NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Heritage Platinum auction - memorabilia soft?

35 lots didn't meet reserve. Many more sold WAY under Heritage estimates. Is memorabilia softening while cards are on fire? Is Heritage that far off on their estimates? Your thoughts?
Old 08-30-2020, 12:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

This had to be their weakest auction that I can recall.

Slim pickens.

Luckily LOTG, REA, Goldin, Hunt have had plenty to choose from.

I thought SCP was weak as well, both must not be getting the consignments.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Doug Goodman

If this misleading / convoluted title and description is any indication of the average title and descriptions used, then I see why they are running "soft".

1981 World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Game Worn Jerseys (from Various Seasons) Lot of 10.

Getting hot at the right time helped push the Los Angeles Dodgers over the top in 1981. With a solid foundation of stars, the Dodgers had just the right mix for October glory. This offering features game-worn road jerseys from ten members of the team and would provide a wonderful start to getting gamers from everyone. Most weren't worn in 1981, but each jersey represents a man who enjoyed the Dodgers' remarkable run.

What's wrong with listing them as "10 random game used Dodgers jerseys 1977-1994"?

Oh wait, I know...
Old 08-30-2020, 01:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

What's wrong with listing them as "10 random game used Dodgers jerseys 1977-1994"?
Crap like that is never gonna realize much money.

Seriously, I don't think LA Dodgers collectors are big spenders. Am I wrong? I've listed what I thought was pretty good Dodgers stuff on ebay and gotten nearly zilch. Or, is it just the number of collectors...i.e. if you and Rick have it, there's no one left?
Old 08-30-2020, 01:11 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post

Seriously, I don't think LA Dodgers collectors are big spenders. Am I wrong? I've listed what I thought was pretty good Dodgers stuff on ebay and gotten nearly zilch. Or, is it just the number of collectors...i.e. if you and Rick have it, there's no one left?
Laughing out loud at about 9 different things in your post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doug-brick-1.jpg (78.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 08-30-2020, 03:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post

If there's one worse franchise of collectors, it's Angel Fans. Dodger Collectors look like Jeff Bezos, compared to those guys.

Outside of the guy who supposedly dropped $4 Million on a modern Mike Trout card, I don't think they even know there's a memorabilia market out there. Either that, or they're just too hungover to bid.

That said... the memorabilia market is still strong. Heritage either decided to focus primarily on Cards, or just didn't get a good crop of Memorabilia consignments this time around. Many segments of memorabilia are drying up fast, as opposed to mass-produced cards which are always in ample supply.

Last observation is that Heritage has increasingly absurd "pie in the sky" pre-auction estimates and reserves. So it makes perfect sense that many items would fall short. If Heritage consignors are determining their own reserves, they need a reality check.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:15 PM

cant' learn if I don't ask...so here goes

In this Heritage auction, the 1933 Goudey Ruth #181 PSA 9 (OC) card appears to have not sold and is now offered under a buy-it-now type feature.

Even if a 9 (OC) is really a 6...and given how vintage in general and Ruth in particular have performed this year... this seems really odd that it didn't sell. Is this a "known" specimen to all the advanced collectors? Suspected altered but not caught by PSA?

again, I know I am out of my depth on this one...but i am trying to get smarter on the vintage auction side of the business as I try to upgrade
Old 08-30-2020, 04:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Good questions...

Can you please provide the link?
Old 08-30-2020, 05:33 PM

lot #80008

here is the link that should contain all the details. buy it now for $72k...did not sell during the regular auction

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515
Old 08-30-2020, 08:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think the Goudey Ruth simply failed to meet a very aggressive reserve. Nothing to do with being a "known bad specimen" or suspected of being altered. Just a "no sale" based on a reserve that was set too high.

Heritage takes offers on items like this, which failed to sell in the regular auction. It's kind of like an Insurance Policy for the consignor, in which they maintain the right not to accept any offers deemed to be too low. Below is the Heritage explanation, disclaimers and all.

Taken from the HA website...

Post-Auction Buys
For Direct Sale we are accepting offers until 8:00 AM CT Monday, September 14, 2020 on this item that didn't sell in the recent 2020 August 29 - 30 Summer Platinum Night Sports Collectibles Catalog Auction - Dallas.

Ties go to the first offer received and there is no guarantee any offer will be accepted. You will be contacted by 8:00 AM CT Monday, September 14, 2020 via e-mail to let you know which offers are accepted. You will then be invoiced and your lot(s) will be shipped as if you had won them in the auction.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Laughing out loud at about 9 different things in your post.
note to self: take hammer and chisel on next trip to SF.