NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2017, 01:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Jay by that definition nothing after they stopped including gum in the packs is a baseball card?

Peter S.-I agree; that's why I say it is not perfect. The other issue I see is a little more esoteric. Take two 1869 Cincinnati CdVs, one blank back, the other advertising Charwick's annual. By this definition, the latter would be a baseball card, but not the former. To me, they both are. Perhaps the definition could be improved if it was expanded some to say the card was, or could have been, used to advertise.... I would need to give it some thought. However, this is just the definition for me. I have no problem with someone else having a completely different definition.

Peter U-I agree with you also. This is just my definition. Others should make up their own mind.

Kevin-My opinion is that almost all strip cards (as opposed to cards of women stripping) are really ugly and I would never collect them.

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-25-2017 at 01:53 PM.
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
honestly who cares what Jay considers is a card and what is not? I imagine most of you...like myself will collect what we want...despite what one person thinks?
Nah, if one person thinks it thats all the matters...

However, at the National you will hear about one auction about a lone auction that is 4k higher than last sale...so in theory that final win price is based on what one person thinks...so in essence it would matter in that sense
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
honestly who cares what Jay considers is a card and what is not? I imagine most of you...like myself will collect what we want...despite what one person thinks?
I collect what I want (hence my avatar), but I am always interested in hearing other collectors' opinions on different subjects.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Especially when they are so ludicrous.

And Rob called postcards and Exhibits cards in every auction he did.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Man, you could take that to its logical conclusion and just shut down the chatboard lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Especially when they are so ludicrous.

And Rob called postcards and Exhibits cards in every auction he did.
In Rob's defense I am not sure when he said what Jay has attributed to him and no offense to Jay, but is what Jay posted exactly what Rob said?

In my opinion if it is made of paper, intended for distribution and promoting the sport of baseball it is a baseball card. Does not have to come in a box, with a product, in a wrapper or be advertising something.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Greg-it was when Rob was arguing that the 1863 Wright Grand Match ticket was the first baseball card.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Fixed for Peter
And to clarify, the card on the left is not really a card, but the one on the right is.
And the card on the right... just who is that Pipp guy?

Never heard much of him after Gehrig...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Greg-it was when Rob was arguing that the 1863 Wright Grand Match ticket was the first baseball card.
Hi Jay,

I am assuming that was a discussion that took place here? I went to do a search and it appears the search function is not working for me.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
The SGC 60 in LOTG is beautiful, but to my eye it looks quite light/white compared to Scott's posted above and reproduced here for comparison, as well as others I have seen. I suppose it could just be the scan, which is as is from the website, but the contrast is rather striking to me. Are there variations in the tints perhaps?
Many times the person or should I say the graphic artist who does the scanning for the AH works diligently to make sure the image comes out in the most flattering way. I can't tell you how many times I have recieved my auction winnings, to only discover when I got the card in hand the crease seems to be a lot bigger and deeper than what was shown in the catalog or online. The LOTG Gehrig that is currently being auctioned is a great looking card. I've seen it in person and the grade is very accurate from SGC. Hopefully it won't be crossed over.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I think the scan of the 25 Gehrig in LOTG was done with too much contrast if you look at the SGC label. Would be nice to see the card in hand but I don't think there is too much risk of someone crossing it to PSA 5 holder, but ya never know, due to the snow/surface wear. Besides like most cards, a 25 Gehrig looks much better in an SGC holder.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Many times the person or should I say the graphic artist who does the scanning for the AH works diligently to make sure the image comes out in the most flattering way. I can't tell you how many times I have recieved my auction winnings, to only discover when I got the card in hand the crease seems to be a lot bigger and deeper than what was shown in the catalog or online. The LOTG Gehrig that is currently being auctioned is a great looking card. I've seen it in person and the grade is very accurate from SGC. Hopefully it won't be crossed over.
So are you saying in hand it looks like the PSA 4 in terms of brightness/tint?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
So are you saying in hand it looks like the PSA 4 in terms of brightness/tint?
I would never make it as a grader. Something I might give a 7 will get hammered as a 4 or 5 and vise versa. With the later being more probable.

The Gehrig card we are speaking about, I did not study it and only looked at for 5 seconds.

When buying any 1925/26 exhibit I would study the brightness/tint as they are key to determine what year it is. Hopefully a graphic artist doesn't change the color tint in a scan which might make the card pop more for the catalog picture.

#Notallgraded1925exhibitsare1925
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

So you didn't study it, and only looked at it for 5 seconds, yet you assured us before the grade is "very accurate." Count me as confused.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
So you didn't study it, and only looked at it for 5 seconds, yet you assured us before the grade is "very accurate." Count me as confused.
Slow day at the law office Peter? Most of "us" know if we like a card in about 5 to 10 seconds. I just squeezed another 5 seconds in which I'm sure you picked up in being a detailed person. When you referred to "us" is that you and some loyal followers you have? Is it you representing all collectors, or is it representing you and your best friend lassie your loyal 🐶

Try not to hijack another thread or make something out of nothing.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

JC, you really should quit while you are behind.

"Us" is the board, obviously. I was referring to your post where you confidently pronounced that the grade was "very accurate."

And you must be a better man than I am, because I could never make that determination -- recall cards have a back too -- in 5 seconds. Especially about an expensive vintage card. Sure, I would know whether I liked it, but that wasn't the question. Nice attempted deflection though.

And I am not hijacking the thread at all. The thread is about 1925 Exhibit Gehrigs. We are discussing one. Indeed, you first raised the topic of the one in LOTG. Now that it is live, I posted because I was struck by the (apparent) contrast between it and others I have seen, and was interested in what people had to say. As you said you had seen the card, I asked you a perfectly reasonable question, and you begged off.

Feel free to respond with more remarks like the one about Lassie though. Very impressive.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-26-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

At the show, crappy cell phone pic but card looks good to me...

Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Jay Cee

The card looks good in Jeff's picture. I said the card looked good when I saw it in person to. Not sure what you are implying Peter other than you are confused. Maybe you got confused when I said you need to make sure to look at the color tint on all 1925/26 Exhibits as they are very tough to tell apart. Feel free to keep discussing the Gehrig.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

I was confused because I asked you what I thought was a straightforward question, whether in hand the SGC 60 looked like the PSA 4 (despite the apparent huge differences in appearance based on the scans), and instead of answering you put up what seemed to be a disclaimer that you had only looked at the card for 5 seconds.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Why should an SGC 60 look like a PSA4. Its an SGC 5 and looks like one. Whats your point?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Mike

It must look good to someone as it is currently at $ 67K
Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti

It's probably gonna go for over $100K, not too many out there especially in this grade.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Why should an SGC 60 look like a PSA4. Its an SGC 5 and looks like one. Whats your point?
You must not have read the posts leading up to it; they give the context for the question.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post
It's probably gonna go for over $100K, not too many out there especially in this grade.
Its a great card and it's in great condition. I will add IMO, that there are more ungraded exhibits than graded exhibits at this time. I'm not sure when PSA/SGC even started to grade these size cards. Many postcard/Exhibit collections are still burried and are raw. Plus collectors who like stamps or writing on the back wouldn't want to get their cards graded to just receive the Authentic or 1 rating. Yes I know the 25 Exhibit is a blank back, but I still think there are many out there still ungraded. True with a high price like over 100k might motivate some collectors to get their 25/26 Gehrig out and enjoy the wave. It's a super card regardless of grade and glad sweet Lou is getting his respect.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not sure what your basis is to say a lot out there not graded. Could be true or not. Any evidence besides a raw hunch?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Not sure what your basis is to say a lot out there not graded. Could be true or not. Any evidence besides a raw hunch?
Maybe he took 5 seconds to conduct a survey?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Been collecting a long time and know of a couple raw ones in collections including mine. Took less than 5 seconds for that and no survey needed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but TPGs have been grading these cards for how long? 10-12 years. Look at how many have been graded over the last year. They will continue to come out most likely for another 10-20 years is my guess. Still a low population on them and it shouldn't affect the market or value one bit. If anything, it will create a very popular market as they won't be the impossible dream to own.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not specific to the Gehrig, but it's one of those topics that gets debated from time to time here: how many high grade/valuable raw cards are still out there. We get opinions ranging from the romantic notion that there are countless guys still sitting on pristine raw collections and that graded cards are still a drop in the bucket, to the opposite notion that the high prices commanded by graded cards have resulted in most high grade cards being submitted already. But other than anecdotes, I don't think anyone really knows or even has an educated guess.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-26-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Funny thread. On the PSA 4 vs SGC 60, I was lucky enough to have owned both years ago, they are great 1925 examples. Gloss/tint wise they are very similar when looking at them side by side, biggest difference between the two was corner wear. I always felt both were accurately graded.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Funny thread. On the PSA 4 vs SGC 60, I was lucky enough to have owned both years ago, they are great 1925 examples. Gloss/tint wise they are very similar when looking at them side by side, biggest difference between the two was corner wear. I always felt both were accurately graded.
Thank you for clearing that up, Scott. Really shows how much difference scans can make.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Not specific to the Gehrig, but it's one of those topics that gets debated from time to time here: how many high grade/valuable raw cards are still out there. We get opinions ranging from the romantic notion that there are countless guys still sitting on pristine raw collections and that graded cards are still a drop in the bucket, to the opposite notion that the high prices commanded by graded cards have resulted in most high grade cards being submitted already. But other than anecdotes, I don't think anyone really knows or even has an educated guess.
Seems like someone has an ungraded one and knows of two others. I guess that means there are many ungraded. Ok. I'm convinced based on that. Again, not saying it's wrong. But we can all speculate.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
The '25 exhibits isn't a postcard. It is postcard-size, but not a postcard. It is blank-backed.
How about if it were just as tall, but thinner like a Namath rookie? Or does it need to be small like a T206, but no bigger than a 52 topps? Does it need stats or bios on the back? Are blank-backs "cards" in your opinion? How about redemption cards with coupons that were to be traded for ice cream? Does it need advertising, or does it have to come with gum or tobacco to be a card? With bread? With candy? In a magazine? In packs of hot dogs? Do you consider T3's to be cards? Stahl Meyer (oversized)? Or what about Old Judge Cabinets? Are those "cards?" Please tell me what a baseball card is. I thought it was cardboard images of players which were distributed to the public.
Could it be a blank backed postcard? The debate over what a card is will never be settled because it can't be...

Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Well the latest Gehrig exhibit rookie, a SGC 60, (5), just sold at LOTG for the sum of $82,419. I guess there's no dought that his card prices are holding for real