NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default The Curious Case of Curt Flood

Has anyone watched this documentary on HBO? I saw it last night and was really surprised how much stuff I didn't know about him as a player or in his personal life. I think it's worth a look if you get the chance.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM

It is one of those docs where you can't figure out why film was wasted on a man and you come out of it going 'wow, that was incredible'. I felt so bad for Flood throughout. His stance was ignored, he hurt himself with his wild lifestyle, was broke throoughout (despite making $100k) and played for money not love at the end out of shape and he handled his affairs by escaping. And it was revealed that he was a fraud of a painter, that even his daughter went into denial about. It is well worth watching.

DanC

Last edited by danc; 07-17-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Johnny S

Looking forward to it, was gonna watch it a couple nights ago but ended up watching 'Bobby Fischer against the world' instead and what crazy doc that was, can't wait to see Flood as he changed MLB forever.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Dan Bretta

It was an incredible documentary...award winning if you ask me. I'd like to see some more evidence that the paintings were all frauds...there are some people who have made incredible impacts on the game in ways other than statistics, but will never be in the Hall of Fame and that's too bad.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Some of the things that really surprised me were the painting fraud, the fact that he would just take off and disappear from friends and family, and how much he was making as a ball player. Considering how much the major league minimum was back then, and how much someone like Mantle was making, I would have thought Flood was making around $15k - $20K.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM

Maybe this sounds bad, but I watched it and actually came out thinking less of the man. He was a good ballplayer who took a stance on behalf of others which was cool, but the other stuff was worse than I had originally thought. Just my two cents worth but that is how I felt when watching it. Sort of like when I went to watch my idol Jose Canseco as a kid and wished I hadn't afterwards for the way he treated me at the ballpark when I asked for his autograph (1987), I sort of wish I had not watched it but sometimes life is ugly when you have addictions and issues such as Flood.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Maybe this sounds bad, but I watched it and actually came out thinking less of the man. He was a good ballplayer who took a stance on behalf of others which was cool, but the other stuff was worse than I had originally thought. Just my two cents worth but that is how I felt when watching it. Sort of like when I went to watch my idol Jose Canseco as a kid and wished I hadn't afterwards for the way he treated me at the ballpark when I asked for his autograph (1987), I sort of wish I had not watched it but sometimes life is ugly when you have addictions and issues such as Flood.
Yeah...but it did seem as if his daughter had forgiven him...not sure why they didn't interview any of his other kids...maybe they didn't want to participate? Anyway by the end of his life he seemed to have gotten his life in order.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but will watch it reluctantly since Flood was one of my favorite players as a kid. I hope after watching it he remains a hero and not a fallen idol. Curt Flood did a card show in St. Louis many years ago. Before signing, he stopped and thanked the St. Louis fans for supporting him throughout his career. It was very sincere and I thought it was a classy move. Later as he signed a few items for me (you could do that back then for just a few bucks), I commented on the WS ring he was wearing. He took it off and asked me to try it on. That was cool. People forget what a solid ballplayer he was. Gold Glove centerfielder who could put up 200 hits in a season, and a good patient second place hitter behind Lou Brock.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Yeah, was really a good player. Great fielder. But that part about the paintings being faked bugged me. I remember not long ago in a major auction they sold a bunch of them. I was quite impressed with the quality. Almost bid on a few. Now I am bummed. But he did really give up a good part of his career for that lawsuit. As they alluded to in the documentary, players making big money today should kiss his butt. (as well as a few others)

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 07-18-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Hunt sold off the Flood Estate and many of the paintings. They sold off many of the drawings, which appearentlty he did, but nobody ever saw him work with oils, and this was supposidly done while he couldn't sleep in the middle of the night...but wasn't that when he was out chasing ladies?

I met Flood in 1991 and he could not have been nicer.

DanC
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Lance

Really good documentary. Doesn't change my opinion of Flood at all. Flawed human being like everyone else.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceRoten View Post
Really good documentary. Doesn't change my opinion of Flood at all. Flawed human being like everyone else.
Exactly
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Johnny S

Finally watched it, then caught it running so watched it again and yes great piece and didn't realize how alone he was through the whole process. He had less support than Jackie Robinson breaking into the big leagues, everyone reaped the rewards and they didn't do anything for him until his deathbed, just shows how much the athletes of yesterday were only concerned with themselves just like today, some things always stay the same.