NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Need help on valuation? 1955 Ashland Oil Basketball

I guess a gentleman stumbled on our site, as many do, and asked me this question, which I am not sure of the answer for him. Can anyone help?

"I have 8 of the 1955 Ashland Oil basketball cards but do not know their value. I have two of Joseph Mikez, Jr. of Murray,E.C. two of William Evans of Kentucky,one has a oil stain in upper right hand corner,two of George Orr of Western,one with a slight stain and crease,one of Victor Harned of Western,E.C. and one of Jerry Whitsell of Western with a crease. Thanks,

Wayne"
Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Ashland

Hi Leon,
I'm looking at the 2009-10 Beckett Basketball Almanac. It shows NM 1955 Ashland/Aetna Oil at $25-$50 for Near Mint cards.

Orr, Harned, and Whitsel are commons, Mikez and Evans are $40-80,
and I don't see a Murray in this set.

Of course, they would be much less in the condition that is described.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Phil

Leon,

I would look to the beckett almanac for the base price. However, being in the trenches looking for these cards, I can tell you that most collectors put a premium on the cards depicting players of the West Virginia schools (Marshall College and West Virginia University). University of Kentucky and University of Louisville, as these were the "big schools" in the area where the gas stations were located which gave the cards away, command about $25 to $50 (excluding Adolph Rupp).

There was a Murray State College in the set, and those cards are pretty rare, as the Kentucky schools go.

The best article which I have read that cover these cards is from a May 2004 issue of Beckett basketball. Below is a link to that article.

http://www.jeffreymullen.com/publications.htm

Also, supposedly the Aetna Oil backs are more rare than the Ashland Oil backs. However, I have seen plenty of both for the Kentucky schools.

Hope this helps.

Phil
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Thanks Rick and Phil

Phil- looks like ya'll have made contact which was the whole idea here. I am only (personally) marginally interested in basketball cards but I know other board members collect them AND all board members are good board members . Glad to try to help....ya'll take care and good luck!!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Phil

Leon,

Thanks for your help. Though I don't post much here, and have limited knowledge of vintage baseball, everyone I have communicated with who is in any manner associated with this forum has been a class act. The forum has been an invaluable resource for me in my efforts to learn more about the pre-war baseball issues--I appreciate all efforts in making this thing run!

Phil