NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM
J@son.K

Default MLB and Steiner holograms

I know there are other posts on here regarding the mlb and Steiner holograms, but I wanted some expert opinions on what you think of the following:
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=160186

Legendary auctions had this team ball signed by the '04 RedSox up and there was a Steiner hologram and MLB hologram. When I looked up the MLB hologram (MR 709024) on their website, it shows that it's a WS ball signed by Pedro Martinez only. Is it possible that MLB is off on their descriptions?

The signatures appear to be authentic as I've compared this to my other RedSox team balls, but was curious why the hologram description was off on MLB's website. Plus, it almost looks like the sticker was tampered with on the top but from other commentators on here, aren't they hard to peel off of balls?
Also, the Steiner hologram doesn't appear to have a number so I was wondering if there are cases of Steiner holograms on fake items.

Any opinions out there would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM

I have a Hank Aaron Steiner ball somewhere. I don't think there was a number on the hologram but I'll check.

Last edited by packs; 11-22-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I know there are other posts on here regarding the mlb and Steiner holograms, but I wanted some expert opinions on what you think of the following:
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=160186

Legendary auctions had this team ball signed by the '04 RedSox up and there was a Steiner hologram and MLB hologram. When I looked up the MLB hologram (MR 709024) on their website, it shows that it's a WS ball signed by Pedro Martinez only. Is it possible that MLB is off on their descriptions?

The signatures appear to be authentic as I've compared this to my other RedSox team balls, but was curious why the hologram description was off on MLB's website. Plus, it almost looks like the sticker was tampered with on the top but from other commentators on here, aren't they hard to peel off of balls?
Also, the Steiner hologram doesn't appear to have a number so I was wondering if there are cases of Steiner holograms on fake items.

Any opinions out there would be appreciated.
It is possible it was signed by Pedro in person in front of MLB and the others were obtained later
Old 11-22-2013, 01:06 PM
J@son.K

Yeah, I was thinking that would be the only logical reason. But the similar inks seem to point to a same signing session. I was wondering if MLB could just mess up on their end. I've seen quite a few "lazy" mlb hologram descriptions on their website where they leave out a bunch of players and accurate descriptions, so was wondering if this was just another case. Plus, I'm wondering if Steiner hologram stickers have been known to be placed on items that were never really certed by them.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that would be the only logical reason. But the similar inks seem to point to a same signing session. I was wondering if MLB could just mess up on their end. I've seen quite a few "lazy" mlb hologram descriptions on their website where they leave out a bunch of players and accurate descriptions, so was wondering if this was just another case. Plus, I'm wondering if Steiner hologram stickers have been known to be placed on items that were never really certed by them.
I know Steiner and MLB have a few partnerships. I would not be surprised if they "team up" on certification, since Steiner is the bigger name in terms of Sports Memorabilia (which is odd but true)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Don't those randomly and sloppily placed stickers kind or ruin the aesthetics of the Ball?

I know that's not the point of this thread, but those are not at all attractive

On a separate note, I would tend to believe the other players signed it after Pedro. I believe the circular MLB Hologram would show greater wear and creasing than that, if actually removed from another piece. Just my opinion...
Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Don't those randomly and sloppily placed stickers kind or ruin the aesthetics of the Ball?

I know that's not the point of this thread, but those are not at all attractive

On a separate note, I would tend to believe the other players signed it after Pedro. I believe the circular MLB Hologram would show greater wear and creasing than that, if actually removed from another piece. Just my opinion...
I think their stickers are like other TPAs aka destroy the sticker and make item they are affixed to look like crap when they are removed
Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Steve Zarelli

Looks like a typical Steiner ball with the weak blue ink. If I was conspiracy minded I'd think that they intentionally used the worse, weakest ink on earth just so you'd have to buy another one in 5 years.