NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2022, 10:00 AM

Default 50-Post Rule

..In keeping with the 50-post rule for showing a pre-war card :

Old 07-15-2022, 10:24 AM

This will be my 4th National but first in 4 years so heck yeah I'm excited! Covid ruined the past two years and honestly covid is on the rise big time right now so I fully expect to finally get the vid and have a mass outbreak linked to the National. Even so I'm looking forward to it. If your going just assume your going to get it.

I don't care too much about what is outside of the show as far as attractions, how nice the area is, etc. because my main focus is on the cards and talking with people collecting post-war vintage.

The main thing for me is how much space a venue has for people to spread out and see everything on the tables and in that aspect Cleveland wins hands down, followed by AC, and lastly Chicago. If you have to look around people to see cards in showcases, how fun is that? So I'm hopeful it gets back to Cleveland every 3rd year. Cleveland is so massive that they could expand the number of dealers by 30% and still have plenty of space.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
This will be my 4th National but first in 4 years so heck yeah I'm excited! Covid ruined the past two years and honestly covid is on the rise big time right now so I fully expect to finally get the vid and have a mass outbreak linked to the National. Even so I'm looking forward to it. If your going just assume your going to get it.

I don't care too much about what is outside of the show as far as attractions, how nice the area is, etc. because my main focus is on the cards and talking with people collecting post-war vintage.

The main thing for me is how much space a venue has for people to spread out and see everything on the tables and in that aspect Cleveland wins hands down, followed by AC, and lastly Chicago. If you have to look around people to see cards in showcases, how fun is that? So I'm hopeful it gets back to Cleveland every 3rd year. Cleveland is so massive that they could expand the number of dealers by 30% and still have plenty of space.
Cleveland could probably expand by well more than 30%. Those curtains on the northern side of the IX Center's main floor weren't there to cover up blank walls. There were there to cut off the room to only the space they needed. They didn't want to have all the extra space just open. They probably need to limit the number of exhibitors so it doesn't exceed the number that can be fit into the other smaller venues they've held the National at. Doubt that would go over well with a lot of dealers if they opened the National up to many more of them in Cleveland, and then had to boot a lot of them out in subsequent years because they couldn't fit them into the Chicago, AC, or other venues.

And there are multiple floors to the IX Center as well. Years ago I seem to remember Tri-Star hosting a large autograph oriented show on the first sub-level, as the main floor was too big and would make the show seem more like some kids running a lemonade stand in a Walmart parking lot. They could literally give the various groups, autograph area/pavilion, breaker's area/pavilion, AHs or TPGs, their own room(s) if you will.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:56 PM
Greg C

"The Nationals"
Old 07-23-2022, 05:11 AM
P.aul Orl,in

I am going for the first time in some years, since I am in NY for a bit and can get down there. how can you not be excited to go to a National? get to see so many great cards and memorabilia in person. hopefully I can find a few things I need to finish some sets. sure will be better than other random summer days.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Jeff P

I can't wait!!! It's within driving distance for me so really enjoy not having to deal with the airport, etc this year. The last time it was in AC I was there as well and thought the show and city was just fine.

But I'd probably go if the Natty was in Des Moines, Iowa so I'm probably not normal, LOL.

jeff
Old 07-23-2022, 06:20 AM
Albert Bee

Default Nat

Oh yes, going
Old 07-23-2022, 07:27 AM
Al Wright

I was super excited to get to my first National. I live in Ocean County, NJ so it's a real nice little day trip for me.

That said, with the recent Covid numbers and me being a few weeks short of 74, although vaccinated and boosted, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

For everyone who gets there have a great one!
Old 07-23-2022, 07:49 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I'm probably not going this year. Like I've been saying for awhile now, the novelty of attending the National is over. It's really just a large social meetup nowadays. And, the ones on here who say you want to meet other Net54 members, that will really be difficult with so many people at the show, unless you arrange beforehand to meet.
Attachment 524948
You know you're going to leave me with no one to say "How the Hell are you?"
Old 07-23-2022, 07:51 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I think the Dallas show is 5 or 6 times a year too. Houston has twice the population and just reduced their big show to once a year. I'd think a National in Houston would probably be cheaper and nearly as easy to get to.
The dealers do get a chance to vote on going to Houston and frankly although it's driving distance for me, who in the heck wants to go to Houston during the middle of the summer.

Rich
Old 07-23-2022, 10:42 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If Houston is being considered then why not Orlando, FL or West Palm Beach, which has a beautiful new convention Center, loads of fine hotel and restaurants and easy access.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:14 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
The dealers do get a chance to vote on going to Houston and frankly although it's driving distance for me, who in the heck wants to go to Houston during the middle of the summer.

Rich
Yeah...This Summer has been especially miserable. But Houston hosts every other thing, so why not the National? It's not like you go to the National to sit outside.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Just like 2016 did, this National will bring lots of collectors from the east coast, some from the middle of the country, and few from the west coast.
True... but I would insert the word "very" in front of "few".
Old 07-23-2022, 02:34 PM
Jason Wells

Always and I have a fun train trip planned to get their.

Last edited by Jason; 07-23-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:45 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I don't care where it is, I wish I could go this year, but I can't. Best wishes to everyone who attends.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I'm very excited!

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 07-23-2022, 03:02 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

counting the hours ……
Old 07-23-2022, 03:03 PM
T0m P00n

If you're a collector and you love cardboard, and you're going to attend the National, how can one not be excited?
Old 07-24-2022, 02:52 PM
Hank Thomas

There's nothing like walking into a National the first day you're there. If you're dead to it, you must be dead to the hobby.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:00 PM
Johnny MaZilli

When is the earliest you can go ? Wednesday afternoon?
Old 07-24-2022, 04:23 PM

Default Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
There's nothing like walking into a National the first day you're there. If you're dead to it, you must be dead to the hobby.

Well said!

Please send me your address. I would like to return the Walter Johnson book you gave me to read in Chantilly.

Toby
Old 07-24-2022, 06:51 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Well said! Please send me your address. I would like to return the Walter Johnson book you gave me to read in Chantilly. Toby
Hi Toby,
Was it my book, or the Roger Treat book, I can't remember anything these days. In either case, you are welcome to keep it or pass it on to someone else.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:33 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
When is the earliest you can go ? Wednesday afternoon?
Tuesday is dealer set up. I've heard that's the day on the down low where lots of good stuff get's purchased/traded among dealers and those lucky enough to have a dealer's badge.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 07-24-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:49 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Have been selling my dupes for weeks trying to build a kitty to buy like crazy at the National - really excited and appreciate the advice from all.

Slightly off topic question - my daughter has a high-grade Pokémon card that she has asked me to help her sell... think there will be any opportunity to sell it in AC? It's probably a $400-500 card, I'm told.

Thanks - see you in AC!

Jeff
Old 07-25-2022, 09:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'd say extremely likely there will be a reasonably deep Pokemon contingent.

QUOTE=Belfast1933;2245668]Have been selling my dupes for weeks trying to build a kitty to buy like crazy at the National - really excited and appreciate the advice from all.

Slightly off topic question - my daughter has a high-grade Pokémon card that she has asked me to help her sell... think there will be any opportunity to sell it in AC? It's probably a $400-500 card, I'm told.

Thanks - see you in AC!

Jeff[/QUOTE]