NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Daniel Elsass

I also like the 69 set and Piccolo has always been my favorite, despite the set having several key players. His card always reminds me to live each day to the fullest because we just never know when and where life will reach its final days. Keep one on my desk at work and one at my desk at home.

Other than that, the 67 is fascinating to me, the 62 is tough tough tough, and I really like the 63 as well. Always felt the Philadelphia sets to be undervalued and under-appreciated, they are simply loaded with stars.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
I also like the 69 set and Piccolo has always been my favorite, despite the set having several key players. His card always reminds me to live each day to the fullest because we just never know when and where life will reach its final days. Keep one on my desk at work and one at my desk at home.

Other than that, the 67 is fascinating to me, the 62 is tough tough tough, and I really like the 63 as well. Always felt the Philadelphia sets to be undervalued and under-appreciated, they are simply loaded with stars.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you find the 1967 Topps set fascinating?

I love the set for reasons I have already mentioned but curious as to why you like it.

Erik
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why do you find the 1967 Topps set fascinating?

I love the set for reasons I have already mentioned but curious as to why you like it.

Erik
The way they combined AFL and NFL players, the way the names of teams were scrunched in the upper corners, but mainly due to the coloring. It just got me when I was a kid, so 67 up to 78 Topps had me addicted.

I was born in 67 so by the time I began collecting it was 1972 and I bought up everything I could find between then and 1980/81. When baseball came out with the ridiculous 81 Donruss and Fleer sets, I was immediately out of collecting until many years later. So, during those early years there were many 67 and up cards and rarely did I see 66 or older except at shows.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Erik

Quote:
The way they combined AFL and NFL players, the way the names of teams were scrunched in the upper corners, but mainly due to the coloring. It just got me when I was a kid, so 67 up to 78 Topps had me addicted.

I was born in 67 so by the time I began collecting it was 1972 and I bought up everything I could find between then and 1980/81. When baseball came out with the ridiculous 81 Donruss and Fleer sets, I was immediately out of collecting until many years later. So, during those early years there were many 67 and up cards and rarely did I see 66 or older except at shows.
Do you mean the way the combined the AFL and NFL players in the 69 set? The 67 set was AFL only.

I did love the 69 set as it featured both AFL and NFL stars but wondered why Jack Kemp was not in the set.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Ty T.

My favorite is the '65 Topps of which I have a complete set; love the tall boys! The '62 Topps is second for me with the design, short prints, and condition sensitivity. The '67 Topps is a close third. I think it has to do with the uniqueness of the design compared to other issues from that era.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM

Im the odd guy out as well on the 65 tall Boys. They just never really done it for me.

I do like the 62's with the split photos one being a action shot, but have yet to try and build the set. Mainly because my OCD for high grade cards and those black borders are so tough.

As a Cowboys fan the Philly sets is where those cards would be. While I don't mind a simple clean design, all the philly set are like indentical, with exception of those god awful yellow border 67's

Like myself, I think many gravitate toward the colorful 69 set because it features both the AFL and NFL players.
I still need a high grade Larry Csonka to finish my set. And shame on you guys for letting this thread go this far without a single photo of your favorite sets.

The 1968 Topps set is one I feel everyone has overlooked. IT was the FIRST to feature both AFL and NFL Players and as colorful as the 69 set is, I really like the simple design and NFL logos on the 68's, I also prefer cards with borders as opposed to borderless cards.

I too love the crazy design on the 67 set, but My list:

1968 Topps
1962 Topps
1969 Topps
1967 Topps

John
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Im the odd guy out as well on the 65 tall Boys. They just never really done it for me.

I do like the 62's with the split photos one being a action shot, but have yet to try and build the set. Mainly because my OCD for high grade cards and those black borders are so tough.

As a Cowboys fan the Philly sets is where those cards would be. While I don't mind a simple clean design, all the philly set are like indentical, with exception of those god awful yellow border 67's

Like myself, I think many gravitate toward the colorful 69 set because it features both the AFL and NFL players.
I still need a high grade Larry Csonka to finish my set. And shame on you guys for letting this thread go this far without a single photo of your favorite sets.

The 1968 Topps set is one I feel everyone has overlooked. IT was the FIRST to feature both AFL and NFL Players and as colorful as the 69 set is, I really like the simple design and NFL logos on the 68's, I also prefer cards with borders as opposed to borderless cards.

I too love the crazy design on the 67 set, but My list:

1968 Topps
1962 Topps
1969 Topps
1967 Topps

John
John, if I could, I would post pictures of the sets I love but do not have the capability. Thanks though for showing the cards. I sure do love the 69 set.

And, yes, you are right, the 68 set is overlooked. I do like it and have started to put it together but it has taken a back seat to the 67 set I am working on or at least will work on once I am employed again.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Do you mean the way the combined the AFL and NFL players in the 69 set? The 67 set was AFL only.

I did love the 69 set as it featured both AFL and NFL stars but wondered why Jack Kemp was not in the set.
Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow I wrote of two sets in one sentence. 67 name scrunch, format, and coloring. 69 both leagues, format, and coloring.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Erik

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow I wrote of two sets in one sentence. 67 name scrunch, format, and coloring. 69 both leagues, format, and coloring.
No worries.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Dave Foster

Hadl should be in the HOF.