NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Anthony

Default Question about bat w/ smoke damage

I recently purchased a Mookie Wilson bat w/ a PSA LOA according to the certificate it has "smoke damage" on the handle. Does anyone have this type of damage on a bat in their collection? did this smoke damage happen when the player had the bat in his possession? I am slightly confused w/ this imperfection. The auction house said the bat came w/ a psa loa but didn't mention the smoke damage (really pisses me off). However, I really don't notice any smoke damage. I assumed the black was pine tar, bat rack marks, etc. Thanks for your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4729.jpg (74.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4723.jpg (61.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4724.jpg (49.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4726.jpg (52.9 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-30-2010, 09:38 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Seems like an odd disclaimer. I bet you could submit it to Mears, and there would be no mention of this "smoke damage.

I remember a few years ago that a vey large game-used bat collection was rescued from a house fire. I believe many of the bats were ruined, but that some also survived. Perhaps this is one of those, and PSA knew ahead of time that it was part of that particular collection. I have seen a few of these bats up for auction with far more severe smoke damage than this Mookie Wilson. Some of them were almost completely blackened.

The odd thing about yours, is that it's limited to the handle. How might that happen? It really looks more like a light pine tar application. Again... you may consider re-submitting to PSA or give Mears a try, as this perceived "flaw" seems quite minor and even trivial.

I would assume that since the auction house failed to disclose this smoke damage, you could lobby for a refund/return. Since it's described in the PSA Letter, this is something that should have been mentioned in their description.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Anthony

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. I never knew a collector had a huge collection that went up in smoke. You are probably right this bat came from his estate and PSA knew it therefore listed smoke damage. Also, I agree w/ you that there really doesn't seem to be an significant damage and if I wanted to submit it to MEARS on my own, it probably wouldn't list this imperfection. Even though I wish the auction co. had disclosed this information. just be honest and up front. Anyway, I'll hold on this bat b/c Mookie is on of those lovable Mets.