NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Default 1956 PSA question

I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. So please be gentle if I screw up or break a rule

I have a bunch (~200) of 1956 cards in what I think are decent condition. I had gotten them from my Dad and have sat on them for about 30 years. I have started to get back in the hobby and have been thinking of sending in some of the 1956 to get graded by PSA. But only wanted to send in some of the better cards.

I went through the set and picked out in the following order:
1) Cards that were more centered
2) Cards that had decent corners
3) Cards that had decent color

I then threw in some of the cards that had some more value (Ted Williams, etc)

I am wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me which ones would get the highest rating if I sent them into PSA. I had scanned them in with a decent resolution and you can zoom in pretty far (using the mouse wheel).

So guys do I have anything decent? Any guesses on the range I would get from PSA?

Thanks!!

Here is the link (Microsoft OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak6ivzoG-4Qgjlm1jcHFZDt6tcCX
Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycardguy View Post
I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. So please be gentle if I screw up or break a rule

I have a bunch (~200) of 1956 cards in what I think are decent condition. I had gotten them from my Dad and have sat on them for about 30 years. I have started to get back in the hobby and have been thinking of sending in some of the 1956 to get graded by PSA. But only wanted to send in some of the better cards.

I went through the set and picked out in the following order:
1) Cards that were more centered
2) Cards that had decent corners
3) Cards that had decent color

I then threw in some of the cards that had some more value (Ted Williams, etc)

I am wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me which ones would get the highest rating if I sent them into PSA. I had scanned them in with a decent resolution and you can zoom in pretty far (using the mouse wheel).

So guys do I have anything decent? Any guesses on the range I would get from PSA?

Thanks!!

Here is the link (Microsoft OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak6ivzoG-4Qgjlm1jcHFZDt6tcCX
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but when I use the mouse, the pics veer to the right.

From what my eyes see, I don't see any outstanding cards that would grade above a 5 with most looking to be in the 3-4 range (without seeing the backs)
It all depends on what you plan on doing with them as far as grading goes? If you are planning on selling, then get the popular players slabbed (Williams) but think hard about getting your commons slabbed due to the cost and not getting that back when you sell.
Also, do a search on here (grading) as there are many posts that discuss this.
Good luck, and welcome to the site.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:00 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I think they're nice and would grade between 4 VG-EX and 6 EX-MT. I would definitely grade the Indians with year variation card, the Williams, and a few others: Fowler, Liddle, Renna, Kluszewski (5.5?), Jeffcoat in center of picture.

Face's top right corner would drop it to a 5 or so, based on cards of mine with a similar crunched corner that won't go over EX.

Oddly enough, PSA doesn't really discount for discoloration as long as it's not stained/surface damaged. Those cards have better eye appeal, but the technical grade will be the same if the edges are a little yellowed or the image isn't as bright. Nice collection; it's up to you if you want to grade them. irv is right that sometimes the cost exceeds the benefits, but if you want to create a complete set of 1956, you've already got the lion's share.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Dave Foster

If you are looking to grade and keep for your PC, fine. If looking to grade and sell, save your $$$, as PSA charges $6-$7 per w/ a 25 card min. That's about the most you'd get for them - maybe less - selling graded, since they are mainly commons. I'd put most in vg-ex class or lower, due to the corners. May be other flaws in all that the scans don't show. Teddy is the only one I'd grade if it were mine and only becuz it's a Teddy. He'd probably only get a 3.5, tops = soft corners.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Anth.ony Ku.rash

From what I could see its mostly 4 & 5. My PSA rule of thumb is if it does not grade 7 or higher it's better to sell the cards ungraded, unless its a Mantle or a HOF rookie from the set.

Good Luck with your cards
Old 01-30-2017, 02:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default 1956 PSA question

As others have said, it depends on what you want to do with the cards. If looking to sell, there is value in having sets of things professionally graded, even if it's all a lower grade. I buy mid-grade and lower vintage cards mostly, but still like the peace of mind that grading provides if I'm buying something without being able to hold it first. On the other hand if I were you and knew that I was never going to sell the cards, I don't see much of a point in getting cards slabbed that you already concede are in mid or lower-grade shape. Cards like that can still display very nicely and project their history without being PSA 8's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-30-2017 at 02:32 PM.