NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Clint

Default My impossible dream.

My impossible dream is to get a card, postcard or photo of every Kansan to make it to the major leagues up to the 1930's. Besides the obvious there are a couple of reasons that make this even more difficult than it seems. I'm not limiting this to players born in Kansas but also ones that lived here or played here at some point. This allows me to bring in players such as Buck Weaver, Jim Thorpe and Jake Beckley among others. Another factor that makes this even more daunting is I'm only getting subjects that show their true features. No lithos like the t206s and such. I thought I would give everybody a chance to see what I have so far, which you can check out on this photobucket link.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...rds/?start=all

I would also like to hear about other impossible dream collections that people are trying to assemble. Whether it be a complete set of Old Judges or something equally as challenging. I'd also like to hear how your progress is coming?

I know I will never complete this task but it sure is fun trying.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Dan Paradis

Clint, nice collection!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Very nice, I'm jealous of some of those postcards.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Agreed with Dan and Jeff. Very nice stuff
Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Wayne Walker

Great stuff. You need a Tinker ASAP!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Michael S

I like the collection. Thanks for sharing.

My sort of impossible dream is a complete E107 Boston American team subset. 5 down, 9 to go after 12 or so years and counting .
Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Tim Sigmon

Yes to Tinker!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Clint

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Yeah the Tinker has eluded me so far. I'm waiting for the right one. A decent Ramly would be my ideal piece or a great photo.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default type card set

As to the question of an impossible dream. It seems a complete ACC#, baseball, type card set may fit that description. Except for a few easy ones, and a few almost impossible ones, I am close to a subset from 1900-1949.....I was only 1-2 shy on the 19th century one when I ended up needing to redirect monies and bail out. It's been a lot of fun so far.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Excellent collection...I once had a dream of doing the same thing with Nebraska born players and prewar players who played minor league ball in Nebraska, but found it too daunting and decided to work only on Lincoln minor leagues.

btw Rip Hagerman won 54 games over three years for Lincoln from 1910-1912..I'm still researching this, but I think he may be the all time win leader for Lincoln minor league clubs.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Milan

What's the Milan from, Clint? I assume that cap is Wichita, not Washington.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Clint

Hank, I'm not sure what it is/was but it's of the Washington team. It has a string hanger on the back which makes me believe it might have been a calendar. I've never seen another though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000355.jpg (34.1 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 07-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Around 1990 a collecting friend said I should try to get a type card collection of Phillies. I took it one step further and spent nearly a year putting together a comprehensive list of every Phillie card produced between 1880-1989. The original list was nearly 30 pages with a very small 8 font. Since then I have trimmed it down to about 15 pages with a 10 font. I have spent the last thirty years collecting Phillies from this list. I have some truly rare examples but my list still contains some disgustingly expensive or seriously rare Phillies. But every now and then, I find something to cross off that list or find something new.

That is my impossible dream...to complete that run...

Joshua
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Around 1990 a collecting friend said I should try to get a type card collection of Phillies. I took it one step further and spent nearly a year putting together a comprehensive list of every Phillie card produced between 1880-1989. The original list was nearly 30 pages with a very small 8 font. Since then I have trimmed it down to about 15 pages with a 10 font. I have spent the last thirty years collecting Phillies from this list. I have some truly rare examples but my list still contains some disgustingly expensive or seriously rare Phillies. But every now and then, I find something to cross off that list or find something new.

That is my impossible dream...to complete that run...

Joshua
Joshua - cool project. If you ever get within spitting distance let me know and I am sure I can help with a few....somehow.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
JeR@Me

Default Thanks for sharing...

Clint - Great Collection! Thank you for sharing the pics. My collecting interest are similar to yours as I focus on a city (Nashville) primarily, but do bleed over into the State as well as other Southern League memorabilia. Typically if I collect other players, they had a cup of coffee in Nashville or are some how connected. My types range from 1895-2011.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SportingLife Nashville 1903 1.jpg (74.5 KB, 84 views)