NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default from "The Dreyfus Affair"

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Peter Esterhazy (commissioner of baseball) had flown out to L.A. to attend the final three games of the season between the Vikings fitional) and the As (real). He wanted to be on hand for the post-game festivities and the presentation of the trophy for the divisdional championship.

....the two teams having split the first two games, the winner of tonight's game would clinch. The game was exciting right from the start.. The As loaded the bases with one out in the top of the first. Charlie Gonze had Al De Mun wave the infield in at the corners and at double-play depth up the middle. Randy (shortstop) and D.J. (second baseman) cheated a few feet closer to eachother.

D.J. held up his glove and signaled one finger to his shortstop, which meant that he would take a throw from the pitcher. Randy nodded...

The ball was hit past the pitcher just to the right of the second-base bag. The two steps D.J. had cheated made the difference. Diving, he backhanded the ball on the short hop, and while still in the air, shoveled it to Randy coming across the bag. The shortstop tickled the base with his toe and threw to first a microsecond before jumping to elude the upturned spikes of the runner coming in hard to break up the double play.

The umpire hesitated for a second, then threw up his hand. The place exploded. Randy casually brushed off his uniform and trotted in just behind his second baseman...

You won't see a better double play than that," Gene Jaress enthused to Fritz Esterhyazy.
The commissioner nodded agreement. "it's as if those two were an extension of eachother."

Who knows, maybe some of you have even read it...

Old 02-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

If this was stated a little differently, it would appeal to an even wider audience, imho.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I just didn't have much hope of anyone buying the thing...it is scheduloed to become a movie in the next year...yeah!

Old 02-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Well, I think that the sex and violence is appropriately subtle. Quite understated and not apparent when first read. But L.A. does not fit. Come on, nothing of note happens there anymore. Id recommend Concord, N.H.

What do you think?

Old 03-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

As for the sex, jeez, you actuaslly saw SEX in that quote? Hat's off to you...there's plenty of (mild) sex in the book, but I thought that quote was about a double play...

I thought I read that nothing happened in New Hampshire, after all--speaking of sex and violence. But then, i didn't read about it in the newspaper, but on the Pierre Tremblay chatboard...if you tell me you don't know who he is, I'd not be surprised. If you tell me you do, I guess I would.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Just a bit of violence: someone in the stands shoots Randy (the shortstop) in the butt (the butt part was an accident; he wanted to kill him) after he makes a home run to win a world series game. Turns out to be a wacko, and not a plot or anything. But anyway, the team has to go to Cincinatti without him, and they lose the Series, either because or unrealted to that.

Funny how you forget things you want to...

The end of the book is just as ridiculous in 2006 as it was in 1992, when it was written. I hope, when they make a movie out of it, they change the ending. neva happen, G.I...

Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The original Dreyfus Affair was told in one of my favorite movies, "The Life of Emile Zola" with Paul Muni. It's a classic.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator

...if you want to...