NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Help with baseball books

A friend asked me about some baseball books he has. I know very little about books. I'm hoping someone could tell me about desirability and the price range.

1) The Negro in Sports by Edwin Henderson. Revised edition 1949 with dust jacket.

2) Richter's History and Records of Base Ball. 1914 no dust jacket.

3) Billy Sunday The man and his message by Wm. T. Ellis. 1914 with dust jacket.

4) Base Ball How To Play It. by Stanley Harris 1925 with dust jacket.

I can try to get more information if needed. I have pictures of the title page I'll try to put on later. Thanks, Sam Majors smajors234@yahoo.com

5) Baseball Individual Play and Team Play in Detail by Clarke and Dawson 1915

6) Playing The Game From Mine Boy to Manager Stanley Harris 1925
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161231_182813baseball harris (576x1024).jpg (66.3 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 20161231_182925 negro in sports.jpg (72.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 20161231_182954 billy sunday (720x1280).jpg (74.1 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg 20161231_182446richters (720x1280).jpg (72.9 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg clarke title page.jpg (69.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg game.jpg (72.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg clarke and front.jpg (31.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by sam majors; 01-10-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Date correction
Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 PM

These are very collectible.
1. Harris--- this appears to be the Stokes edition, which is a first Ed. The dust jacket is fairly scarce and makes it much better. Pricing baseball books is difficult since they are not that popular right now, but I still believe they are under valued and will rebound. That said this could range from about 150 to 250 full retail, assuming not ex library etc.
2. Henderson---this appears to be the 1949 edition, not a first, but actually could be better. First was 1939. Again the dust jacket makes it more desirable and is fairly scarce. Estimate about the same as above.
3. Sunday book---more common, but again the dust jacket makes it more desirable. No estimate on this one, but quess about 100 or so.
4. Richter--- this is the best one in my opinion, great early history. Condition is not great, but ok. This used to go for over 1000, but seems to sell now for 600 to 750 or so. You should check to see if they are signed or belonged to anyone signicant.
Books seem to be a hard sell at the moment, but I believe will have lasting value, the Richter is the best one.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Henderson

The Henderson is a great book - great section on Negro leagues and another on Jackie. Very rare especially with dust jacket. All that said I think this book is very under values - generally goes for about 200 with dust jacket - you can find copies listed for much higher but those have been listed forever. I have both the 49 and 39 editions - well worth picking up
Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Val Kehl

Sam, is the 1915 date for the Bucky Harris book a typo? Bucky's first year in pro ball was 1916, and his first year with the Senators was 1919.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:22 PM

The Harris book should be 1925.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM

Default Books

The Harris book is 1925. I guess these tired old eyes need to do a better job at proof reading. I appreciate the information about the books. My friend has a few others but I don't have pictures of them yet. Any help with them would be appreciated. Thanks, Sam Majors smajors234@yahoo.com
Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Default 2 more books

I listed 2 more books in my first post at the top. So far Net.54 members have provided a ton of information! Thanks, Sam
Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Max Weder

Sam

5) Baseball Individual Play and Team Play in Detail by Clarke and Dawson 1915

6) Playing The Game From Mine Boy to Manager Stanley Harris 1925

5. This book is very very common without dust jacket. Most instructionals, even early ones, have very limited demand. A $10 book. Even with a dust jacket, it would sell for under $50,

6. This is the Stokes first edition. Hard to find in a dust jacket. Quite collectible, but most book collectors (of which there seem to be far fewer now) have a copy (as they do with other great books like Richter). It should be a $200+ book, and perhaps more if you can find two collectors to fight it out.

Book prices generally are lower now than in the 1990s. The internet has shown that some books (e.g. Putnam team series) are much more available, leading to a drop. With fewer collectors, this also leads to price drops. Some truly rare titles have gone up in value.

That said, prices can swing wildly, depending on the auction venue, the bidders and other factors.

Max
Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Playing the game is a first, I believe, although there is a Grosset and Dunlap reprint I think it is a different dust jacket. Again, the dust jacket is pretty scarce and makes the book better, 200 and up full retail.
The Clarke and Dawson is a first, there were many other editions. Not as collected as history books, but still interesting. There is a dust jacket which seems to be missing, still can be found for about 20 dollars and up. I think Clarke was Moe Berg's coach at Princeton. This was the first in a series of books with this title, subsequent editions authored by Coombs, Littweiler and probably others, with expected changes in strategy etc.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
The Clarke and Dawson is a first, there were many other editions. Not as collected as history books, but still interesting. There is a dust jacket which seems to be missing, still can be found for about 20 dollars and up. I think Clarke was Moe Berg's coach at Princeton. This was the first in a series of books with this title, subsequent editions authored by Coombs, Littweiler and probably others, with expected changes in strategy etc.
Bruce

I have with dust jackets the series of these which dealt with a number of sports. The Ice Hockey title seems to be the hardest to find in dust jacket, and commends more attention and a higher price, simply because of the lack of early hockey titles.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Max, very nice. Also nice to hear from you. I was answering only as a fill in for you. Almost started a book related thread to see if anyone was still around.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Max Weder

Bruce

Don't know if you're on Facebook, but Tom Zocco and I administer the Baseball Book Group there with about 6000 members. It's fairly active and civil, and is clearly focused on modern books, and (gasp) people reading these books; however, there are a number of older book postings from time to time.

Max
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Thanks Max, I will check it out, I think my post crossed yours in response to to the op, sorry.