NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Any Mattel Instant Replay Fans Out There?

When I was six or seven I got this neat disk player with picture disks of players that looked like little records. The sound quality was atrocious but the disks were way cool. Years later I rediscovered them and started collecting.

The Mattel IR player was a handheld playback device with a tinny sounding speaker that would play small records with snippets of sports moments on them. The player was sold in a boxed set with some disks. Other disks were issued in four-disk blister packs on a sport by sport basis, and in sport-specific eight-disk portfolios with booklets describing the content as well.

The first and by far most common issue were baseball, football and basketball disks, which are black disks with a paper applique sticker that has the artwork and information. The artwork is very '1970s' and appeals to any child of the era, like me.

A secondary issue exists as well, consisting of two-sided picture disks with the imagery in the plastic itself.

These are tougher to find. Hockey disks are found in this series.

Some of the 2 siders have a sports Challenge question logo with generic images on one side and answer-specific artwork on the other.

They are the toughest of the disks, in my experience; I guess they were not popular. I do not recall having any of them. Interestingly, the sports challenge format is the same logo as a later full sized illustrated 33 1/3 rpm record series by Scarab Productions. Both were associated with the syndicated game show/CBS tv show of the era since the logo is the same and Dick Enberg actually talked up the Mattel product on the show in 1973. I guess they were not content to let a crappy idea die so they made their own full-sized disks. Here is a full sized disk:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

I like these, they are different than most issues.
I'll try to dig up some of mine to share.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Jay Shelton

The Mattel Instant Replay discs are very cool. I remember them, but do not have any, but I do have my Mattel Talking Football game from 1972 which used the same small record technology; my player, called a broadcaster, still works great, and the game still plays fine with all the records. The 1972 Talking Baseball is the rarer of the two. Please share more photos/info of the Instant Replay discs....
Old 06-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Al Richter

Default Replay Disc

Had not seen these before. Neat items
Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or not...
Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Michael S

I loved these when I was a kid. I think I have about 40 Disc's someplace.
Here is the machine to play the disc's that I still have from childhood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mattel.jpg (77.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Mattel Memories

Yep, I had all the sports stars, I played those silly records all the time!
I wish I had kept them, like I had just about everything else from my collection as a youngster, but those little discs didn't make it.
I heard about Havlicek stealing the ball a few too many times though, so I might have chucked them

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mattel Instant Replay

Hey Adam:

I am too old to have been a kid when these came out, but just recently I have started to pick up some of these. I think I have 20 some in all sports except hockey.

They sort of go along with the other "record" issues like the Auravison, Columbia Baseball Series and the CMC Talking Baseball sets that I have.

I have been looking for a checklist of all those issued including the double sided. Do you have a checklist or can you supply a link that has one?

Same for the Sports Challenge Records. Is the set complete at 12? Any variations in either set? I think I have noticed different info on the lids of the boxes that the "record player" came in.

Appreciate any info you can supply.

Last edited by whiteymet; 06-19-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Marty

These are right in my childhood wheelhouse! As a kid, they were technologically cool - OK, it was the early 70s and I was like 8! - colorful, and featured many of my favorite players. I also recall that when you ejected the discs, they popped out fast, and they could be used as projectiles should the need arise!

Leave it to Fred to try to test my memory (again!) - I bought the player and it had four records in it - Willie Mays, Bart Starr, Lew Alcindor, and a Racing Car disc of some sort. I still have my player with the box, as well as a sealed unopened player I remember buying on close out a year later. Interestingly, they were sealed to allow you to open the box and read the info, but the player and the discs were sealed with plastic in the bottom half of the box. On the inside of the box top, I think it listed the players available in the set. I think the baseball players were listed as "coming soon" maybe. I do know that I found the football, basketball, and racing car discs in the stores in my area, but those promised baseball discs never showed up for me. All of the discs I saw as a kid were the single sided black edged discs. They were available in blister packs of 4, or in packs of 8 in a plastic folder that held the 8 discs and a small booklet that had information on the players.

Many years later, I did pick up the baseball discs that I never saw as a kid, again in the black backed version. I don't know much about the Sports Challenge discs - I have seen them but haven't really pursued them that much. The hockey are pretty tough - I am guessing very limited distribution in Northern US and/or Canada.

From what I recall that I have seen, here is what I think may have been produced.

Football - two sets of 8, with one set being harder to come by, and a Bart Starr that exists as a one-sided black disc or a two sided disc.

Basketball - one set of 8, plus Alcindor, who became Jabbar on the two sided disc. The basketball discs were also produced as two sided discs.

Baseball - One set of 8, plus Mays, all available as two sided discs as well.

Hockey - One set of 8, all produced (only) as two sided discs.

Racing - Not sure if it was one set of 8 or two sets of 8, plus the one that came with the player. Never been a racing fan! All one sided discs, except for the one racing disc that was sold with the player, which probably exists as two sided as well.

If someone has seen something different for these, please feel free to correct me! I can post pictures of some of these, but they are still hiding out at my parents' house - somewhere! As I recall, I think I have a bunch of the 4 and 8 disc packs for football, basketball, and maybe the race cars. I think I have a few singles kicking around here somewhere.

Happy collecting!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Default Instant Replay discs

I have several in the gold colored plastic binder that was made to hold them. I just came across them a couple weeks ago, along with my 1972 Sunoco football stamps.
If I remember correctly, I have a mix of baseball, football and basketball, and maybe a racing one.
I will scan them this weekend if I get a chance.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There were two Sports Challenge boxing disks, both two-sided: Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson. Here is Frazier:

Or not...
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
There were two Sports Challenge boxing disks, both two-sided: Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson. Here is Frazier:

Wow! That looks a helluva lot more like Ken Norton than Smokin' Joe Frazier.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mattel Instant Replay Discs

Hi Guys:

I have done a little research (basically looking on ebay) and have pieced together the below checklist that I am NOT saying is complete or correct. Please look it over and LMK any additions/corrections you may have. I am sure there will be many!

Thanks,

Fred

Baseball Black plastic:

Aaron, Banks, Clemente, Kaline, Koufax, Maris, Mays, McCovey, Oliva, F. Robinson, Seaver, Stargell

Baseball Double sided White plastic:

Verified: Banks, Kaline, Mays McCovey, F. Robinson, Seaver, Stargell. I BELEVE all of the above come in Double sided as well

Football:

Anderson, Barney, Brodie, Butkus, Hayes, Jurgeson, Karras, Kelly, Lamonica, Mackey, Morrall, Namath, Olsen, Page, Sayers, Simpson, Starr

Basketball:

Alcindor, Baylor, Chamberlain, Havlicek, Jabbar/Alcindor (may only come double sided), , Lucas, Maravich, Reed, Robertson, Russell (may only come double sided), West

Hockey:

Cournoyer, P. Esposito, T. Espostio, Giacomin, Howe, Mahalovich, Orr, Plante

Believe all come double sided as well

Misc./Speed:

AA Rail Dragster, Bonneville Jet Car, F-4 Phantom Jet, Formula 1 Car, Funny Car Racing, Gold Cup Hydrofoil, Indy Racer, P-51 Mustang, T.T. Motorcycle

SPORTS CHALLENGE DOUBLESIDED:

Basketball Auerbach, Boxing Frazier, Hockey Richard, Boxing Sugar Ray Robinson
Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mattel

ive never seen the koufax clemente or maris
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mattel Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
ive never seen the koufax clemente or maris
Hey Larry:

Not saying that they exist. I have not seen them either. I got the info off of the PSA Set Composition List.

See:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTR...on.aspx?c=9841

Could PSA be WRONG??? Never heard of such a thing. :>)

Fred
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mattel

maris and koufax are in the pop report...just looked
no clemente in there
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Marty

I'm wondering if the few extras are really part of the Sport Challenge series?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Mattel Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
I'm wondering if the few extras are really part of the Sport Challenge series?
Hey Marty:

Good memory! There was a Maris/RuthSports Challange Record on ebay back in January. Photo is gone, but here is the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310803253082...082%26_rdc%3D1

But I still have to wonder why PSA had the three Larry has not seen listed in the set Composition with the other "regular" records.

Fred
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I haven't seen any single-sided [black] hockey disks. Anyone who has one please post it.

The Esposito brothers, Howe and Mahovlich were issued together two-sided in a single blister pack designated "Hockey Stars 1"

The Frazier disk does look like Norton but it also looks like Frazier in the era:

More to the point, Norton hadn't really accomplished anything by 1971 while Frazier had defied all expectations by dropping Ali in their first fight and winning a decision.

The Sugar Ray is most definitely him:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-21-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Marty

Hey Fred!

I am wondering if they just classified both the player sets and the Sports Challenge discs as "1971 Mattel Instant Replay" without distinguishing them. Seems as though PSA's heart may not have been into this set, since they stopped grading it!

From your list, I suspect the Clemente, Koufax and Maris in the baseball section, and the Bill Russell in the basketball are all really from the SC series. I think I saw a listing on eBay for the Russell several years ago and if I recall correctly it was a double sided Sports Challenge disc.