talk for years about the possibility of a nominal fee for major sites such as Twitter and Facebook and there are reasons it has never come to pass. Bottom line is that a large number of people are opposed for various reasons. Too cheap, can't afford, concern of having credit card information stored etc. Sure, many who are here may pay initially, but new membership will be deterred and I suspect would be a shrinking business model. I for one am thankful Leon has kept it free and hope he can keep it or make it profitable through use of advertising.

D@vid L@m0nt

Last edited by sushihotwings; 05-29-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default forum

Charge a yearly fee
Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Two things come to mind.

1. I would have a separate BST page for unique (i.e., one-of-a-kind) cards and keep a running list of unique cards sought (with links to contact the interested buyer/trader) and unique cards offered and a list of successful white whale captures facilitated by the page.

2. I would, and I'd have done this quite a few years ago, have banned Ted Z. for repeatedly harassing younger members of the forum and anyone else who disagrees with him and points out his mistakes.

Glenn Scheyd

I could not DISAGREE more! Ted's hobby knowledge far outweighs any squabbles he may have, though I bet a lot of them are warranted on his part.

Of course, I've never been on the receiving end...

Viva Ted!

- and respect your elders. If you don't, you will regret it someday.

signed,
Raymond Culpepper
self-admitted cramudgin (and, no, spell check didn't help with spelling)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-29-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I could not DISAGREE more! Ted's hobby knowledge far outweighs any squabbles he may have, though I bet a lot of them are warranted on his part.

Viva Ted!
Isn't that #4 of the Ten Commandments here, thou shalt not speak ill of tedzan, barrysloate, or frankbmd ? Seriously, I have never seen any reason to.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Isn't that #4 of the Ten Commandments here, thou shalt not speak ill of tedzan, barrysloate, or frankbmd ? Seriously, I have never seen any reason to.
That ship has already sailed.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
NO!!!!
Quote:
NO.
Agreed. With how vitriolic the past few election cycles have been (and possibly further back than that, I'm just not old enough to remember), it's been nice to have one place on the internet that politics doesn't seep in to.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Don't insult Ted and Barry by grouping Frank with them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Nick Pascal

Lots of wonderful ideas in this thread. Here are my two cents:

-- I agree with others here that some kind of feedback system for transactions would be nice. I think it would help new users feel more comfortable making deals on this site and could only help us grow in the long run.

-- Asking prices should be required when putting something up for sale in the BST section. I'd say scans should be too, but due to too many images/people having difficulty adding images to their post, I don't think that one is really feasible.

-- Just trying to spitball ways to get even more discussion going on here, but maybe have a weekly topic thread stickied to the top of both the pre-war and post-war forums. Examples would be like T211, Ty Cobb, and T206 Plank on the pre-war board, and 1949 Leaf, Hank Aaron, 1952 Mantle on the post-war board. Not only would these be great places to learn and ask questions as they are happening, but once we have enough of them they would be a great point of reference for anyone just looking to learn more about the hobby. You could even have a poll every Sunday to pick the topic of the thread to be created on Monday.

Overall, you run a pretty good ship, Leon. Thanks for all the time you put in to give us crazy assholes a place to hang out!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:48 AM
Rich

Default Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Outlaw the personal attacks or, better yet, start a separate section for personal attacks. That way we don't have to deal with it in the original thread. It would be like the good old days - "if you two can't get along, take it outside into the parking lot."

Rob M
I agree with starting a separate page for a "Fight Club." I know many people are not interested in the internicene bickering that occassionally goes on. But instead of banning it, I say let them vent it in a controlled environment instead of ruining other threads. Keep the old rule of having to put your name to negative posts on this new page. Maybe add a few other rules.

Then the people who hate this kind of on-line fighting NEVER have to click onto the "Fight Club" page. While those with grievances, vendettas, agendas, or simply the desire to "witness" a disagreement/spectacle can have their needs met also.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Mike

Quote:

Viva Ted!

signed,
Raymond Culpepper
curmudgeon!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

If I owned the forum, I would not allow AH's or anyone else promote their auctions in the main section.

I would create a separate section for all to advertise their wares free of charge.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
curmudgeon!

Thanks- I am further enlightened.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Default It's Time....

...it's been 100 posts since a pre-war baseball card was seen in this thread ; it's time...Yankees have always worked for me....

Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM
David Sims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Its not. Everything is too large. I can literally post to every other site but here. If its me thats fine but thought I would bring it up anyway.
I can take a picture on my phone and upload it, where other sites just give me errors.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM
David Sims

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
Don't get tiered menberships, never one to pay for supposed value. Probably because memberships, to me, detract from value.

Besides, decided I was not the joiner type of guy since country club memberships and the 1971 draft taught me otherwise.
If you use these functions, which most members do, it gives you a group discount vs buying individually.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
If I owned the forum, I would not allow AH's or anyone else promote their auctions in the main section.

I would create a separate section for all to advertise their wares free of charge.
I would love to see every auction house listed who sells cards. The auction report reminds me when auctions are about to end. I think if we had a section just for auction houses and their auction dates, that every member would check it daily.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Tony

I guess if we are adding to the website and our two cents;
  1. I would like to see a realized prices section, where people can post actual sold prices for things that VCP doesn't cover.
  2. I would also like to see a bad ebay/Forum trader page, like blowout has, where people could post their NPB and the such & or scammer alerts.
  3. I think member feedback is a great idea, although I have only posted one item in the BST; I may start though.
  4. and lastly a separate section for show off your collection or the monthly pickups, and maybe a suggestions for improvement section.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Bill Avery

If I owned the forum I would have probably run it into the ground a long time ago, so I guess its good I'm not in charge.

Other than that pearl of wisdom I got nothin new to add.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
I would love an aggregate search of all open auctions minus eBay. It there is one please post a link. I have a VCP subscription, btw. Am I missing something?
VCP has a wishlist feature that includes eBay and some of the auction houses (not sure which ones)

Collectibles Central tracks all of the auctions that use the SimpleAuctions platform. They also had a wishlist feature when I last checked many years ago so I assume they still have it.

Collectable tracks most auctions that advertise here and includes the largest sports auction houses (Heritage, REA, Goldin, etc.) independent of what platform they use. They also have a wishlist feature.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Val Kehl

(1) Enhance the "Albums" feature, to encourage more members (such as yours truly) to make use of it.
(2) Enhance the spreadsheet list of "Net54 Vintage Collectors" by adding columns for collecting focuses and phone numbers (for those that wish to include this info) and proactively encourage more members to have their names included. I feel this could be a much greater resource.
(3) I am a big fan of Show & Tells. Begin each week with a new Show & Tell thread on the Main Board for a specific HOFer. Do this alphabetically, starting with Aaron and ending with Yount, a few years later. Include a link to the player's bio in the first post in each of these threads. Keep each thread open for only one week for members to post pics of their cards, photos, other memorabilia, comments, etc. for the "HOFer of the week." Perhaps do the pre-War HOFers on the Main Board, and do the post-War Hofers on the Post-War Board.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
(1) Enhance the "Albums" feature, to encourage more members (such as yours truly) to make use of it.
(2) Enhance the spreadsheet list of "Net54 Vintage Collectors" by adding columns for collecting focuses and phone numbers (for those that wish to include this info) and proactively encourage more members to have their names included. I feel this could be a much greater resource.
(3) I am a big fan of Show & Tells. Begin each week with a new Show & Tell thread on the Main Board for a specific HOFer. Do this alphabetically, starting with Aaron and ending with Yount, a few years later. Include a link to the player's bio in the first post in each of these threads. Keep each thread open for only one week for members to post pics of their cards, photos, other memorabilia, comments, etc. for the "HOFer of the week." Perhaps do the pre-War HOFers on the Main Board, and do the post-War Hofers on the Post-War Board.
Do you really mean that I have to wait until 2024 to show you my "Yount"?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
VCP has a wishlist feature that includes eBay and some of the auction houses (not sure which ones)

Collectibles Central tracks all of the auctions that use the SimpleAuctions platform. They also had a wishlist feature when I last checked many years ago so I assume they still have it.

Collectable tracks most auctions that advertise here and includes the largest sports auction houses (Heritage, REA, Goldin, etc.) independent of what platform they use. They also have a wishlist feature.
Thank you. Links bookmarked.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Agreed, sometimes I want to search for a member to find his/her ID and all I know is his first name or last name and those fields are rarely filled out and I don't see a way of searching on them anyways other than going page by page.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Do you really mean that I have to wait until 2024 to show you my "Yount"?
Yes Frank, whether your "Yount" is raw or slabbed, I don't care to see it any sooner than 2024, if I have to see it at all!

Being serious for a second, this is why I ended my post with the probably-better suggestion to "perhaps do the pre-War HOFers on the Main Board, and do the post-War Hofers on the Post-War Board." By doing this, if I don't bother to read the Post-War Board, I'll never have to look at your "Yount."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Val- Forget the Younts. If we do this I am sure you will be looking at a lot of collectors Johnsons!!

Quote:
Yes Frank, whether your "Yount" is raw or slabbed, I don't care to see it any sooner than 2024, if I have to see it at all!

Being serious for a second, this is why I ended my post with the probably-better suggestion to "perhaps do the pre-War HOFers on the Main Board, and do the post-War Hofers on the Post-War Board." By doing this, if I don't bother to read the Post-War Board, I'll never have to look at your "Yount."
Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I know this forum is very popular among baseball collectors, but it is lacking in the others areas such as hockey, basketball, etc. You need to try to reach out to these collectors in order to grow your forum. Try to advertise in magazines (Beckett, card show magazines, SMR, etc.) and online. Also, the companies that advertise on this site should put a Net54baseball banner on their sites.
i agree. i think Hockey with its long history is deserving of its own section.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i'd rather have a piss poor wags!!!!!
Right on, Pete!

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
+1
Second that!

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 05-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

4) Miss Wonka's posts, would like to see him back.
Agreed -- and I also miss Jim Crandell's posts and I wish we could have Bruce back for some of his posts. When Bruce was on point he was great I'd love to see Jim B too and it's always great to see archives to see some of their posts
Agreed!

Regards,

Larry
Old 05-31-2017, 04:07 PM
Larry

Quote:

Viva Ted!

signed,
Raymond Culpepper
Ted is a great asset.

Best wishes to all,

Larry
Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:

signed,
Raymond Culpepper
Yeah, that stupid spell check didn't help me with COVFEFE either.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
I agree with starting a separate page for a "Fight Club." I know many people are not interested in the internicene bickering that occassionally goes on. But instead of banning it, I say let them vent it in a controlled environment instead of ruining other threads. Keep the old rule of having to put your name to negative posts on this new page. Maybe add a few other rules.

Then the people who hate this kind of on-line fighting NEVER have to click onto the "Fight Club" page. While those with grievances, vendettas, agendas, or simply the desire to "witness" a disagreement/spectacle can have their needs met also.
Yes, and if this is your first time clicking on "Fight Club," you have to fight.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:41 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
1) is it possible to search for posts which contain two words? Lets say, for example, T206 Cobb. If I type T206 Cobb in the net54 search, I get all posts with EITHER "T206" or "Cobb". Can I finds all posts that have BOTH T206 and Cobb in them?

3) Bring back Wonka and Dewolf. Lifetime bans should only be for scammers.
The search function could definitely be improved upon, I totally agree with this.

And I wish Wonka and Rob could come back. Also the Kevins (Mize and Quinn). Probably not Adrian, though.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Steven

Having Wonka back would be sweet.

What about an Archive, the best threads could be stored there and rekindled whenever. I know Leon hates, I mean fricken HATES adding new adding new sections but it would easy and sweet.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Yeah, that stupid spell check didn't help me with COVFEFE either.
Hahaha. Try corpseman and 57 states and see if either one works.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:06 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Hahaha. Try corpseman and 57 states and see if either one works.
+1 billion

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Everything will be considered.