NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default 2016 NFL Football Cards - Anyone have a clue?

So, Topps is out of the market for the first time since 1954. I've got most of those cards, so I am disappointed that Topps is no longer there. My shelf won't look quite right. But, here are my questions:

Does anyone know what sets Panini will be putting out? If so, is there a base set that could take the place of the regular Topps set that I get each year?
Are they using the "Panini" name, or are they resurrecting other company names?
I've not really bought any of their products. Is this going to be an upgrade, downgrade, or just the same?

Also, if Topps has an exclusive deal with MLB, why does Donruss make cards (aka Panini)?

Last edited by PowderedH2O; 05-19-2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: another question
Old 05-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Tony Quinn

Panini is the only NFL licensed card company. They signed an exclusive contract last year and that's why Topps is out. To my knowledge Panini does not/will not release any of their products as a factory set so you are stuck busting boxes. I hope you like sticker autos and 1 color swatches because that's the majority of their pulls these days although I haven't opened any of this years products yet. They have released 3-4 product lines so far and have at least another 1/2 dozen planned as of right now. I have never been totally impressed with their products and can only hope that being the exclusive NFL card co. that they do a better job than in the past. That said, Topps releases in the last year were an absolute garbage sticker dump and very disappointing also.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I thought topps was still going to make cards just not with the nfl uniforms? I haven't been a fan of panini but I'll give them a chance.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I thought topps was still going to make cards just not with the nfl uniforms? I haven't been a fan of panini but I'll give them a chance.
Correct...Topps will still be making cards. Whether they will be producing cards with all of the players pictured in college uniforms or if they'll be airbrushing all of the logos out like Panini does in baseball I couldn't say for sure.

In terms of what Panini puts out. Frankly quite a bit. They do have a few...what I would call "core products" that they do every year though that might be worth looking into in terms of set building.

If you're just looking for a set to put together that would be relatively cheap but have a decent size to it in terms of card count with a lot of different players represented including all of the new rookies, your best bet would probably be the Score set. To my knowledge, they don't release a factory sealed set of this product, however it is a low end product that will consist primarily of just the base cards so hand collating a set would likely not be terribly difficult if you bought a couple boxes of packs. It's one of the few products Panini puts out (maybe the only one?) where the focus is not the "hits"

If you like the idea of doing a rookie autograph set or something along those lines, I'd recommend Contenders.

And if you like the color refractors and parallels made so popular by Topps Chrome, then I'd recommend Panini Prizm (which was basically created specifically to compete with Chrome and has a very similar setup with all of the colored refractor variations etc.)

hope this helps.

*edit* another note: Panini recently for whatever reason has decided to start releasing two different Contenders products each year and also 2 different Prizm products. The products this year are called "Contenders Draft Picks" and "Prizm Collegiate Draft" all of the cards in these sets feature players in their college uniforms. folks who are big college football fans like them and will go after them, but folks who are more NFL fans will be much better served waiting for the Contenders and Prizm products that release later in the year with players in their NFL uni's.
1954 Topps Raw Set: 219/250 (87.60%)
1955 Topps Raw Set: 192/206 (93.20%)
1956 Topps Raw Set: 267/340 (78.53%)
WTB thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221389

Last edited by mid50sbaseball; 05-20-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Jay Shelton

When Topps produces football cards presumably this year, they will have to airbrush out logos on the helmets, etc., so how would this be any different than what they did for their football cards from 1970-81? If that be the case, I assume collectors that collected Topps football in the "airbrush decade" would have no problem buying any new product. I remember in 1979 that Topps did not totally airbrush out the Rams horn helmet decals but only the end of the round curving tip...

Would there be more acceptance from collectors regarding Topps airbrushed football cards as opposed to the current Donruss (Panini) airbrushed baseball cards, which (from reading on the forum) most collectors don't like?

Last edited by Jayworld; 05-26-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Rich Klein

Panini's base brand the last few years has been their "SCORE" brand in Football. If you are looking for that type of set, then I would go and buy those boxes

Rich
Old 05-29-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Panini's base brand the last few years has been their "SCORE" brand in Football. If you are looking for that type of set, then I would go and buy those boxes

Rich
Hope this isn't a dumb question. I recently just started collecting cards again after a 15+ year gap and I really like the panini card brand. I like the autos and patches, etc. Is there a reason most people don't seem to like them?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2016, 09:38 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, people would prefer Topps cards because many have collected Topps for a long time. People hated Panini products because they weren't licensed to show team names and logos.
Now that Panini has the full license from the NFL, it should have a better product. Before they had to airbrush out the logos or crop images oddly. They also produce a ton of jersey cards from "player-worn" events. So people that want real NFL jerseys worn during games hated getting cheaper jersey pieces than they expected.
Panini has also had some major flubs of big money projects like "Flawless" where they used non-NFL jerseys for Russell Wilson game worn cards that were obvious fakes. You can read more about it on www.blowoutcards.com/forums in the football section if you search.

But the major reason, is that people have grown up collecting Topps. So the resale market tanks because the cards aren't Topps, even though they're now officially licensed and sometimes even have the logos of the college teams.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yes, people would prefer Topps cards because many have collected Topps for a long time. People hated Panini products because they weren't licensed to show team names and logos.
Now that Panini has the full license from the NFL, it should have a better product. Before they had to airbrush out the logos or crop images oddly. They also produce a ton of jersey cards from "player-worn" events. So people that want real NFL jerseys worn during games hated getting cheaper jersey pieces than they expected.
Panini has also had some major flubs of big money projects like "Flawless" where they used non-NFL jerseys for Russell Wilson game worn cards that were obvious fakes. You can read more about it on www.blowoutcards.com/forums in the football section if you search.

But the major reason, is that people have grown up collecting Topps. So the resale market tanks because the cards aren't Topps, even though they're now officially licensed and sometimes even have the logos of the college teams.
Ok that makes sense thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Has their been an official announcement that Panini will NOT put out a base, boxed set?

Or is it just opinions of the board?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Rich Klein

Panini rarely does boxed factory sets. If that is what you are waiting for, the odds are against you.

But if you want to have fun, wait for their Score brand to hit and buy those packs. Usually a lot of players, nice mix of inexpensive inserts and a set which can be completed.

Rich