NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default 1948 NAPBL photo

Posted By: Jerry Rucker

I won this on ebay the other day, I haven't recieved it yet. I realize this is a minor league meeting but I was hoping to find a few familar faces in the crowd. Can you recognize anybody from the blurry scans in the auction?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360022417581&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default 1948 NAPBL photo

Posted By: Steve Murray

There's Waldo!!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default 1948 NAPBL photo

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't see anyone recognizable right off the bat just from looking at the auction, but looks like mostly old dudes, most likely owners and GM's from most of the minor league teams in 1948.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default 1948 NAPBL photo

Posted By: bobw

Thats a cool photo. When you receive it ,you should post some clear photos and we can have some fun trying to recognize anyone.

Like Dan said , probably execs and GMs.

Here's an AP article from the meetings:

Trades Of Majors Hog Spotlight At Minor Loop Meet

By JOE REICHLER
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn., Dec. 8. AP)

Today was the official opening of the forty seventh annual minor league convention, but as usual, it was the majors who hogged the spotlight, as far as any important baseball news was concerned.
Trade rumors here in the lobby of the Nicollet Hotel flew thicker than the snow flakes which blanketed the streets outside. Out of all this potpourri emerged several deals which smacked of authenticity. One or two are almost cerain of being completed before the magnates move on to Chicago for the big league meetings next week. The others probably will be announced
in the Windy City.
A member of the official family of the New York Giants said he expected to announce a "big trade before the day is over. Although he refused to say who or what club was involved, he promised a pretty good story."

Cooper, Mlze On Block

It is known that Manager Leo Durocher is eager to palm off his big catcher, Walker Cooper, and his slugging first baseman, Johnny Mize. Bob Hannegan. president of the St. Louis Cardinals, is openly nterested in Cooper, especially if the latter's knee operation proves a success. Pitchers Red Munger and Murry Dickson figure prominently in such a deal.
General Manager Frank Lane of the rebuilding Chicago White Sox. The busiest "David Harum" of the big leagues thus far —he has already completed four deals with rival major league clubs —said he was hopeful of closing a couple of deals for third baseman Bob Dillinger of the St. Louis Browns and first baseman Eddie Robinson of the Cleveland Indians.
I talked with Billy Dewitt (general manager of the Browns) over long distance telephone several days ago, the live wire White Sox official said last night. "I asked him if he would set a price on Dillinger. He replied 'yes, $100,000 and three players.
"Hardly-before the last word was out of his mind, I said okay on the dough, now what players do you have in mind?' He named our centerfielder. Dave Philley. I asked "who else?' Instead of answering he said he'd discuss it with me in person tomorrow. So here I am. If he doesn't ask for too much, you can expect Dillinger to wear a White Sox uniform next season.

Veeck Is Encouraging

Lane said he had talked with Bill Veeck, owner of the Cleveland Indians, on the possibilities of acquiring Robinson. "Bill told me Robby can be had," Lane said. I don't know whom he would demand from me in exchange for Robinson. Lane also disclosed that he had made overtures for third baseman Billy Johnson, first baseman Steve Souchock and pitcher Allie Reynolds of the New York YanKees.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default 1948 NAPBL photo

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I would not be surprised if Connie Mack is hidden somewhere in that photo. He owned all of the Athletics minor league clubs in 1948.