NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Eric Pugh

Default contrary to what most of you are implying

i am starting to think Steve is an utter genius in how he is going about this.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Tony Ooten

It's not surprising that this many raw previously uncirculated prewar cards from popular sets have stirred up emotions and differing opinions.

I hope it's still a blast for Steve....... based on the line he put on on the recent lots - "Sale will be determined when I say it is" - it probably is still a blast....Love it!

For those of you who have bought lots, What percentage would you say have been been trimmed?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I hope it's still a blast for Steve....... based on the line he put on on the recent lots - "Sale will be determined when I say it is"
Sale will be determined when I say it is..................
How is that maximizing the money raised for the elderly woman that it is going to?

24 Homecare is very expensive where this woman lives. It is not cheap at all. Can that attitude really be maximizing her costs?

Also, people are saying that Steve can do whatever he wants with these cards. People are acting like they are Steve's cards and he can sell them any way he wants. That would be true if these were Steve's cards. These are not his cards. He is selling them (15%) for someone else.

Last edited by pgellis; 04-01-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Barry Sloate

I agree that Steve can sell these any way he wants, providing the consignor agrees with it, which she has. But Steve might consider putting a time down when he expects to close the lots, and perhaps stretch the bidding period on each lot to a couple of days. At least it would take care of all the complainers.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Johnny S

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 04-04-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: none of my business
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
I guess I am the only one who thought that the way that these cards were sold was strange. One of the first lots was for a large group of Southern League cards that were offered on a Friday afternoon at 12:00noon and sold that same afternoon at 4:30.......put out there for 4.5 hours......then sold. I put in an offer just for 4 of the cards and never heard back.....not 1 word. Sold.....entire lot 4.5 hours later. I guarantee that my offer for just those 4 cards was probably a large percentage of what the entire lot sold for. Why only wait 4.5 hours before declaring a lot sold? Why not let others come home from work and "bid" on them? I don't get it.

Why not take bids? Why not take individual offers for each card to maximize the revenue for the owner? I know there are a lot of cards, but come on..........

I don't get it!

Are these your cards? Are you selling them? Do know the exact details of the situation Steve is in, or the family in which he is selling for? Is this any of your business? If they need the money now, do you think it's okay to question the manner in which Steve is selling a group of BASEBALL cards?

Even though this hobby is important to us, they are still just old pieces of cardboard with lithographs on them. The fact that you were unable to get a certain group of cards should not motivate you to be upset with Steve for how the sales have been going on. Imagine having to ship 2000+ cards to an incredible amount of different addresses, or keeping track of all the payments from individual people, making sure that each card goes to the right place. You're asking for someone to commit to months and months if not a year of work, when this family could very well need the money before the month is out.

No hard feelings, just wanted to say something!

I thought Gradedcardman had a great response to what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
My response to that is based on the volume on cards in the Beantown Find and the speed in which I am sure these folks may need these sold this is the best way to sell them. Selling off 2000 + cards individually would be nerve racking at best.

I commend Steve for agreeing to do this for the family as it is a tremendous task. All of the lots I read stated "lot only". I have not seen any group that said make individual cards offers. Is he missing out on some $$, maybe but the time value of money says turn and burn.

He can sell these anyway he pleases. His cards his rules.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This is unbelievable to me...noone is ever satisfied! Prices are too high...prices are too low....gimme' a break people. Steve can do whatever the hell he wants here...it's his show...deal with it...it's only cardboard!
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

And in this hobby, no bad deed gets punished. (NOT a reference to Steve, but more general sarcasm.)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-01-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

You guys don’t’ need to rush to Steve’s defense nobody is attacking him.

You guys crack me up anytime somebody voices and presents a fair POV that is the slightest bit different from the current lemming march everybody jumps all over the person who dares to discuss something on a DISCUSSION board.

Phil isn’t attacking Steve that I can see nor did Greg or I. I think Phil’s just making a case as to why he feels as others said that perhaps these lots could be left up longer and since many were so short why folks may feel these aren’t hitting full potential. Is that so really bad to say????

Hell if anything it’s in Steve’s best interest, if anything it’s being helpful not hurtful. LOL

Perhaps a little armchair quarterback at most but not malicious.

I would also say that most if not all of you are guilty of being a bit armchair quarterback at one point or time on this board. Never stopped some of you guys from making points or assumptions against, Doug Allen, Mastro, GAI, Pat Chan, JSA, SGC countless eBay sellers, other members… and much much more.LOL

Case in point…..

“and as far as cash advance, yeah maybe on a Matty game ball or Ruth jersey but a bunch of midgrade T206 and Caramels ? Please.......”

Hey Johnny how many thousands of midgrade T206’s and Caramels you have lying around your house right now? I can say that without a shadow of doubt there is not one auction house out there that if put in the position to get this collection consigned wouldn’t pony up short term cash if the family needed it.

As for all of you guys who are so quick to say that the points mentioned by Phil, Greg or I are so off base and we can go away and are so mean or ungrateful, this includes folks who own auction houses. LOL

Feel free to liquidate your entire collections graded or ungraded via only our BST in 3+ hour increments, don’t let your one or two cards sit in the BST for weeks any longer, enough with your endless bumps or the reductions…take the highest offer given to you in 3 hours and stop cluttering up the BST already as it’s a clear consensus that what is offered in 3-12 hours is ample value period.

Auction houses also take note if you’re reading this no need for you guys to run auctions for 20+ days, send out mailing lists or even advertise. Put all of your lots in the BST and within hours you’re done and maximized time to move.

As for complaints or being labeled complainers I find it so funny we can make comments about the way REA or Legendary and others breakdown lots for sale and bust their balls publicly and complain on how they run their businesses or auctions on closing nights, or thier BP's that’s ok.

But make a similar simple comment about a board member who’s getting almost the same juice as an auction house and you’re the anti-christ. LOL

I really think if you looked up hypocrisy in the dictionary it would have web link to NET54 sometimes.

Cheers,

John
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Johnny S

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 04-04-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Clayton

All I know is I would've LOVED to get my hands on some of those T206's- just didn't have the type of funds I "assumed" I would need to get one. I didn't want to put in a ridiculously low bid, and have it appear as if I were insulting anyones intelligence..........now I am just hoping some of the cards from this find will be offered in smaller lots, or even in singles

Great find with a great story !!!

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 04-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
.... So how can I make a competitive bid when my first bid was ignored and then the lot sold 3 or 4 hours later with no update?

When you bid, or make an offer on any item, do you come out with your "best price" or highest offer right away? You start low and negotiate your way up. But you need input from the seller. Without any input from the seller how can you gauge your offer?

He asked for people to submit their best offer. Why should he assume that you didn't submit your best offer? I submitted my best offer, and it was $200 short. I couldn't do anything about it, it was my best offer. What input from the seller do you need? You can figure out the value of the cards to you.

Last edited by dstudeba; 04-01-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Beantown baby

Totally agree. This is not a negotiating type situation. There is no auction sniper and no time for 100's of replies. Let the man sell them and hopefully everyone who can will get a great lot. I have thrown in bids on 15 lots. I won 3. Happy to of won them and looking forward to bidding on more !! I will break them up and sell in smaller lots later on in the spring.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
He asked for people to submit their best offer. Why should he assume that you didn't submit your best offer? I submitted my best offer, and it was $200 short. I couldn't do anything about it, it was my best offer. What input from the seller do you need? You can figure out the value of the cards to you.
Yes he did, but he didn't say submit it by 4:30pm today or you are #)#@ out of luck. He never spelled out "his" rules in the beginning.

When you are going in to buy a car do you say, "Hello, I will take the sticker price please!" No, you start out low and negotiate. Come up a little on your offer or we can't help you.

People are forgetting that Steve has admitted he is getting 15% for this sale. Let's not make it like he is put out for taking a picture of 50 cards and posting it on this site for NO COST and then deciding on his own when he is going to hammer the final price.

Communication........just let us know how you are going to run this sale from the beginning.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
P.hil €lli$

Why couldn't he have taken the 10 seconds it would have taken on his listings to say, "It's 6:00pm and the high bid is $1500.00", then others could have decided to be in or not. He could have told us that this listing will end at 8:00am tomorrow morning, etc., etc.

NO COMMUNICATION!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

To the guys giving out very valuable free advice., You may be leaving good money on the table.

Incidentally, there have been several high value purchases made off line. (About half of total sales), In spite of the poor service, the family continues to be ecstatic with their rapid payments.

A special Thankyou to the several, local, repeat buyers.

New stock arriving next week. Save youre pennies,

My best,
Steve F
fdnyladder7@comcast.net
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Yes he did, but he didn't say submit it by 4:30pm today or you are #)#@ out of luck. He never spelled out "his" rules in the beginning.

When you are going in to buy a car do you say, "Hello, I will take the sticker price please!" No, you start out low and negotiate. Come up a little on your offer or we can't help you.

People are forgetting that Steve has admitted he is getting 15% for this sale. Let's not make it like he is put out for taking a picture of 50 cards and posting it on this site for NO COST and then deciding on his own when he is going to hammer the final price.

Communication........just let us know how you are going to run this sale from the beginning.

Phil -

Just my opinion but if you disagree that much with the way Steve is handling things just don't participate.

I'm also not sure why you're mentioning again about his 15%? Personally, it doesn't matter to me if Steve's getting 15% or 30%....same as I don't care if Rob Lifson is getting 15% or 30%....what I "bid" is what I bid....I just don't get the connection you're trying to make with the percentage he's getting compared to how he's not handling this correctly and not communicating?

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM
P.hil €lli$

Why wouldn't they be estatic, they were about to give these items away for free before someone else became involved. So, if they got $100 for the collection, that was more than they expected last week.

You cannot convince me that you have maximized this family's take on this collection by how you have sold this collection.

You could have sold this collection with no information of where these cards came from, but once you said that you were trying to sell cards for an elderly woman's care, then all bet's are off. If these were your cards, then you could sell them any way you want, but you have not maximized price for someone else by selling them on here without updating bid prices and or updating when the "auction" is going to end.

Are you kidding me that a lot of vintage cards that sells in 4.5 hours on a Friday afternoon has maximized price for the "consignor". If you think that that method of selling is maximizing price, then you must have skipped "Business 101" in college.

Almost everyone here has no idea how much 24 hour care in the area that "Mrs. M" lives costs......it is not cheap. Minus 15%.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
Phil -

Just my opinion but if you disagree that much with the way Steve is handling things just don't participate.

I'm also not sure why you're mentioning again about his 15%? Personally, it doesn't matter to me if Steve's getting 15% or 30%....same as I don't care if Rob Lifson is getting 15% or 30%....what I "bid" is what I bid....I just don't get the connection you're trying to make with the percentage he's getting compared to how he's not handling this correctly and not communicating?

Dave
Come on, are we comparing this "sale" with Rob Lifson. I really don't want to bash Steve, but people are patting him on the back and congratulating him. The reason I am bringing up the 15% is that, according to most people on here he is getting top dollar, so, then he is getting a lot of money for selling cards on here at no cost to him.

Rob Lifson, or any other major auction house would have major expenses in catalogs, photos, marketing, etc. to sell a collection like this. They would also have the collection up for probably 3 weeks with a price to top by bidding more.

This sale has been very blind......to most.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Come on, are we comparing this "sale" with Rob Lifson. I really don't want to bash Steve, but people are patting him on the back and congratulating him. The reason I am bringing up the 15% is that, according to most people on here he is getting top dollar, so, then he is getting a lot of money for selling cards on here at no cost to him.

Rob Lifson, or any other major auction house would have major expenses in catalogs, photos, marketing, etc. to sell a collection like this. They would also have the collection up for probably 3 weeks with a price to top by bidding more.

This sale has been very blind......to most.
I heard he is cutting Leon 3.5% of the final sales numbers.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default please........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
I heard he is cutting Leon 3.5% of the final sales numbers.
No that is not the case. Johnny is joking but if Steve or anyone really wants to send me money...I won't stop you .
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be estatic, they were about to give these items away for free before someone else became involved. So, if they got $100 for the collection, that was more than they expected last week.
I think Steve's initial post said the niece wanted to donate the cards after original owner died back in the 1970's, so the decision not to give them away was made over 30 years ago.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Guys come on...

As usual any simple discussion or point is taken to the extreme on here… with no middle ground.

Here is a simple readers digest points..I think some of us were trying to make…..if you see them or not no big deal..

• Hard to think lots were getting full potential when lots are up and gone in a matter of minutes in a very limited venue such as the BST.

• Some of us feel the BST for a card collection like this may not have been the best option, not our choice either nor do we ultimately care (speaking for myself) but we should not be vilified for voicing an opinion on this topic started by Steve on a public forum in a respectful manner.

• Why care about maximum value, Steve made a point as part of the sales pitch it was for Granny’s golden years and assisted living. Anyone who’s been thru that fun part of life with mom or dad can surely be sympathetic or might even respect the points/questions on sales prices & timelines made by Greg, Phil or I to be a good thing for both parties not an evil thing.

• Steve made it clear not really in this for the warm and fuzzies “I’m getting juice and cards I want at a discount”. Not that he cares but I respect him a lot for being up front on that hell of a lot more than most folks stand up in my book. Also nobody at least not me is painting him as villain for this, but also not sure he should be raised up as a hero for this either. I don’t see any of you guys praising any other auction houses or business for doing what they are being compensated for as something so special.

Finally I have no dog in this fight I’m not after any of these cards in a hardcore way in the T206 department I’m doing ok. Sure it would have been nice to be able to toss an offer in before the egg timer went off but no biggie.

If Steve wants to sell these for $1 card not my problem good on him…just with the whole story about assisted living. Having been thru that with my grandmother and seeing others go thru that ugly mess every penny can count. Shame on us for giving any advice that we found to be helpful, to the good cause and back story this was flown under.

In the end its no surprise the folks who are saying it’s great are the ones who are buying, and the others are folks who wish they could buy.

I also found it really funny that many of the folks here who jumped my case on using the “A” word (auction house) over the BST that the BST was the way to go…have had different views over the years. To me this was as much about the validity of the BST vs. auction houses and not so much about Steve and his beantown cards.

This forum is littered with folks who have come on here with less significant finds and the responses were quite different. These folks from the past were given a virtual laundry list of who’s who in the auction world..not too many BST recommendations.

Heck even our illustrious leader (Hi Leon, dont let the word illustrious go to your head ) had a falling out and monumental pissing match with a fellow past forum member when that member got mad at our moderator for recommending and standing by his recommendation to use a particular auction house for the Skydash collection….which by the way didn’t hit the BST in 3 hour lots. LOL

I found it humorous that folks would say "how can you assume he’s not getting good coin?" The flip side to that is "how can you assume he is?" or that other options wouldn’t be valid or worth tossing out in a discussion thread.

Remember he’s making money off this community and is happy doing so and that’s cool, but if the worst thing is a few community members offer up some advice or a complaint that’s part of the bag and doesn;t make you a victim.

After all it is a web community correct?

Cheers,

John
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
J@son M1ller

Default just one other point

I'm going to bring up a point since it hasn't been made yet (I don't think).

There is a bit of a gamble here that is in play. The pictures aren't great, no closeups of the big lots, can't even make out the wording on the names of the cards. So, when people are tossing in their bids, they have a bit of a gambler aspect to them. The "hey, if there's one rarity in there..." feeling.

I don't think you get that with full disclosure, auction house listing and time.

So, just keep that in mind. I think the speed and way that these have been unfolded might seem haphazard but actually have a bit of finesse deeper than it appears at first sight.

This kind of find attracts its own attention and excitement beyond what an auction creates. People want a piece of a big find and hope to unearth a rarity. An auction house would clearly examine and define and bring that rarity to the forefront.

If every lot has the possibility of containing that rarity, wouldn't they sell higher than a defined and known entity? Wonka is right in that each lot would probably sell higher in an auction if you look at the surface, but if one card in every lot is a golden ticket, doesn't that change the game?

Steve's no dummy, though, so I'm sure these lots have been through examination and even he says that most of the money has been made "off-line" through local sales. He's a good salesman and knows what he has.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

"Steve's no dummy, though, so I'm sure these lots have been through examination and even he says that most of the money has been made "off-line" through local sales. He's a good salesman and knows what he has."

Jay I agree I don't think Steve's missing cards or getting burned. But now I'm even more confused, this is what makes me think Steve may be missing some cash. I’ve been on a tear as of late buying cards and pretty significant $ cards at that.

I missed the only really EX or so lot listed because it was up and gone in hours. Now I have been patiently waiting per Steve’s direction to hang in there if you will more to come. But from the sound of Steve’s statement above it sounds as the bulk of the bigger dollar stuff, the very stuff I would be interested in was sold offline?

Steve, will there be any significant dollar higher end lots EX+ or better lots for sale in the BST in the near future? Will there be any oddballs/obscurities or scarce cards Demmit, O’Hara in EX+ listed in the BST. Tougher backs BL, Brown Old Mill, Lenox any of these? Or has most of this been brokered offline.

Not busting your chops just would love to be able to offer coin too but it’s hard to do so not knowing what is available and when it may come, and for these reasons is why I think you may be missing out just a bit.

That’s all I’m saying.

John
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default now that I agree with....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
"Steve's no dummy, though, so I'm sure these lots have been through examination and even he says that most of the money has been made "off-line" through local sales. He's a good salesman and knows what he has."

Jay I agree I don't think Steve's missing cards or getting burned. But now I'm even more confused, this is what makes me think Steve may be missing some cash. I’ve been on a tear as of late buying cards and pretty significant $ cards at that.

I missed the only really EX or so lot listed because it was up and gone in hours. Now I have been patiently waiting per Steve’s direction to hang in there if you will more to come. But from the sound of Steve’s statement above it sounds as the bulk of the bigger dollar stuff, the very stuff I would be interested in was sold offline?

Steve, will there be any significant dollar higher end lots EX+ or better lots for sale in the BST in the near future? Will there be any oddballs/obscurities or scarce cards Demmit, O’Hara in EX+ listed in the BST. Tougher backs BL, Brown Old Mill, Lenox any of these? Or has most of this been brokered offline.

Not busting your chops just would love to be able to offer coin too but it’s hard to do so not knowing what is available and when it may come, and for these reasons is why I think you may be missing out just a bit.

That’s all I’m saying.

John
Now that part I agree with. It would be nice if the better stuff was also posted, not just what has been picked through and sold before we see the lots. But that is just the collector in me and Steve can do what he wants. I think any collector would feel the same way. I doubt the brokered lots were steals but it would be nice to see the lots BEFORE someone else grabbed the best stuff. See John, we can agree on some things
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Leon,

We agree on more than you know, now if we can agree on a place to eat in Oaks and bet on how long it will take Dan McKee to order something healthy and then eat my fried plate of food over drinks will have even more in common. You owe me fried fish McKee!

I'm not looking for deals either I want Steve and the old lady to bank here if they can I love capitalism!

If it's good stuff I will pay good cash there are many folks on here that can back me up on this statement.

We normally don’t discuss or ever type this type of info on here...but this past month alone we dropped 20k or more on about 5-7 cards all T206s. I also am following Steve's lead which was to hang in there stuff is coming, don’t chase me wait your turn and offer I respect that.

So I hang back, my first concern which I and Greg raised was something we would bid on hits the BST and is gone while I'm taking a guy like you to lunch Leon.

Now my second concern or confusion is I keep hitting the BST waiting for that higher end lot and it may not be coming, and I and others who the only way we can follow this sale is via the BST never even got a chance to offer. Never going to claim I will beat all prices or win everything but I can 100% guarantee that I would make that much more expensive for the next guy if given the chance and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Hope this makes sense. On separate note kudos and congrats to Steve having had a big find as a kid of around 1500+ T206’s it’s really something to pour over them when they are like that. It really is something I wish happens to everyone on here at least once in their lives. I also hope Steve does do really well out of this not just the elderly lady. No sour grapes or anything and any of you reading that into any of my posts here just don’t know me very well. Both parties here can win, my only hope is that all lots are being seen by folks who can help make the winning situation better for both.

To quote Charlie Sheen…I want Steve to continue to be bi-winning a win here and win there.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Leon you need a pickup from the airport just let me know.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-02-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Edited for Rob D. LOL to funny Rob.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Patrick N.

Default Hard to know

Hard to know if the out of focus bird's eye pic of the cards has hurt or helped the sale $'s.. Some of the most successful "large vintage finds" on eBay seem to benefit from leaving out information or omitting good scans and it seems like there is always the buyer who wants "strike gold" and ends up overpaying...

At the same time, if you were to show a close-up of every card and disclose every crease, etc. than it is unlikely you would a "homerun" in terms of an offer as people could calculate to the "t" (pun intended) the value of each card...Plus the seller has admitted time is a factor here.

At the end of the day, the seller is reasonable to solicit offers on a huge lot like this and providing the story is an acceptable sales technique...Also, if the seller is reading this and has a single Hindu Brown to sell me plz send me a PM

Last edited by mintacular; 04-02-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
I normally don’t brag or ever type this type of info on here...but this past month alone I dropped 20k or more on about 5-7 cards all T206s.
I can give you the number of a good exorcist if/when you decide you're tired of Bruce living inside your body.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Now that part I agree with. It would be nice if the better stuff was also posted, not just what has been picked through and sold before we see the lots. But that is just the collector in me and Steve can do what he wants. I think any collector would feel the same way. I doubt the brokered lots were steals but it would be nice to see the lots BEFORE someone else grabbed the best stuff. See John, we can agree on some things
I have no problem if Steve is only using the BST for the leftovers (leftovers were nice lots!). It is the way in which they had been offered which I suggested could have been done differently whereby assuring himself the most money for the consignor through the BST venue. That he may have sold the premium or better condition material privately is his prerogative. The material which was being made available to us red headed step-children was available for a very limited time and made unavailable in a very unconventional and unpredictable fashion.

The BST is a convenient, flexible and economical choice to move material but it is not as widely viewed as other venues are so it would reason that someone selling would want to leave up “open offer” type lots for as long as possible to ensure they have gotten the most from the limited collector base viewing the offering. Steve must have had minimum prices in mind he would take otherwise how would he know to sell the lots? As John pointed out, it is not like we all flock to the BST to move our goods or suggest it to others as a first choice in liquidating.

I would have liked a chance to make offers on some of the stuff he had up but I do not get bent out of shape over stuff like this. Just means I have that cash for other items being offered. Not like material is in short supply right now. But with that said, many of you have come here to defend Steve (totally unnecessary) and corroborate that lots were sold for top dollar. Why not share what you paid for your lots or what you know lots sold for? Steve obviously had prices in mind he would take for the lots, but chose not to post that and now lots have sold for good money but nobody will state what they paid.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I can give you the number of a good exorcist if/when you decide you're tired of Bruce living inside your body.
We can and we will, perhaps I should have said we have spent...but if I use we then there are two of us and the total doubles right?

Rob are you saying... "Never go full Bruce...you never go full Bruce."

LMAO, America's New Toughest Wantlist.

It was a tough call, you have to leave your family behind to focus on the the Toughest Wantlist not easy. Also the intiation ceremony is rough I met the Bruces in the office but after hours of explination and learning the lost arts of the list I'm now almost ready to use "we"...almost.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-02-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Why not share what you paid for your lots or what you know lots sold for? Steve obviously had prices in mind he would take for the lots, but chose not to post that and now lots have sold for good money but nobody will state what they paid.

I can't say what any other lot cost but the E90-1 lot of 32 was 2385 delivered..(still on it's way but I know it will be here soon)

Last edited by Leon; 04-02-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: tried to fix it
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default I'll share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
But with that said, many of you have come here to defend Steve (totally unnecessary) and corroborate that lots were sold for top dollar. Why not share what you paid for your lots or what you know lots sold for? Steve obviously had prices in mind he would take for the lots, but chose not to post that and now lots have sold for good money but nobody will state what they paid.
Call me crazy, but I paid over $35/card for the lot of T206s I bought from Steve.

Amended - this lot was all Piedmont, crease-free, 89% commons, no variations

Last edited by t206hound; 04-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Call me crazy, but I paid over $35/card for the lot of T206s I bought from Steve.
I don't think that's crazy- did you get the lot with the red Cobb and the Young? That's the one that had me drooling.......
Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 PM
J@son M1ller

I paid $4359 delivered for T206x135.

I consider that top dollar but condition is better than you would get in a lot of this size at an auction house. All would grade in the 3-4 range. Maybe a couple higher and a couple lower.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Matty; no cobb/young

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I don't think that's crazy- did you get the lot with the red Cobb and the Young? That's the one that had me drooling.......
Mine had a Matty, but no cobb or young.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Mine had a Matty, but no cobb or young.
Thanks-still a nice score......now that I see some of the prices, I'm glad I didn't come in with my $1,000.00 offer

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Dan Studebaker

Removed.

Last edited by dstudeba; 04-02-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Do not want to be confrontational
Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Really

Here we go again...

Steve, thanks for the lots !! Great stuff and the best is yet to come...
Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
Please stop comparing this sale to the sale of a car. There are so many differences between the two. Depending on the rules of each auction house I bid differently. I read the rules, mix in my knowledge of game theory and probability and figure out my bidding strategy. You assumed or expected somethings that didn't turn out that way and you lost.

The unknown and the absense of rules could have caused more excitement and "auction mania" than if they had been consigned to REA in their huge catalog.
I thought we were all about full name disclosure if you are posting and taking a stand in a discussion that has become a little warm over the past few days.

Second, I will compare it to buying a car because if there were no rules stated in the beginning, my comparison is that you never offer your top price right out of the gate. There is usually a negotiation back and forth and an agreed upon price reached when both sides communicate.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default name disclosure

If we are going to have spirited debates then full names should be out there....It's only fair I think...
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Dave Fa*st

edited

Last edited by asphaltman; 04-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
I thought we were all about full name disclosure if you are posting and taking a stand in a discussion that has become a little warm over the past few days.
If you would like my name please PM me.

I have removed the post.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
I think the bottom line Phil, is you've already admitted your original price was a low number...with the intent there would be some negotiations back and forth. The problem with that is Steve asked for your best offer...and this is only a guess, but say Steve got even 20 offers for LOT A. Should Steve really go back and counter all 20 people? Or should he just let the top 3-4 know they aren't quite at his high bid (which I believe is what he did), and give just those few people the chance to raise their bids.

You wanted to negotiate...and Steve didn't....and since Steve is the seller, end of story.
If Steve wants to maximize the $$, then yes he should go back and counter all 20 offers. He is getting paid to handle this sale. Even if you think that is too much to ask for 15%, then why can't he update the original post with something like, "Top Bid - $2000 - Will end tonight".

When I made my initial inquiry, I didn't hear back for a while. I assumed he was busy with other things and I would eventually hear back. But no word and then sold 4.5 hours later. Didn't get a chance to bid at all actually.

AGAIN, I thought if people were getting in on this debate we needed full name disclosure. Easy to take a stand in a spirited debate and hide.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

AGAIN, I thought if people were getting in on this debate we needed full name disclosure. Easy to take a stand in a spirited debate and hide.
You are correct on this issue Phil.

Dave and anyone else that wants to debate this- you need to have your full name out here or edit out your comments. It's only fair.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Maximum $$

Based on the ending numbers of the Huggins and Scott auction, Steve is getting great money. Do these debates mean that the auction houses should be auctioning these off individually to maximize the money for their consigners ?? Maybe so... Are we not just splitting hairs now... This has been interesting though listening to the different train of thoughts. Fun stuff, certainly not the thing that should be irritating people to this degree though. Life is way too short !!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Dave Fa*st

I thought the full name deal was meant for those who aren't known? I know Leon is familiar with Dan and myself....but like Dan I've removed my last comment and won't post on this thread again.

And Phil - all my info other than my telephone number is on the members page (edited to say some of it is out of date...)

Last edited by asphaltman; 04-03-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
If Steve wants to maximize the $$, then yes he should go back and counter all 20 offers. He is getting paid to handle this sale. Even if you think that is too much to ask for 15%, then why can't he update the original post with something like, "Top Bid - $2000 - Will end tonight".

When I made my initial inquiry, I didn't hear back for a while. I assumed he was busy with other things and I would eventually hear back. But no word and then sold 4.5 hours later. Didn't get a chance to bid at all actually.

Bottom line is that you used the wrong tactic with this particular situation. If you wanted the lot badly, you should not have come in with a low offer. Even if that's your normal practice, in this case it didn't work, so it should make you rethink your approach.

If I want something badly, I won't throw out a low offer. It may be a situation where I put my best offer out there and then they come back with a higher number and I might come up a little or I might just say, "that was my best offer". Then the ball is still in their court.

My only point is that there isn't a "one size fits all" method of negotiating. You have to be willing to change tactics, and read the situation to see how to play it. It all depends on how bad you want the item and how many other people are out to get it.

If a buyer put an offer in that is waaay below 10 other offers that have come in, common sense would say that the buyer wouldn't come up 400% to meet the other offers. Maybe that's not true in your case, but that's common sense. You offer $1000, the highest bid is $4000. Should the seller think that you're going to come up to $4100? I don't think so.

Last edited by Jaybird; 04-03-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not anymore

Quote:
I thought the full name deal was meant for those who aren't known? I know Leon is familiar with Dan and myself....but like Dan I've removed my last comment and won't post on this thread again.
Hi Dave
That is not the case. Here is a brief excerpt from the revised rules which have been in place for several months. I am seriously considering changing them to what you are saying though, and that way I can give out a name to anyone that is in the debate or situation, but not to the general public who are viewing the board. Quite honestly it's too time consuming to do it the way it's being done. That being said here are the rules as they are today (again, they are posted on the site too):

"Anonymous, where this board is concerned, implies that you are not known to the moderator or anyone else. That is not permitted on Net54baseball. However, you may remain private on the board; otherwise, as long as your post is not argumentative, controversial, confrontational, accusatorial etc.…For example you can discuss attributes of cards, sets or memorabilia and stay private. You can not say someone is an imbecile, hard to deal with, gave poor service etc…and remain private on the board. In addition to that if your opinion is that you dislike someone, hate them, can’t stand or don’t like anything about them, and you want to tell the world about it on Net54baseball, then your full name will need to be in your post. The moderator may put the posters name on the board or delete their posts, at his sole discretion, when this rule is not adhered to. Heated debates will require first and last names to be known, and made public, on the board. Contact information will be given out for legal reasons or under extraordinary circumstances at the discretion of the moderator."
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i didn't think darren's or dave's replies were that bad. is it now the case where if you're simply addressing or replying to someone else's post then you must have your full name out there?