NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

Default 51 Bowman Football Question

Some time ago, I completed the '51 Bowman Football set. It's a beautiful set and one of my favorites. My question is this. I completed the set with relative ease thanks to a starter set from my Dad, when he had these as a kid. However, about 20 or so had the corners "clipped." I did not use those for my set. The cards, of course, consisted of 3 Tittle's, a Van Brocklin, and a Baugh. Ouch! The cards still looked great, crease free, stain free, except the corners were simply clipped off. My Dad said kids back in the day used to do this. ?? Anybody ever hear of this? Also, is there a market or a value for these star cards in that condition? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Back in the day kids played with their cards. I have seen cards with clipped corners, but not really that often. Cards may have been mounted in a vintage album using "corner mounts" and damaged when removed? Then "clipped" to improve the looks of the card?

And those star cards with clipped corners definitely have value! But since they were your Dads, I'd hold on to them. Heck I'd probably get them graded!

Larry
Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 AM
M.ichael Yaz.back

Thanks, Larry. I agree. I will hold on to them because they were my Dad's. I'm only the second owner since 1951...so pretty cool. My dad said he doesn't remember clipping the corners himself. So who knows. Interestingly, when he gave me the box of 51 football, there was some '52, '53, and '54 Topps BASEBALL mixed in..about a dozen. Just commons, not a whole lot of value. Then he says, and I kid you not, "I could have sworn I had a Mickey Mantle in there." ....Nowhere to be found...OMG