NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default Need Some Opinions

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Would you soak these photos off the paper if they were yours? They come from Dazzy Vance's family, but I don't believe the handwriting is his - I compared the writing to his signatures that I've found on the net.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I would steam them off from the back with an iron.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Mike, that is actually one sheet with 4 photos on each side....I'm pretty sure the only way they are coming off is by soaking.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Why don't you want to leave the album intact?

Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

The page is too large to fit into a plastic album page and I like to display my photos as singles. Probably an OCD thing, but I like my photos organized in plastic sheets inside albums.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Funny... I think we collectors all have OCD, to some degree. I have dumped a number of great pieces, just because I tried to fix something, made it worse, and then could not stand to look at it anymore.

Wish I knew more about soaking photos, and the potential damage... my suggestion would be to experiment first with the photo(s) you value the least, and then take it from there.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

I like the original writing on the black album pages...but I know all about the OCD thing.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Well, I just decided since they are only glued at each corner that I might be able to get a steak knife in there and get them out and the first one popped off pretty easily and to my surprise the names were on the back of the photo so I think I'm going to take the rest off as well.

edited to add: one of the unnamed players is Cotton Knaupp who had a brief career with the Cleveland Naps in 1910-11. In 1916 he turned the only unassisted triple play in Southern Association history for New Orleans.

edited to add: Joe Martina who also made a brief MLB appearance in 1924 with Washington is pictured on pic #2 that I've removed. Not regretting the removal at this point.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

The guy on the top row, second from the right, reminds me a bit of Joe Jackson...same stance, even facially. But of course it's not.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Maybe it is Joe playing under an assumed name for the 1921 Pelicans. Nah, that one is identified as Manager Johnny Dobbs who played in the major leagues from 1901-05.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Photobucket

Wally Pipp!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

OCD? You guys need a psychologist. I agree with Mark. Leave it alone. Its provenance is as intriguing as the items themselves. I have seen some pinbacks that were so obviously doctored as to be laughable. The dealer had a good pinback, but it was missing the springpin. So he adds a springpin from some other pinback that had a different diameter. Then he adds a crisp new R/W/B ribbon to hang below the pinback, cut with pinking shears so the edge of the ribbon is now so sharp it almost draws blood from your finger. To complete the illusion, a plastic charm made many years after the pinback was made now dangles below the pinback. I would gently ask the dealer about the unusual combination of "visual accessories" that were attached to the pinback. The answer is always the same: "I dunno, that's the way it came when I got it" (often at an "estate sale"). I'm a pin guy, not a paper guy, but I say keep it as you found it.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Too late Paul. I removed one as it was rather easy to remove and noticed that the names of the players were written on the back so I removed the rest and all players were identified.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

See, I guess that's why I'm just a pin guy.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

That type of old black photo album paper is usually very soft, and removal shouldn't be overly difficult.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

If you decide to take them off the pages, then I would recommend you have a conservator do it. Also, even if you decide to keep them on the pages, I would still recommend you have a conservator examine the item. It is possible the pages contain chemicals that over time could denigrate the condition of the photos. If that is the case and you still want the photos to stay as they are, then a conservator can install a protective layer between the photos and pages.

EDITED to add that if I had the item I would want the photos to remain on the pages.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Oyster Joe Martina...one of the ugliest men to play the game! Apparently he went searching for dental hygiene products at Joe Jackson's Liquor Store, only to come up empty-handed, thereby giving up his quest. It's crazy.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

Just for reference purposes - my wife does scrap booking and uses this stuff to remove a glued picture - the only warning she said - be careful to keep it off the front of the picture.

edit: sorry - it's called Un-du

mike

Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Technically speaking, a conservator would likely recommend the photos be removed, as the album paper and glue is acidic.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Broome

Good luck finding Un-Du, it was pulled from the shelves in Aug. 07.
The ingredient that makes Un-Du undo things (Heptine) apparently is some bad stuff.
The company is reformulating the stuff and is supposed to be back out on the market. The $4.99 bottles get close to $30 on the 'bay.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Administrator

See why I just collect pins?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

With antique paintings and prints in original wooden frames, the conservators often recommends the painting be removed as the acidic wood may be damaging the painting. They may recommend a new frame and matte or, if you really like the original frame, acid free rematte the art and put it back in. So keeping something in original state is not always what a conservator would recommend. Even if the owner wanted them to remain in the album for aesthetic purposes, the conservator would still recommend the photos be removed, fixed up and put back with acid free backing.

In short, I don't think a conservator would find anything amiss about removing the photos and removing any back glue.