NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Posted By: Joe D.

So, I see an item on eBay that I think was reconstructed (will not grade). But considering my limited knowledge of the tolerances/differences of the card issue I could very well be way off.

Should I question real or fake for a live eBay auction?

Or wait until it is over?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Posted By: leon

You might email a few friends about it and ask them privately.....Certainly your call but if you "out" an auction you might cost yourself money. No rules against it though....Your call

Old 09-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Leon,

I've already decided not to bid on it because it looks too fishy to me.

So, I am not worried about losing out on the item.

I just don't want to out a live auction (if I am wrong) - and would hate to see someone here waste money on it (if I am correct).

If any golf collectors want to know what auction I am talking about - just email me.

I guess thats the best way to handle it.

Regards,
Joe

Old 10-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Well - the auction in question is over.

And through email correspondence with a few of you....

I now believe the card to be genuine. A fellow golf collector was able to show me a PSA graded example that was very similar to the one in the eBay auction.

I originally thought the card might have been an arts and crafts project... where the photo of old tom was cut out of one card and put onto a pristine one. I thought this because the card had some differences from my example (left and right photo borders, wording positioning on card). But it seems there are legit variances in this issue.

so, I now say real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200155527947&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Posted By: Mark M

Wow, that was some spirited bidding.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Posted By: dennis

if the winner would have used a snipe service he may have saved himself a ton of money!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

also picked up the PSA 5 of that same card.

(a card I had my eye on)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200158279603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

so who is "anaboss"....

he or she should post here.
The more / the merrier.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Posted By: Dave Johnson

I doubt you will here from Anaboss...even when he has won my auctions he is pretty secretive.

Trust me it is a real card. The main problem on the Ogdens is the grading consistency. I have had very nice cards come back PSA 4-5 and ones that I thought were a bit rough come back in the 6-7 range.

Ogdens have black borders, which are very prone to chipping. They also often are found to be re-colored....those are the two issues to look out for.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

I am kind of kicking myself on the second auction -

The PSA 5.

I would have liked to upgrade mine.

Although, who knows how high it would have gone -- anaboss might have had a big high bid in.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake?

Posted By: Scott S

I had mentioned to Joe D. previously about my previous transaction with the same seller, when I purchased two very sharp Ogdens (both were Vardon / Braid versions). I sent them to PSA and both came back re-colored. I looked these over up and down and don't see where they were re-colored, and they'll be on their way to SGC shortly for a second opinion. But the fact remained that a purchase from the same seller came back re-colored, so it did leave me with a bit of question on the Morris.