NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Default 1946 Yankees ball

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

A co worker of mine brought a Yankee's team signed ball hes had in his family since 1946 in to work today and I'm here holding it.....hes wondering what its worth The story is, his aunt worked in Panama in 1946 and a co worker of her's was a girlfriend of one of the Yankees who held spring training there at the time. Its a Ken-Wel official Major League, has red and blue stitching, Joe DiMaggio and Joe McCarthy on the sweet spot, and is super clean (its been wrapped in some sort of brittle celephane) condition (also has the box). Other names I can make out are Frank Hiller, Tommy Byrne, Harry Craft, Ken Sylvestri, Hank Majesky, Bill Bevens, Steve Roser, Rick Rolfe, Gus Niachas, Tom Henrich, Charlie Keller, Joe Page. It has 29 signatures total.

I wanted to add it looks like all signatures are in the same pen.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

You would have to show pics of the ball for anyone to even begin to assess a ball like that. I don't think I've ever seen a red/blue stitched Ken Wel ball - that in itself is pretty cool.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Old 02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Wow... if that isn't a Gem Mint 10 Ball, I don't know what is! That thing must have been wrapped up just minutes after obtaining the final signature. Most collectors did not have the smarts to do that back in the day. This may be the nicest-condition ball I have seen of that vintage.

Jodi (or one of the autograph gurus) can probably render a better estimate as to the value... so I'll refrain. But I believe this one could inspire quite a bidding war, if it went to market. Thanks for posting the pics!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Keith:

Even though the vintage cellophane has protected this ball throughout the years, you may now consider using an ultraviolet protective display. This way, you can display the ball and Ken-Wel Box together.

It will also protect the ball well. The vintage cello covering appears to have some browning/spotting... especially near Red Rolfe's name. There is a slight danger of this staining transferring to the ball's leather surface. I would actually remove it. Any other opinions/feedback would be welcomed!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Keith,
I agree with Mark that is one of the nicest Yankee balls I have seen in a long time.Very clean no doubt real. Thanks for posting the pics. A great item!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Wow! That is a beauty. I know most would be attracted to the autographs, but that Ken Wel ball and box are outstanding.

I'd like to add that even though the signatures were obtained in 1946 that ball is probably from the mid 1930s or earlier.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

you are right all signatures look like they are from the same pen and it appears to be a clubhouse signature ball. I have to say the box and the ball really make this a nice collectable item.

Jimmy

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ascards

Is there any chance that that is a souvenir ball ? They could be bought at the gift stand even in the 40s and 50s.

Regardless its in remarkable shape

Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

First, get the ball out of that wretched cellophane! It actually serves as a detriment to its ultimate preservation. Secondly, it is very difficult to clearly see all the signatures. I would ask that you post updated scans sans cellophane. The "perfection" of this ball is marred with the clubhouse Joe McCarthy signature. While an active MLB manager (especially during his tenure with the Yankees), McCarthy would have others sign items on his behalf. He became a greatly accommodating signer in-person and through the mail following his retirement from the game. The appearance of a secretarial version of McCarthy's signature on team-signed Yankee balls is more common than not.

I would like to see the ball out of the plastic wrap.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

The owner of the ball will be back to work tomorrow and I will let him read this thread. If he agrees to remove the cellophane, I'll have to get a ball holder before doing it, but I'll be sure to take additional pictures and post them. Would anyone like to take a guesstimate on value so he can read that also?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

I'll be the first to throw out a guess, just for fun (and to bump this thread up again...)

Pre-cellophane removal... I will say $1,475. The cool ball and great condition help the value, but the clubhouse McCarthy brings it back down (sort of a counter-balance...) As a bidder, the clubhouse McCarthy would eat away at me.

It is also kind of inbetween the eras that command big money. Too late to have Ruth, Gehrig, Lazzeri, Pennock and Huggins.... and too early to have that early-career Mantle variation that everyone wants.

Eager to hear what others would quote... and Henry Yee is not allowed to vote