NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Default Milk and the batboy

Posted By: jay behrens

Don't know if any of you saw the story where the Marlins batboy got suspended a week for taking a bet $500 to drink one gallon of milk in an hour before a game. Good to see the Veeck family has it's usual sense of humor working. Here is what has happened to the batboy:

FORT MYERS, FL (August 25, 2005) – Miracle Baseball understands how tough it can be for people to be out of work. That is why the Miracle are extending an invitation to the suspended Marlins batboy, offering him a position at Monday
night’s game at Hammond Stadium, to keep his skills sharp during his time away from the Majors.

The Miracle, Class-A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins in the Florida State League, will send a limo to Miami to pick up the youngster and his family and drive them to Hammond Stadium for the Monday night, August 29 game between the Tampa Yankees vs. Fort Myers Miracle. Not wanting the batboys skills to “spoil,” the Miracle will offer him an honorary batboy position during the game.

All kids 14 and under will receive a pint of milk upon entering the stadium. The Miracle will also have a cow at the front gates and literature will be passed out on the importance of drinking milk "Similar to a rehab stint, we want to help this kid stay on top of his game,” Miracle GM Steve Gliner “uddered”. Instead of crying over spilt milk we decided to offer him the honorary post.”

Not wanting the suspended bat boy to be penniless, empty milk cartons will be placed around the ballpark, so fans can aide the out of work bat boyduring his time away.

Miracle Baseball, owned by the Goldklang group, Marv Goldklang, Mike Veeck, Bill Murray and Jimmy Buffet are in their 14th season in the FSL. Monday night’s game begins at 7:05 p.m. with gates opening at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are $6 for box and $4 for general reserve. Fans can purchase tickets by calling 239-768-4210 or going on line at www.miraclebaseball.com. Miracle Baseball where FUN IS GOOD!!

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Funny stuff.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

He's also been offered jobs by some milk association.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

It really ticked me off when the Marlins (I hate that name, just like Dolphins - THERE IS NO PLURAL OF EITHER! What is with Miami?) suspended him. Why not suspend the jacka$$ pitcher (forget his name Beckett or whoever) who initiated the bet, or at least fine him. I really can't stand modern baseball at all. Things like this are only the tip of the iceberg. Thank God for the Dead-Ball era.

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see others have stepped up.

Bill

Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I think the Marlines are stupid for their decesion to suspend the kid. Tell me one person that would refuse $500 (other than the Marlines organization) when they don't make that much as it is. I hope the kid cashes in on this windfall and makes 100x what the bet was for. I wouldn't put it past the Marlines to can the kid after the season though since this incident has made them look like complete jackasses. I wonder if Brad Penny (Dodgers) ended up paying the kid for feeling a little guility about what happened. Are the Marlins still going to pay the batboy during his suspension?

Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

If I recall...employees betting on stadium grounds can be fined and/or fired...I even think MLB is looking at Brad Penny as well because, as we all know, they frown on any kind of betting...I see no problem fining the batboy...In every clubhouse and at nearly every entrance in MLB there is a sign saying something to the effect of "no betting allowed".

Joshua

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

It's not like gesisha or kimono.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

So would I be correct in surmising that if I saw a pod of them I would say: "look, a pod of dolphins!" or "look at that school of Marlins"?

Seriously, I am curious. For some reason it is bugging me.

Bill

Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I am a first grade teacher (as some of you know) and even I had to look this up just to be sure...

The simplest way to figure it out is this...

One dolphin, two dolphins
One marlin, two marlins

They are correct in using a plural "s"

There are some cases where it does not make sense...like one fish, two fish (there really should be no word as "fishes" even though it gets used)...

When you talk about using the groupings you are talking about a different grammatical form...

One school of marlin, two schools of marlin (not two school of marlins)

One herd of cow, two herds of cow is proper...it really is not proper to say two herd of cows or two herds of cows (actually there really should not be a word "cows" as the true plural of cow is cattle)

People wonder why english is such a hard language and the amazing ways in which it is butchered on a daily basis...and then try teaching spelling and grammar rules to six year olds and you have my daily life...

Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

You sound like plurals were (generally) as hard as--SPELLING!

You know what bugs me: the Stanford CARDINAL (NEVER use the plural). "The Cardinal were not in great form last night," etc. Sounds so pompus!

Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

But here's an example of the use of this phrase, in the true English communicative tradition of our neighbors of the East:

http://www.artoflegendindia.com/details/PSA048/

Old 08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

From what it sounds like to me is that it was a dare not a bet. I heard that if the batboy drank the whole gallon of milk and keep it down he would get about $1000. Sounds more like a dare then a bet because the boy would not lose anything if he failed.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Novotny

So now how does this suspension for milk compare to that for steroids?

Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Cows are given steroids, thus there are steroids in the milk. Makes perfect sense in Bud Seligs world.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I can't believe no one has tried to list a milk jug/carton on eBay by now stating that it was the one used in this scandil.