NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-10-2016, 08:24 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Examples of HOF card earlier year cheaper than a later year card?

I noticed that 1955 Jackie Robinson PSA 8 cards sell for more than 1954 Jackie Robinson PSA 8 cards even though POP is lower for the 1954 condition

Usually the earlier the card, the more expensive it is to obtain. Some exceptions are if the POP is much rarer for the later year card or the set is much more desirable I would assume.

I would guess a Mantle 67 is cheaper than a 66, or Mays 55 is cheaper than a 54. The 1971 set i assuming with the difficult black borders, im assuming is harder to get a PSA 9 in some HOFs than in 1970 and that would be the reason for the price difference. However POP being less in the 1971 would explain this.

However, I know the 1955 Jackie is far more available then the 1954 Jackie yet it sells for more right now .

Im sure there are some Mantle collectors out there than may know of a earlier year card that is cheaper than a later year card but Im going to assume POP is thinner for the later year card..

Anyone know of any other HOF cards where the later year card is more expensive than the earlier year card of the same manufacturer even though the earlier year has less POP.

I am also going to mention I am talking about PSA 8 or better.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-10-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I noticed that 1955 Jackie Robinson PSA 8 cards sell for more than 1954 Jackie Robinson PSA 8 cards even though POP is lower for the 1954 condition

Usually the earlier the card, the more expensive it is to obtain. Some exceptions are if the POP is much rarer for the later year card or the set is much more desirable I would assume.

I would guess a Mantle 67 is cheaper than a 66, or Mays 55 is cheaper than a 54. The 1971 set i assuming with the difficult black borders, im assuming is harder to get a PSA 9 in some HOFs than in 1970 and that would be the reason for the price difference. However POP being less in the 1971 would explain this.

However, I know the 1955 Jackie is far more available then the 1954 Jackie yet it sells for more right now .

Im sure there are some Mantle collectors out there than may know of a earlier year card that is cheaper than a later year card but Im going to assume POP is thinner for the later year card..
Anyone know of any other HOF cards where the later year card is more expensive than the earlier year card of the same manufacturer even though the earlier year has less POP.

1951 Bowman is still available to those not in the 1%, but the 1952 Topps is not- even if it's been run over by a tractor!

A PSA-8 '51 would not be 'reachable' for more than a very few, but those folks would pass on the '52 and get a yacht instead...a very tripped-out yacht!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-10-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
1951 Bowman is still available to those not in the 1%, but the 1952 Topps is not- even if it's been run over by a tractor!

A PSA-8 '51 would not be 'reachable' for more than a very few, but those folks would pass on the '52 and get a yacht instead...a very tripped-out yacht!

right but im talking cards from the same company...topps to topps...not bowman to topps....so are there any 1952 topps HOF card that a later card of any year in Topps is more expensive? I don think the 1953 Hoyt Wilhem or 54 Hoy will be more expensive than the 52..

Like is there a brooks robinson card in a later year thats more expensive to get in an 8 than any earlier year in which the POP for the new year is greater? Perhaps cards that qualify for this are great candidates to buy...

but can try with other years not just 1952..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-10-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

The '67 Brooks & perhaps the '63 Killebrew. The Killer is tough to find in high grade.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
right but im talking cards from the same company...topps to topps...not bowman to topps....so are there any 1952 topps HOF card that a later card of any year in Topps is more expensive? I don think the 1953 Hoyt Wilhem or 54 Hoy will be more expensive than the 52..

Like is there a brooks robinson card in a later year thats more expensive to get in an 8 than any earlier year in which the POP for the new year is greater? Perhaps cards that qualify for this are great candidates to buy...

but can try with other years not just 1952..

A 1967 Topps Brooks in PSA-8 would probably cost more than most of the earlier Topps Brooks, and as you said, much lower quantity of the later card (in the high number series) caused this.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-10-2016, 09:41 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
A 1967 Topps Brooks in PSA-8 would probably cost more than most of the earlier Topps Brooks, and as you said, much lower quantity of the later card (in the high number series) caused this.
Right, however the Jackie in the 1955 topps , the later card has MORE quantity than the 1954 Topps yet it has sold for more in a psa 8. The 1955 goes for $2,000+ (and a recent auction of over $3000+ in that 1955 set break auction) while the 1954 hasnt touched $2000 yet for what i have seen. The POP is far less in 1954 in an PSA 8 than in 1955.

I would assume these earlier year cards that sell for less and have less POP than later year cards would be good cards to buy value wise. However i not sure if any others exist
Old 07-11-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Right, however the Jackie in the 1955 topps , the later card has MORE quantity than the 1954 Topps yet it has sold for more in a psa 8. The 1955 goes for $2,000+ (and a recent auction of over $3000+ in that 1955 set break auction) while the 1954 hasnt touched $2000 yet for what i have seen. The POP is far less in 1954 in an PSA 8 than in 1955.

I would assume these earlier year cards that sell for less and have less POP than later year cards would be good cards to buy value wise. However i not sure if any others exist
Another possible reason for the 1955 Robinson having more 'market value' is that 1955 was THE year for Brooklyn Dodgers' Fans!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I have noticed some things with my Beehive hockey cards. Unlike Baseball cards and the stars being very popular and pricey, my Beehive prices are based on the numbers that exist only.

One would think such stars as Howe, Sawchuk, Apps, Kennedy, Clapper to name a few would carry a premium but they don't based on how many that exist.

The most expensive card in the set, (that I have learned) is a Cy Wentworth in a Montreal CDN's sweater.
The last copy sold for over $8000 dollars and only so based on the very low numbers that exist. (rarest)
His first card was in a Montreal Maroons sweater but because (assumed) most already had this copy they didn't choose the copy when the Maroons became the CDN's.

There are also some short prints of other cards, which carry a premium compared to others, but none are remotely close to the price of Wentworth's in a CDN's sweater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1655.jpg (69.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.jpg (70.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1631.jpg (73.5 KB, 44 views)